Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eL deciders to be televised

• 03-11-2005 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Premier games down for TV coverage

November 2, 2005

Three eircom League Premier Division games involving top three Cork City, Derry City and Shelbourne will be screened live in the coming weeks as the race for the league title goes down to the wire.

Going into the final fortnight of the campaign, Cork lead the way on goal difference ahead of Derry, although the Leesiders have a game in hand on their closest rivals.

Shelbourne, six points further back, are still in with a chance – but need both the top two to slip up in order to claim a third championship in succession.

The live action begins on Friday week, November 11th with Setanta Sports showing Cork’s clash with Shels, while RTE will carry live coverage of Derry’s meeting with St Patrick’s Athletic three days later.

Pending results in those games, the final evening meeting of Cork and Derry at Turners Cross – to be broadcast on RTE 2 – will either be a celebratory outing for one side or the other or, more likely, a dramatic title decider.

Good news. I'll be at the Shels-Cork game (nabbed me a press pass so I'll hopefully get to ask Wes about his future) and I'd really love to get to the title decider if it happens, but I've a feeling some Cork/Derry fans might have something to say about that. A night of a few cans sitting around the telly might be in order so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Thats great to be honest night in watching the tv with a few cans great stuff. Eh wouldnt mind going to that shelbourne and cork game not to far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sarge wrote:
    Thats great to be honest night in watching the tv with a few cans great stuff. Eh wouldnt mind going to that shelbourne and cork game not to far away.

Should be a good game, we'll be in full voice regardless of whether theres something at stake or not. In fact I'll be singing louder if there's nothing for us to play for.

Its been a while since i was in tolka park :) , gee i think the last time was AHEM when we won the cup. Let me gets this straight shels actually have FANS that sing , how much noise can ten people make :P

Sarge wrote:
    Let me gets this straight shels actually have FANS that sing , how much noise can ten people make :P

Were you not at Landsdowne last year? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its a pity that this even deserves its own thread, as it should be the norm that such ties be televised :rolleyes:

That said, this season, we have been very lucky in whats been televised - most of the big games, apart from Derry and Shels a few weeks ago, have all been on telly, and even some crap like Longford and Waterford (what were TG4 thinking?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Should all be great games anyways. Tell Wes you'll cry if he doesn't stay! ;()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

gimmick wrote:
    and even some crap like Longford and Waterford (what were TG4 thinking?).

although it was ****, every team deserves to be shown imo

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Should all be great games anyways. Tell Wes you'll cry if he doesn't stay! ;()

I actually will.

(Cry, that is)

Just a quick question can you see him leaving shelbourne and champions league football(well the chance of it) to sign for some 1st division team or even any other eircom league team ?

Sarge wrote:
    Just a quick question can you see him leaving shelbourne and champions league football(well the chance of it) to sign for some 1st division team or even any other eircom league team ?

Where are Shelbourne in the league again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

That's great news! I'd urge any non-EL supporters to check out those matches...you might be suprised by the quality, and if nothing else, you'll get to see the dramatic climax to a great season of your national league :)

Yeah but the chance is still there , isnt it :) i know it may not happen but anything can happen in this life . Also i firmly believe that if shelbourne can keep the team togther next season they wil have no issue's qualifying for the group stages of uefa cup. Lets be honest he aint going to leave shes for corkc or derry anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lol were gonna stuff Derry live on tv :D

kdjac

^ Is that a promise kdjac?

That should be a good game anyway. The one a few months ago was a cracker.
    Sarge wrote:
    Yeah but the chance is still there , isnt it :) i know it may not happen but anything can happen in this life . Also i firmly believe that if shelbourne can keep the team togther next season they wil have no issue's qualifying for the group stages of uefa cup. Lets be honest he aint going to leave shes for corkc or derry anyway.

Your beginning to sould like our old friend The Jolly Roger there now (what ever happened him anyways?) - Shels have their squad at the moment, and have done fúck all with it, while CCFC and DCFC will most certainly strengthen. Not to mention that Shels arent in the UEFA cup, and if they do, its through the abck door.

As for the possiblity of them winning the league, well, thats very doubtful as they woill have to win their remaining 3, and hope that City and Derry each get less than 4 points from the remaining ficxtures, and even at that, its down to goal difference, so no chance barring an unbelievable collapse from both sids.

