Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miller to Leeds on Loan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Thank fu*k.
    I actuslly still have a little hope he ca be a good player, needs to get out of the sinking ship that is MUFC though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well it turned out to be good business for Manu in the end. Got him on a free and will eventually end up selling him.

I'm glad he's leaving, he needs to be playing regular football.

B.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Oh god no!!! What in the name of god are we signing this total waste of space for!!!

Guaranteed he will not start for us after 2 games or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Kingp35 wrote:
    Oh god no!!! What in the name of god are we signing this total waste of space for!!!

I'd hardly call him a waste of space. It just didn't work out for him at Utd. Hopefully it'll work out for him at Leeds. Just think of him as the new Forlan!! ;)

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Kingp35 wrote:

Dont forget how good he was at Celtic....he has failed at Utd....how many pleayers throughout the years has this happened to???? 100's....plenty of people have said it that when you move to Utd sometimes players can't handle it.....

He is a quility midfielder and lets not forget that Leeds are no longer world beaters!!! Would be glad to have him at Shef Wed....him and Whelan in the middle.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Fair play...I hope it goes well for him. We could use him filling his potential now more than ever!! Nice to see him go to a good/big club too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Joke of a player.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

He is an average midfield player at best and we have better midfielders at the club already. Shaun Derry is a quality player who is one of the best midfield players in the championship and could easily play Premiership football. He plays in the position that Miller would play so it kind of Baffles me why Blackwell would sign Miller. The only reason I can think of is becasue at the moment we have no cover in that position as one or two players are out injured.

It would not surprise me if this deal is only to offer us cover in this position as Blackwell has already stated his desire to sign a creative midfield player in January. Miller doesnt really fit the bill. Also if Bakke doesnt sign for Aston Villa on a permanent deal, which at this moment looks unlikely as he cant get into the team, then Miller really wouldnt get anywhere near the starting 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

where's the regular Leeds updates Kingp35? Shame about the result against Crewe...

quarryman wrote:
    where's the regular Leeds updates Kingp35? Shame about the result against Crewe...

I forgot to start up the Leeds thread for this season. I guess ill have to start one now that you mention it :D As for the Crewe result I have no explanation for that. We were pretty much awful throughout the whole game and maybe it was a little bit of complacency in that we thought it would be easy. Still in a healthy position though so its not all doom and gloom.

If Miller does come he will have to improve a huge amount because if he doesnt the fans will be on his back from the off considering he is a Man Utd player who Leeds Fans hate with a passion

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    He is an average midfield player at best and we have better midfielders at the club already. Shaun Derry is a quality player who is one of the best midfield players in the championship and could easily play Premiership football. He plays in the position that Miller would play so it kind of Baffles me why Blackwell would sign Miller. The only reason I can think of is becasue at the moment we have no cover in that position as one or two players are out injured.

It would not surprise me if this deal is only to offer us cover in this position as Blackwell has already stated his desire to sign a creative midfield player in January. Miller doesnt really fit the bill. Also if Bakke doesnt sign for Aston Villa on a permanent deal, which at this moment looks unlikely as he cant get into the team, then Miller really wouldnt get anywhere near the starting 11

I have always said he was a lower PL club midfielder but in the Championship we would be class.....everyone forget how he played against Anderlect and so on in the Champions League??? he was Celtics best players....then you say he isnt good enought to play for a mid table/maybe play off position club in the Championship.....I think you are still living in the "dream" with Risdale.......even if only bringing in as cover I would say after a few games when he gets his confidence back he will be flying....remember he was off to Sunderland but pulled the plug when Keane got injuryed because he thought he would get a chance....but then SAF stuck a striker into midfield:confused:
    Kingp35 wrote:
    I forgot to start up the Leeds thread for this season.

Start it off with Sheffield Wednesday 1 Leeds 0.....lol

Big Nelly wrote:
    but then SAF stuck a striker into midfield:confused:

Personally I think that says it all. The Miller situation at Celtic is the same with alot of young players as they burst onto the scene and play really well as they have something to prove. Once that initial period is over the real player comes out and Miller has struggled. When he first went to Man Utd he got a few starts and didnt perform and has since been overlooked. He doesnt look like he cares anymore when he plays and just labours around the pitch. He is one of those players that doesnt seem to do an awful lot.

