Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Request a read receipt for this message"

Options
  • 03-11-2005 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Before the upgrade this was ticked by default. Could this be switched back on please for PMs?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

just tick the box at the bottom before sending your message

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sparky_S wrote:
    just tick the box at the bottom before sending your message

Aye, I know that. Thing is, default used to be ticked and now it isn't. I keep forgetting to tick it :o

Would love to have it back

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Please do not switch this on by default. Remove it altogther. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

seamus wrote:
    Please do not switch this on by default. Remove it altogther. Thanks.

What he said ^^ - terribly annoying to have that popup come up each and every bloody time.

Perhaps switch it on, but disable the pop-up?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Perhaps switch it on, but disable the pop-up?
    Nope. Then I'd specifically have to refuse the read receipts.

Better the way it is that people have to specifically request the receipts. That way you actually think about why you feel the need to invade someone else's privacy. :)

seamus wrote:
    Nope. Then I'd specifically have to refuse the read receipts

I don't follow. There is no way one can switch off read receipts, or is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I've asked for this already in the Upgrade forum.
    Evidently seamus can refuse read receipts, I've never had the ability to on boards.ie, but have had on other forums.

It's very useful, especially for PM's relating to FS items, since it's often quite important to know if people have read, or are ignoring PMs

WizZard wrote:
    Evidently seamus can refuse read receipts, I've never had the ability to on boards.ie, but have had on other forums

Ah so I see. Mods feel free to merge or close this thread
    WizZard wrote:
    It's very useful, especially for PM's relating to FS items, since it's often quite important to know if people have read, or are ignoring PMs

Indeed it is
    seamus wrote:
    Better the way it is that people have to specifically request the receipts. That way you actually think about why you feel the need to invade someone else's privacy. :)

If people are worried about their privacy, they could always switch off PM altogether :)

WizZard wrote:
    Evidently seamus can refuse read receipts, I've never had the ability to on boards.ie, but have had on other forums.
    That's really really weird. As long as you have been able to request read receipts on Boards, I have been able to refuse them. When you close the PM, you should be prompted with a javascript prompt, "User has request a read receipt - send?", and you hit "OK" or "Cancel".
    Then for FS items, tick the box. :)
    If people are worried about their privacy, they could always switch off PM altogether :)
    Submit "Email" for "PM" and see how silly that sounds.

I have no problem with Send Receipts, but for PM's they're moot. Read recipts are different though. You have no right to know if I have read your PM or not, any more than MBNA have a right to know if you've read the SPAM they sent you, or your ex-girlfriend has a right to know if you read the text message she sent you.

See my problem? Afaik, you should be able to see the "Last activity" field in a poster's profile, which should be indication enough if they're ignoring you or just haven't been around.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    That's really really weird. As long as you have been able to request read receipts on Boards, I have been able to refuse them. When you close the PM, you should be prompted with a javascript prompt, "User has request a read receipt - send?", and you hit "OK" or "Cancel".
    Nah, I've never had that option on boards.ie
    seamus wrote:
    See my problem? Afaik, you should be able to see the "Last activity" field in a poster's profile, which should be indication enough if they're ignoring you or just haven't been around.
    Whilst that seems logical unfortunately it's not always correct. By default, PM notification popups are turned on. However, if you quickly change pages before the Javascript popup has "popped-up" then it never pops up again, even if you have several messages.
    Some people simply never check the little "unread x" under their username, and rely on the popup to notify them - always.
    I've had someone not read PMs I had sent for 3 days, even though they had been online. And they weren't trying to ignore me either. ;)

WizZard wrote:
    I've had someone not read PMs I had sent for 3 days, even though they had been online. And they weren't trying to ignore me either. ;)
    Meh...
    The number of unread PMs is displayed at the top of every screen. If you're too stupid to notice.... :)

My point still stands. I should have the option to send you a read receipt, and you should have a good reason for requesting one. :)

Looks like it is a sitewide option, and not per user :(

Mods probably have/had the "Can Deny Private Message Read Receipt Request" feature set to on, whereas us Joe Soap users probably have it set to off - meaning we can't refuse PM receipts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

WizZard wrote:
    Looks like it is a sitewide option, and not per user :(

Mods probably had the "Can Deny Private Message Read Receipt Request" feature set to on, whereas us Joe Soap users probably have it set to off - meaning we can't refuse PM receipts.
    I like the idea of that similar threads thing...

steveland? wrote:
    I like the idea of that similar threads thing...
    I'm lost now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

WizZard wrote:
    I'm lost now?
    At the bottom of the thread linked (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160104) there's a similar threads box...

I think it'd be a great idea to implement on boards.ie because it'd eliminate the problem of multiple questions on the same subject being answered...

I've already registered this suggestion on the Upgrades forum

Ah now I get you. Yeah, looks cool, but could be annoying too - as well as putting another load on the server(s)

I always request a read receipt.
    To me its the exact same as a delivery receipt for a text message or registered post.
    I've not had the option afaik to refuse them since the upgrade before this one.
    I was under the impression that only smods and admins retained that right after that upgrade.

Advertisement