Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I break a shackle lock?

Options
  • 03-11-2005 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    To cut a long story short, I've lost my keys. And on the keyring was the last key for my bike lock (the others having broken cos the lock got rusty and stiff).

SO, my bike is now locked to the railings on front of my house.

I've got a new lock.

But how the hell do I get the other lock off? Its a standard Ushaped shackle lock. And its quite strong :(

Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

As the Fire Brigade.
    I saw them help a guy out in town, with some large bolt cutting device.
    I hope that the ownership was confirmed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

You can buy a grinder on caple street for about €15, some eye goggles and about 20 seconds will see it gone ;)

Sometimes a car jack'll bust 'em open, just be careful not to end up with it stuck in you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Its locked INSIDE the railings that are in front of my house.

daymobrew, the fire brigade will tell me to F off! (still, nice try!! ;) )

Ferror - where on Capel street can you get an angle grinder for 15 squid??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you have a decent hammer, those U locks are simple enough to open. I lost my keys in school once and within two minutes the handyman chap was able to open my lock by hitting the end where you put the key in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Simona1986 wrote:
    If you have a decent hammer, those U locks are simple enough to open. I lost my keys in school once and within two minutes the handyman chap was able to open my lock by hitting the end where you put the key in.
    I agree. A good smash with a hammer should do the trick.
    Make sure the round bit of the lock is up against the fence and not your bike to avoid a dent.

• Advertisement

If that works I shall recommend you all for a promotion!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I know it works with pad locks ive done it meself as I lost the key for me tool box pad lock.Its worth a try,be percise with it,hit it from different angles and different strength blows...one of them should work.U could also try a car jack...I here that works...but never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Car jack works sweet just don't crank it too fast

quad_red wrote:
    Ferror - where on Capel street can you get an angle grinder for 15 squid??

Try metro tools, (opposite mc quillans) had them in a while back...

It was actually surprisingly (and rather disconcertingly) easy in the end.

As per Simonas diagram, I whacked the barrel of the lock with a hammer and it was off after around 20 blows (it would've been less had the angle not been so awkward).

I now have a new lock with lots and lots of keys so this doesn't happen again. And its not a shackle lock - cos as I've just proved, they are cack!

Thanks to one and all!
    Quad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Shackle is cack you say... interesting. But is it cack by design, or cack by manufacture? (ie what make was your U lock?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Another trick I heard of was to use the bicycle itself as a lever and just start twisting it around. I dunno if I'd test this myself now on an aluminum frame...

Gav

Reminds me of this, "the pen is mightier than the lock":
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/7796925370303347:eek:

Think it was posted before but it's always very entertaining :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Those U locks are complete rubbish they cost me my new Raleigh mtb last year. My present bike has 3 locks which cost me 100euro but worth it if it scares away scanger thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Have had success with a hammer myself also, although in my case the lock wasn't fully locked properly (key broke in the lock, hence the necessity.)

Advertisement