Leeds are lacking a player who has fire in their bellys and will chase down and put tackles in and win the ball. Miller will never be that player and he wont fit in at Elland Road. Our central midfield is our weakest area at the moment but Miller is not the answer is he is not better than the players we all ready have. If he does come I hope to god he proves me wrong but I dont think he will. Blackwell is signing him based on his Celtic reputation and those days are well behind him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Big Nelly wrote:
    he was Celtics best players....:
    eh? He was no near Celtics best player. He was Celtics best prospect at the time. I have always said that the move was wrong for Miller and it looks like everyone is recognising that fact. Personally, I find it hard to have sympathy for him with the way things panned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Leeds agree Miller loan
    Leeds United manager Kevin Blackwell has drafted in Irish international midfielder Liam Miller on a loan deal that could eventually see the Cork man sign a permanent deal at the Elland Road club.

Miller has made just one substitute appearance for Manchester United in the Premiership this season.

And the 24-year-old’s Old Trafford nightmare looks set to end with a move across the Pennines to Elland Road.

He will sign an initial one-month loan deal and, should he impress over the next four weeks, Blackwell is expected to make the move a permanent one in the New Year transfer window.

Having consolidated their position following relegation two years ago, Leeds have emerged as Coca-Cola Championship promotion contenders this season and currently lie in fifth place in the table.

Barring any late hitches, Miller should make his debut in Saturday’s clash with Preston North End at Elland Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

He will be a good Championship/Bottom half premiership player. Nothing more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kingp35 wrote:

Paul Butler.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

funny in football manger blackwell always signs miller, prophetic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

At least with Miller now gone, some of the dead weight are being moved off.
    We have to sign a central midfielder in January, since we really only have 4 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eh? He was no near Celtics best player. He was Celtics best prospect at the time. I have always said that the move was wrong for Miller and it looks like everyone is recognising that fact. Personally, I find it hard to have sympathy for him with the way things panned out.

He might not of been Celtic's best player but he did have a few man of the match performances , the game against Anderlecht and another against Motherwell (I think) spring to mind .

Big Ears wrote:
    He might not of been Celtic's best player but he did have a few man of the match performances , the game against Anderlecht and another against Motherwell (I think) spring to mind .

You cant measure a player on a few games. Every player has good and bad games but for Miller the bad far outweigh the good.
    Kdjac wrote:
    Paul Butler

I dont see your point here. Butler has done very well since joining and he is club captain. He was one of our best players last year and has continued to do well this season as we have kept alot of clean sheets.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    I dont see your point here. Butler has done very well since joining and he is club captain. He was one of our best players last year and has continued to do well this season as we have kept alot of clean sheets.
    But he wasn't exactly regarded as a great player before he joined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:

And never will be, hes awful how he is playing football above a pub level amazes me.

kdjac

eirebhoy wrote:

No he wasnt but it was already known that he could do a good job in the championship like he proved with Wolves. Miller, for me anyway, hasnt proved anything as he only had that short honeymoon period with Celtic and then went downhill. I hope to god Miller proves me wrong and does a brilliant job for us but im not optimistic
    Kdjac wrote:
    And never will be, hes awful how he is playing football above a pub level amazes me

I would love to know what your basing this on because you obviously havent watched Leeds play in the last couple of years since he has joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Does anybody else think it's just stupid to be signing a 1 month loan deal. There is very little room in only having a 1 month contract. You will get very limited chances at 1st team football. If he does get a chance and takes it his deal will probably be extended but that's a big if. With a 1 month contract you get very little time to adjust to a new manager, teammates, training, tactics and overall setup at the club. This makes it even more difficult to prove yourself. I just think they may aswell sign him on loan until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Big Ears wrote:

He did have a couple of match winning performances but that is all. He was a prospect, not an established player. He was coming back from a long stint on the treatment table and played well. He then moves to MU. A wrong decision by him.

yom 1 wrote:
    Does anybody else think it's just stupid to be signing a 1 month loan deal. There is very little room in only having a 1 month contract. You will get very limited chances at 1st team football. If he does get a chance and takes it his deal will probably be extended but that's a big if. With a 1 month contract you get very little time to adjust to a new manager, teammates, training, tactics and overall setup at the club. This makes it even more difficult to prove yourself. I just think they may aswell sign him on loan until the end of the season.

This is with a view to a few more months....means they will have a look at him in training and so on...even if he doesnt get to play many times then they will have an idea if they want to keep him or not!!! after the month they will just extend it!!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    This is with a view to a few more months....means they will have a look at him in training and so on...even if he doesnt get to play many times then they will have an idea if they want to keep him or not!!! after the month they will just extend it!!!

Yeah I understand that, I just think taking someone for a month to see what they are like is ridiculous. It will still take him a while to fit in so he wont prove that much of himself in a month. If they want to go about it this way ie: take him for a short spell on trial before making the loan deal longer, would they not be better taking him for 3 months. This way it gives him enough time to adjust to the new club, team and idea's and allow him a decent shot of proving he is worth his place.

yom 1 wrote:
    Yeah I understand that, I just think taking someone for a month to see what they are like is ridiculous. It will still take him a while to fit in so he wont prove that much of himself in a month. If they want to go about it this way ie: take him for a short spell on trial before making the loan deal longer, would they not be better taking him for 3 months. This way it gives him enough time to adjust to the new club, team and idea's and allow him a decent shot of proving he is worth his place.

