Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Key Cutting

Options
  • 03-11-2005 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

I lost my car keys last week and I'll have to get one cut.
    It's a '99 Mazda.
    Because the car has an immobiliser, I've been told it will cost something like €70.

Is this about right?
    Anyone else gotten one cut?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭judesherry

That’s about right if you have a spare key to copy it off. My only key was stolen and had to get the garage to get the lock out of the door and take it apart in order to get the key number it cost me €200. If you’re lucky the garage where the car was originally bought might have the key number or the Mazda head quarters might keep a copy of all key numbers. This means they don’t have to take the lock apart or reprogram the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Similar happened on an old toyota I had, but all they needed was the chassis number to cut the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

'99 mazda will have a chip in the key and it can be copied by some locksmiths - 70 europeans is a good price for a replacement key these days, a locksmiths in Galway charge garages €45 to replicate keys. I was quoted 300 to get a new one from Renault (robbers).

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

I'm in a similar situation with my Ford Focus (2000). Do I have to contact a Ford dealer to get a 2nd key cut? Anyone have any idea how much this will set me back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

I'm in a similar situation with my Ford Focus (2000). Do I have to contact a Ford dealer to get a 2nd key cut? Anyone have any idea how much this will set me back?

hi m8,
    brown brothers in dun laoghaire will cut ford keys.or try esmondes in stillorgan i think the charge €19 ,thats how much i was quoted for '98 mondeo with 'red chip' in the key.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

Cheers that sounds very reasonable alright - it's something I've been putting off for ages - might give them a ring now so.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

mondeoman wrote:
    hi m8,
    brown brothers in dun laoghaire will cut ford keys.or try esmondes in stillorgan i think the charge €19 ,thats how much i was quoted for '98 mondeo with 'red chip' in the key.

Hi
    I went to them with my Skoda Felicia 1996 (model). At that time the key had a single edge and had a chip. I didn't go to main dealers for key programming. I wanted to hide spare on car, for door access only, in case locked keys in car. Cost €3.50ea' ( not original skoda blank). Made a return trip with my second felicia (2000 model), only to be told cost of key cut(without programming,they coudn't do programming themselves)was € 50. Reason was cost of blanks (new smooth edge key, think it's called blade type).
    But Brown brothers themselves...nice guys.& no bullsh*t from them

t

Advertisement