Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On a tight budget: Looking for a web designer to do a personal site

Options
  • 03-11-2005 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Ive probably no more than 300 to 500 euros to spend on a personal site Im looking to get up before Christmas. Nothing too exaustive, just a nice pro look with a flash intro.

With tools like Swish out there now making things like this easier than ever are there any takers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Red Kooga wrote:
    just a nice pro look with a flash intro.
    *brain explodes*

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

no one with any sense uses flash intros anymore. They are a waste of time.

Maybe have a nice little animation on the homepage instead.

What is your site going to be about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

Swish? Flash intro? :D

For 500 I'm sure someone could knock up a basic design and do some CSS'age. You're far better off getting a small, standards-compliant brochureware site than a Frontpage job with a crappy Flash intro. Plus Flash is time-consuming to do properly - and it's tough to find anyone who's half-way decent. A nice simple XHTML site is all you need by the sound of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Hey Red Kooka, you get sorted yet? I might be insterested... :)

• Advertisement

Red Kooka sent you a pm .. no reply yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Cr8or wrote:
    Red Kooka sent you a pm .. no reply yet?
    Hey Cr8or, I wont step on your toes ;)

Maybe post if you hear anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Whats the status on this project?

I wouldn't mind doing it. I need the money to get my car loan paid off. PM me if you interested and want to see some of my portfolio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Red Kooga

Could anyone PM'ing please include links to past work, thanks. I'll be replying to those sent already tonight and tomorrow, one link in particular caught my eye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

grahamor wrote:
    no one with any sense uses flash intros anymore. They are a waste of time.
    Flash intros are fine on entertainment sites, just like they've always been, just like they've always been a bad idea on information sites. It's all about using the right tool for the right job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Flash intros are fine on entertainment sites, just like they've always been, just like they've always been a bad idea on information sites. It's all about using the right tool for the right job.

No, flash intros are never appropriate anywhere. Have you ever gone to a site and thought, "Oh, joy, a flash intro"? No, of course you haven't. And neither has anybody else, besides Macromedia shareholders.

rsynnott wrote:
    Have you ever gone to a site and thought, "Oh, joy, a flash intro"?
    I don't think "oh joy" about anything, but I have gone to sites with flash intros and enjoyed them. The NRG site, for example, used to have the best flash intro I've ever seen - not anymore, unfortunately, and the site is a lot worse off because of that - and their clients had incredible intros too. If people in the enterainment industry didn't... entertain, we'd all be very bored bunnies.

(Your opinion doesn't make you right btw. Show me stats that back up your assertion and then I'll believe you. By the same token I'll add to the above that I'm not suggesting that entertainment site /should/ have flash intros, just that the opinion of a few shouldn't dictate what feels right to the designer.)

adam

*blinks*

Okay, I stand corrected. You're the first person I've ever seen admit to liking them personally.

I'll keep my FlashBlock for a while longer, I think :)

rsynnott wrote:
    *blinks*
    ;)
    Okay, I stand corrected. You're the first person I've ever seen admit to liking them personally.
    Liking some of them. Most of them are rubbish, but that's the fault of the designer, not the concept itself.
    I'll keep my FlashBlock for a while longer, I think :)
    Let's not go down the Firefox road... again... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭denhamd2

IMO its best to steer clear of flash intro's. I can do you up a nice graphically designed site which is fully CSS/XHTML complient for less than 500 euros. Please PM me if you need more details.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Let's not go down the Firefox road... again... :)

What do you mean?
    denhamd2 wrote:
    IMO its best to steer clear of flash intro's. I can do you up a nice graphically designed site which is fully CSS/XHTML complient for less than 500 euros. Please PM me if you need more details.

Hmm, are you aware that the "Cheap Irish Web Hosting" in your sig is located somewhere in Canada? I wasn't aware we'd annexed it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭denhamd2

my mistake, I had meant something along the lines of "An Irish Company Which Provides Cheap Web Hosting" in an abbrieviated form, I will change it now. cheers.

denhamd2 wrote:
    my mistake, I had meant something along the lines of "An Irish Company Which Provides Cheap Web Hosting" in an abbrieviated form, I will change it now. cheers.

Good, good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

rsynnott wrote:
    Good, good...

Hiyah Robbie :D

Seriously though OP you couild use a pre-written xhtml/css based template system which can be dynamically driven via mysql/php for updating txt/images via an online control panel...

Plenty of free stuff over at www.hotscripts.com which could do it - then you can spend most of your 3-500euro on a reasonable design template...

pm me if you want details on some of the stuff I use.......

smeggle wrote:
    Hiyah Robbie :D

*hides*

• Advertisement

Keep the PMs coming, am still undecided. Does access to the control panel for me and Admin come with most designs?

To those Ive yet to reply to, I will before the week is out.

no thats a web hosting or cms service

Ive made up my mind on this one and Id like to thank anyone who took the time to PM me offering their services. I recieved over 20 PMs altogether so apologies if I didnt get to reply personally to you.

Cheers ;)

Red Kooga wrote:
    I recieved over 20 PMs altogether so apologies if I didnt get to reply personally to you.

:eek:
    They circle like sharks, beneath the inky waves. Apparently.

Advertisement