Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldinho Nike Ad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Looks like he's kicking the ball against a wall behind the goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

p.pete wrote:
    Looks like he's kicking the ball against a wall behind the goals?

Yeah, thought that myself. The first one looks real enough, but when the camera pulls out it just looks dodgy.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The first one definitely hits the bar. When it zooms out the quality is too poor to judge but I wouldn't put it past Ronaldinho. :) Actually, I've just watched the 2nd kick about 10 times over and it certainly was on target for the bar so that looks real too. I think the 3rd (or 4th) bounces off the bar then the back wall and out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

looks fake the way the ball drops back to him the exact same way every time, although you wouldnt know what that guy could make a ball do...some skills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

actually just watched it again i reckon its real

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

As unbelievable as it seems to be able to hit the crossbar 4 times in a row with that level of precision I think I'm going to give JarJar the benefit of the doubt on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Its fake, but class all the same. Very well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nunu wrote:
    Its fake, but class all the same. Very well done.

It is not fake! he is that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:

Had a look again on that link and it does seem to be real.

B.

• Advertisement

Lads of course it is real...It is not that hard at all. Ronaldinho has phenemonal technique.

Michael Carrick can also do it. I remember watching on BBC he has it on the penalty spot and aims for the post repeatedly. Of course Ronaldinho does it far better and on the volley and much further out but that is because he is the best player in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ah come on, are you for real! While it may not be too hard to hit the crossbar 4 times in a row it is next near impossible to hit the bar at the same angle repeatedly on the volley so that it comes back to you on the same spot. We're talking millimetres here.
    No matter how real it looks, and if you ask me it doesn't look right every time it comes back to him - it sort of floats - it's not real. It's a nike ad for jaysus sake, of course he's going to hit the bar 4 times. Otherwise it would be a crap ad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Every week on soccer am teams off professional footballers find it hard to hit the goal, nevermind the bar, in the crossbar challenge. There not a hope its real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That has got to be fake. I know Ronaldinho's a god but the way the ball comes back off the crossbar... he doesn't hit it hard enough for it to come back all the way to him. I mean he kind of lobs the first one and it just doesn't look like he hit it hard enough for it to go all the way back to him. He would have to drill it for it to go all the way back to him, but if he drilled it the angle would be wrong.

Right just looked at it properly and you are a bunch of eejits :D . It's totally fake. the net doesnt even move. He's hitting it off a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You realise he could have tried to do this a couple of hundred times.
    It is an ad afterall, I'd say if he tried this maybe 200 times that he could do it

Stekelly wrote:
    Right just looked at it properly and you are a bunch of eejits :D . It's totally fake. the net doesnt even move. He's hitting it off a wall.

Yes he's definitely hitting it against the wall behind the goal, you can see if you follow the ball closely on the first one he does. The others the zoom on the camera retracts and it's too hard to see (which obviously means this is a fake). What puts you off is that the back of the net (maybe even the crossbar, I can't make out) kind of shakes on the first one.

Actually I watched it again and I'm still not 100%

Stekelly wrote:

What exactly is fake? the fact he is doing it off a crossbar or a wall? It is still slick as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

i cant even believe people are trying to defend this, if he could do this he would be scoring every free kick/shot with pinpoint accuracy. The bar and being able to hit it at that angle leaves a few millimeters he has to hit with certain power and pace. And the odds of doing it 4 times in a row would be huge.He also has to hit it with correct spin and all.
    You wanna see some real skill in a nike AD check out this
    http://www.jaffejuice.com.nyud.net:8090/files/just_did_it.wmv
    not football but still special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

cheesedude wrote:
    What exactly is fake? the fact he is doing it off a crossbar or a wall? It is still slick as hell.
    Of course it's real. Sure listen to the noise it makes, definitely sounds like a crossbar ;)

If you have feelings for Ronaldinho you can just say, we are all friends here.

• Advertisement

I just want proof. Nothing that man does surprises me. He is a living legend. It does sound like a cross bar.

So far, you have all just said "if's/buts or maybes". Show me proof that this is fake. My proof that it is real is well....have you watched the guy play? If I can see Michael Carrick do something kind of similar in a BBC training video, then I ****ing believe Ronaldinho can do that. Now prove me wrong. If you prove me wrong, then fine i will admit i was wrong. I have no problem with that.

Stekelly wrote:

Also I would like to completely prove you wrong. The first shot he hits against the cross bar, you can see the net move.

cheesedude wrote:
    I just want proof. Nothing that man does surprises me. He is a living legend. It does sound like a cross bar.

So far, you have all just said "if's/buts or maybes". Show me proof that this is fake. My proof that it is real is well....have you watched the guy play? If I can see Michael Carrick do something kind of similar in a BBC training video, then I ****ing believe Ronaldinho can do that. Now prove me wrong. If you prove me wrong, then fine i will admit i was wrong. I have no problem with that.
    Look you can believe it if it makes you happy, but there is no way he could hit a ball with enough force to make it come out 18 yards off the bar and still be able to control it well enough to hit the exact spot required on said bar.

It is physically impossible.

cheesedude wrote:

The net moves the first time but after that you don't see it move.

cheesedude wrote:
    Also I would like to completely prove you wrong. The first shot he hits against the cross bar, you can see the net move.

Yes it does move but why does that mean it hits the cross bar... do you not think they could have rigged it to move. Also do you not think that they could have just added the sound of a cross bar. This is a video, it's a nike ad. Fair enough you want proof that it's a fake but these things you pointed out do not mean anything.