Well in pre-season alot of clubs take players on trails....this is more or less a sort of trial......if you see it is a month with a view to further months....alot of loans are done this way so that after a month if it aint working out the club that has brought the player in, Leeds in this case, can get out of the deal and get someone else in...makes sense to me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Kingp35 wrote:
    . Once that initial period is over the real player comes out and Miller has struggled.

True that lots of young player suffer a dip after their first real first season....but if they have the ablity to do the business then (As Miller clealy did at celtic) this normally shines through within a few seasons.

Not making it in your first season at Man Utd hardly means you dont have a future near the top of football.

• Advertisement

Pre-season is completely different to mid season. During the season how often would a team train a week - most teams have 2 games a week plus at least 1 days rest that leaves 4 days training-which at most would be 4-5 hours a day. By doing it this way Miller realistisically only has 16 days (16 4-5 hr sessions) of training to prove himself which is not really enough IMO.

yom 1 wrote:
    Pre-season is completely different to mid season. During the season how often would a team train a week - most teams have 2 games a week plus at least 1 days rest that leaves 4 days training-which at most would be 4-5 hours a day. By doing it this way Miller realistisically only has 16 days (16 4-5 hr sessions) of training to prove himself which is not really enough IMO.

If they have 2 games a week then he is going to get his chance on the pitch because Leeds are weak in midfield as suggested then they will have to play him because players will get tired....if they are not having 2 games a week then they will be playing reserve games/training so a month is plenty of time to see if the players add to the squad!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Kingp35, how is Jonathan Douglas doing for Leeds?

Lemlin wrote:
    Kingp35, how is Jonathan Douglas doing for Leeds?

He is doing ok so far but he is the weaker of the two that we have in midfield. He has had to start every game because we have no cover in midfield. To be honest he has done better than I thought he would but central midfield is still our weakest area and im afraid that Douglas is more than likely the cause of it. He drifts in and out of games. He could have a brilliant ten minutes and then he wont touch the ball for ten and thats the problem. If he could keep himself in the game then he would be agrand championship player.Supposedy we are looking to sign him on a permanent deal at the end of the seaosn if we dont have to pay money for him. Im not sure if this is true or not.

Well lads the Miller deal has been officially confirmed
    http://www.leedsunited.com/article.asp?article=322575&blnFeedback=&Title=Miller+In+For+Whites&navlid=newsroom
    yom 1 wrote:

The reason for the 1 month loan deal is simply because we have absolutely no cover in central midfield at all and so we look very tired in there. Miller has simply been brought in to offer that cover and to freshen the team up. Kevin Blackwell has said this himself. The deal is until the end of December because the transfer window opens then which will allow us to buy a central midfielder. We have been looking at a number of players recently so whether we sign Miller will totally depend on this one month. I doubt the loan will be extended unless its extended for the rest of the season but Blackwell has aid he wants to bring in a central midfield player on a permanent deal in January.

Kingp35 wrote:
    The deal is until the end of December because the transfer window opens then which will allow us to buy a central midfielder.

yeah thats a good point, I never thought of the transfer window, so it does make sense I suppose for just a 1 month loan as it gives them a chance to buy a player if he aint working out.

If Miller could get the aggression and determination he had in the first few months of 03/04 he'd be an excellent player. He started the CL qualifier and scored. He came off the bench against Bayern and Lyon and didn't stop running, scored against Lyon. Excellent against Anderlecht. Very good in most league starts. When at Man Utd he constantly looked like Shevchenko taking that peno in the CL final. A rabbit caught in the headlights. He got man of the match for Ireland against Romania don't forget. :) He needs get his mental attributes up 10 notches (CM talk :) ) and he'd be flying at Leeds.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    If Miller could get the aggression and determination he had in the first few months of 03/04 he'd be an excellent player. He started the CL qualifier and scored. He came off the bench against Bayern and Lyon and didn't stop running, scored against Lyon. Excellent against Anderlecht. Very good in most league starts. When at Man Utd he constantly looked like Shevchenko taking that peno in the CL final. A rabbit caught in the headlights. He got man of the match for Ireland against Romania don't forget. :) He needs get his mental attributes up 10 notches (CM talk :) ) and he'd be flying at Leeds.