Yeah but Gimmick i think Waterford gonna stuff you on friday.

kdjac

gimmick wrote:
    ^ Is that a promise kdjac?

That should be a good game anyway. The one a few months ago was a cracker.

Your beginning to sould like our old friend The Jolly Roger there now (what ever happened him anyways?) - Shels have their squad at the moment, and have done fúck all with it, while CCFC and DCFC will most certainly strengthen. Not to mention that Shels arent in the UEFA cup, and if they do, its through the abck door.

As for the possiblity of them winning the league, well, thats very doubtful as they woill have to win their remaining 3, and hope that City and Derry each get less than 4 points from the remaining ficxtures, and even at that, its down to goal difference, so no chance barring an unbelievable collapse from both sids.
    We won't win the league, but second is a possibility... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

To be honest, I'm confident about next year too. 9 wins out of 10 but more to the point, in those games we've finally played the kind of football we should have been playing all season and Nutsy finally picked (Or more to the point, didn't pick) certain players and we've clicked. If we keep the same team as before and lose some squad players (Moore, Baker, sadly Glen Fitz, Crawley, Flemming mainly) and add in a good left back, I think we'll be very difficult to top next season.

Cork need a striker badly, if they get one they'll be a better team again next year, so next season should be very interesting.

Slash/ED wrote:
    sadly Glen Fitz

Pity he hasn't got a chance this year. Rumours of Gary O'Neill leaving too, but I think he has been excellent recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KdjaC wrote:
    Yeah but Gimmick i think Waterford gonna stuff you on friday.

kdjac

Thats what I like to hear :D

Got my ticket today

O'Neill has recently beaten Glen Crowe to the No.9 shirt; can't see him wanting out. Though I can understand him being weary earlier in the campaign!

Fitzer, alas, there's a sob story. The man is a legend, and class too. But he's not been given his game this year, and I can't say I'd blame him if he wants out. isn't his contract up now? :(

27 points from 30, if we can carry that form into next season we will be a force to be reckoned with!! As will Cork if they can keep a fit striker on their books! Derry's close season dealings will be interesting indeed. I think Bohs and Drogs will be somewhat stronger too next year, 2006 is gonna be fantabulous!! ;)

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Pity he hasn't got a chance this year. Rumours of Gary O'Neill leaving too, but I think he has been excellent recently.

O'Neill I can't see leaving. Why want out? For the first time in his career he's first choice at a top club, things are going very well for him at the moment, he must be loving it.

Fitz is another story as mentioned. Can't blame him if he wants out, and can't help but get the feeling he'll come back to haunt us.

However, the rumour is he's off to Linfield. Which is good as at least we wont face them that much, but in even better news, they supposedly want to sign Crawley too :D Good lord, if we manage to actually get money for him it'll be the happiest day of my life. We just need to get a good left back in next season and we will be some side again.

Slash/ED wrote:
    However, the rumour is he's off to Linfield. Which is good as at least we wont face them that much, but in even better news, they supposedly want to sign Crawley too :D Good lord, if we manage to actually get money for him it'll be the happiest day of my life. We just need to get a good left back in next season and we will be some side again.

Marred perhaprs by the departure of Fitzer. But by God, money for Crawley? Really?! I'm pissing myself laughing already! ;) Could we throw in Richie Baker for free?

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Marred perhaprs by the departure of Fitzer. But by God, money for Crawley? Really?! I'm pissing myself laughing already! ;) Could we throw in Richie Baker for free?

Why not? Letting Linfield take the Setanta prize money is the single greatest thing to ever happen to Shelbourne. My god the foresight.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Why not? Letting Linfield take the Setanta prize money is the single greatest thing to ever happen to Shelbourne. My god the foresight.

It all makes sense now...

It was a clever plan all along. All hail Lord Nutsy! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

is the setanta cup going to be larger this year?

It is indeed. Its now 4 teams from each league.

Dungannon Swifts, Glentoran, Linfield and Portadown from the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

and who gets qualification from here?

League cup , Fai cup winners and top 2.

Derry Shels Cork and Drogs by the looks of it.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement