Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Narrowing in Corrib Park

• 03-11-2005 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why the corpo are narrowing the road that goes from Newcastle over to Rahoon through Corrib park? they have built raised areas which narrow the road to a single lane. Theres no indictation of who gets right of way or anything and i've seen a fair few near misses where folks arent willing to stop on either side.

This looks like some real idiot engineering.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Dundhoone wrote:
    Anyone know why the corpo are narrowing the road that goes from Newcastle over to Rahoon through Corrib park? they have built raised areas which narrow the road to a single lane. Theres no indictation of who gets right of way or anything and i've seen a fair few near misses where folks arent willing to stop on either side.

This looks like some real idiot engineering.:rolleyes:

Idiot Engineering? You'd know...
    It's called a traffic calming system aimed at slowing vehicles down on approach to it, what with the amount of pedestrians in the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I think the project isint complete as there is no lighting or signage there.
    I'd say one lane will become a Yield, and they *HAVE* to put some damn lights up.. I nearly drove straight into it the last night... (Clever me, I know)

It is a bit of a silly idea IMO, they'd have been better off putting some soft ramps there.. its just too damn narrow. That is traffic stoppage, not traffic calming, I can predict many accidents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

They need to slow and stop people taking that road as a short cut. I think it should work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Aye , im an engineer but not a roads engineer so maybe theres some logic involved somewhere.

Not afraid to admit that (other!) engineers make a balls of it sometimes!

Yeah but i've seen a lot of better ideas for slowing traffic other than directing traffic into head on collision.

Whats wrong with good old speed bumps???? lots of em together work really well and arent as dangerous as whats been put in place now. I really cant imagine that is in any traffic calming manual anywhere, and im going to have a bloody good look to find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

It certainly looks like the council gave a four year old free reign in planning this one!
    I mean how many of these obsticles do we need???
    then lights half way through!why dont they just put a 8 foot wall either end and block off the road altogether!
    I wonder were the locals consulted?
    If I was a betting man!
    I will think twice about travelling this route on my way home(claremont park)
    I.E a local!
    All they are doing is moving the problem else where!
    johnnyboy4711:confused::confused::confused:

the local joyriders now have somewhere to play Chicken!nice one Galway CC!!!
    Arginite,where exactly is that road a shortcut to?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's a 'shortcut' to avoid the traffic jam that builds up from the roundabout on the seamus quirke road.
    There are quite a number of students in that area who rely on walking/cycling to get around and you may have noticed there is nowhere safe for pedestrians to cross anywhere along that route!

personally i see motorists constantly speeding every day(50kph +) around that area, where you can't see the car coming around that bend near the entrance to john coogan park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

i live very near it and hope that they put in traffic lights otherwise id say there'll be an accident very soon. oh and while we're talking about idiot engineering in that area, whats the story with the fence they put at the end of the path which comes from corrib park to the first road narrowing thing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Dundhoone wrote:
    Whats wrong with good old speed bumps???? lots of em together work really well and arent as dangerous as whats been put in place now.

agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The kerbs are not that wide I'd say a car could nearly go over them with the wheels on either side. That would be funny :D
    I guess I'll have to stick to the back roads around drom and tonabrocky to avoid the traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Ohh they stuck bollards on them.
    They have put up some yield signs as well.
    It looks like traffic comming from knocknacarra direction is expected to yield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

All this items are going to do is slow traffic to standstill!
    As if we need something to slow traffic down when its already bumper to bumper in the evening anyway!!!
    the majority of people that use this road are from the area and there is no way of taking it to get a short cut!
    Yet another Galway COCO plan that has not been thought through!
    God in Heaven help us!!!!
    The lunatics are running the aslyum!

Advertisement