Look you can believe it if it makes you happy, but there is no way he could hit a ball with enough force to make it come out 18 yards off the bar and still be able to control it well enough to hit the exact spot required on said bar.

It is physically impossible.

you got an education in Physics or something? Listen, you have your opinion, I will have mine. At least I can admit, if i am proved wrong, fine I accept I was wrong but I believe I am right.

Puyol once said that Ronaldinho can touch the ball something like 4 times in half a second. NOTHING SURPRISES ME. That sounds physically impossible but it is not.

cheesedude wrote:

I'm not disputing the first one. I could do it once. I have done many times, just not 4 in a row without the ball hitting the ground. It's the next three that are cg.

I tried touching a ball four times in half a second and my leg fell off.

cheesedude wrote:
    you got an education in Physics or something? Listen, you have your opinion, I will have mine. At least I can admit, if i am proved wrong, fine I accept I was wrong but I believe I am right.
    What if I did?

I would also accept it if I were proved wrong, but I won't be.
    cheesedude wrote:
    Puyol once said that Ronaldinho can touch the ball something like 4 times in half a second. NOTHING SURPRISES ME. That sounds physically impossible but it is not.
    Well if Carles Puyol said it..........

Did good old Carles get out his Casio for that one?

• Advertisement

cheesedude wrote:

Is puyol a human stopwatch?. Why is something he says indisputable, seeing as footballers ar enotorious over exaggeraters (spanish ones more than most). the more I look at it the mor efake it looks. The ball seems to be landing above the crossbar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

here cheesedude i believe that the nike ad with cantona shooting a ball throw a demon goalkeeper is real now it has to be because u cant proof it aint.
    That is wat ur argument is based on oh that and puyol with is quick eye and rolex :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i miss that ad

Screw this lads. I retire. Think what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

ooooooo, la ti da. its my ball and i'm not playing any more, lool. just joking. this has to be the most confrontational board on the whole of boards, ronny is a v.good player, amazing infact, but it does seem a little bit contrived that he could do something as difficult as that as many times as he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Lads, he's an amazing player and all that, but that ad is fake.

• Advertisement

No point in playing anymore. We have different opinions. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The reason I'd think it's a fake is that the camera pans out after the first one and then pans back when he's finished. How did the camera man know that he was finished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

its not real. slick ad though.there was something similar to this with lavronne james the prodigious basketball player in america nailing about 10 shots the length of the basketball court. that was a powerade ad but was still equally slick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Do all the doubters of of this video not think that if Ronaldinho tried this about 200 times he could get it right?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

No, and I think he'd get pretty sick of taking on and off those stupid boots every time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

The ball comes back on the exact same trajectory each time at the same speed which is impossible since he hits the ball at different speed each time. Plus the bar would still be shaking after he hit it, which would make it even harder to get right 4 times in a row.

Ok I've thought about this a bit and now I think I know what is going on.

First I believe he IS actually hitting the crossbar each time BUT that this is not one continuous piece of footage.

Basically there is a point at 1:35 where JarJar goes out of shot and that where I believe there is a cut - NOT later on when the camera pulls out (as some people here have suggested). Thats the directors 'distraction' so to speak, much like in the Recent Miller 'bike' Ad where there is a point where the camera veers wildly to make the viewer suspect THAT is where a cut may have been.

Anyway, how it is made to look seemless I believe is that whilst the ball in the 1st shot heading towards the crossbar is real the one returning back is CG. The CG balls return path is drawn in such a way as to make it fit in with another piece of footage of JarJar first juggling the REAL ball 1:37 and hitting the bar 3 more times and then returning to his starting point.

The beauty of doing it this way is that he'd only have to lace up the boots and solo to the 'D' once but he still would have as many opportunities as he needed to hit the crossbar the necessary 3 times in a row without having to re-enact the first 1m35.

Course, could be totally wrong but that's my guess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

PHB wrote:
    Do all the doubters of of this video not think that if Ronaldinho tried this about 200 times he could get it right?

Nope. No way. Not at all. People seem to forget this guy is a human. Physics do actually apply to him too. Plus what was said above about the boots, he'd be sick and tired of taking them off and putting them on repeatedly.

Accept it lads, its not real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

I am shocked at how gullible people are. :eek:

The most basic argument is the flight of the ball. Anybody who plays or watches football knows the ball doesn't move naturally. The speed is off. Its a simple bit of editing with the ball. Thats why its zooms out so the focus on the ball isn't as strong.

Its fake.

However tiger wood's ad wasn't. He got that on the 2nd take or something mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I can't believe some people are convinced thats real. The way the ball comes back to him looks CG. Its a nike ad, not a home movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I think the first one hits the crossbar, you can see it shudder.
    The rest methinks are fake...

Still a cool ad/promo though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Smart Advertising, the very fact the the soccer zealots are discussing the possibility of it being real is playing right into the advertisers hands.

Similar to a sprite ad a while back staring Lebron James(NBA), hitting consective full court hoops on a practise court.

Similar ads with both superstars of their respective sports doing the unbelievable, but with them being that good, you do have a tiny bit of doubt in your mind, that it is well, possible.

Smart Advertising indeed, you all should be ashamed ;)

Eh, yeah I think we all here fully 'get' that we're advertising and spreading awareness of 'that particular product' with every comment we make here. Which brings me to my next question, 'how exactly are you exempt from our collective 'shame' by posting here yourself?' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Sorry if this has already been posted but
    go to nike.com football and download the ping pong video looking at the background training it doesent break so this could very well be real

What you reckon

• Advertisement
Advertisement