As I said eirebhoy he was a young man coming into the team with no pressure on him because he was so young and he had a determination to prove himself as a player like all young players do when they initially come into a team. The worse thing he did was move to Man Utd when there was pressure put on him to perform at such a high level when I think he was playing above himself for that initial period with Celtic because he had just come into the team. he should have stayed at Celtic and settled down as a professional player before moving on.

Anyway Miller started for Leeds today and looked bright at the start making a few breaks but then sadly the old Miller came out and he died out of the game. There were periods in the game where I didnt hear his name for ten minutes. When he got the ball he did ok with his passes but he didnt battle for the ball or tackle in the centre which is something you have to do in the Championship as its a different type of football to the Premiership. So all in all he had on ok game but he certainly didnt improve the side as we ended up playing out a very disappointing 0-0 draw with Preston. To be fair to Miller he did only sign yesterday so expecting him to have a great game is unfair as he doesnt know his team mates but I still feel he could have done better and im no more close t changing my mind that I dont think Miller is good enough for us. the pundits after the game are kinda saying the same thing as are the fans in the phone in that he looked ok in flashes but just didnt offer us enough to justify his signing. Maybe he will improve as he trains with the team and I hope that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I wouldn't write him off just yet. He has played little or no competitive football in the last 18 months. He is not going to set the world alight 24 hours after that move. He probably doesn't even know the basics of the system he is playing. I reckon he should be judged on his performances at the end of the loan period.

He wouldn't be the first player to make a move away from united and become a better player for not having the pressure.
    Diego Forlan last year for example, Kieran Richardson last year on loan, Jones on loan this season.

Players tend to do better when they don't have the same pressure on them.

Hopefully Miller will be the same.

Save opening a new thread Miller has signed to Leeds on loan for rest of season. Watched him on Monday and he had a great game and won a penalty for Leeds. Seems to be playing very well down there from what I have heard and so is Jonathan Douglas so things looking up for Ireland.

MILLER TIME EXTENDED AT ELLAND ROAD

Leeds have extended the loan of Manchester United midfielder Liam Miller for the rest of the season.

The 24-year-old former Celtic player has made 10 appearances in his first spell at Elland Road, including scoring the winner in the memorable 4-3 win over Southampton.

Blackwell believes Miller will aid United's push for promotion in the second half of the season and the Irishman has been registered in time to face Wigan in the FA Cup tomorrow.

Meanwhile Leeds, who have denied a deal has been struck for Australian winger Joel Griffiths, are rivalling Hearts and Sunderland for the signing of Racing Genk's Bosnia winger Mirsad Beslija according to the player's agent.

"Hearts seem to have made an offer to buy the player with Sunderland and Leeds also looking at the option of taking Mirsad on loan," said Sam Stapleton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Good deal for Leeds, I though a premiership club might have come in for him, good luck to him hope it continues to go well.

Kingp35 wrote:

Just wanted to point this out to Kingp35:D think he done a bit better than that for you and after his arrival it has seen a turn for the better for Leeds. They are more consistant now/
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Dont forget how good he was at Celtic....he has failed at Utd....how many pleayers throughout the years has this happened to???? 100's....plenty of people have said it that when you move to Utd sometimes players can't handle it.....

He is a quility midfielder and lets not forget that Leeds are no longer world beaters!!! Would be glad to have him at Shef Wed....him and Whelan in the middle.....

My comments;) think I was right on this occasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

sorry to hijack a thread but is the fa cup game being shown anywhere. Thought i'd try and see it seeing as i'm off for once :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i'm delighted for Miller to get the extension. He would have done nothing if he returned to Utd till the end of the season. Hopefully he can get a move at the end of the season. He still has potential ( which is a bit odd to be saying that of a 24 year old)! Best of luck!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Just wanted to point this out to Kingp35:D think he done a bit better than that for you and after his arrival it has seen a turn for the better for Leeds. They are more consistant now/

Appreciate it mate!!! :D

No ill be honest he has done well since joining and has offered us that extra bit of creativity. Im happy enough that he has signed for the rest of the season but I was hoping we could sign a player on a permanent deal. Saying that though I expect us to sign him permanently if he does well and the team gets promoted. Miller starting games regularily seems to be doing him alot of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

padser wrote:
    True that lots of young player suffer a dip after their first real first season....

John O'Shea anyone ? did quite well at first for united, then last year he wouldnt make it on to your under-10's team :p. Couple of decent performances this year.

Think this a great signing for leeds, he didnt really get his chance at united imo, i think hes going to prove to be a very good player this season and help them push their way back into the prem! ;)

Kingp35 wrote:
    Appreciate it mate!!! :D

Knew you would like that
    Kingp35 wrote:
    No ill be honest he has done well since joining and has offered us that extra bit of creativity. Im happy enough that he has signed for the rest of the season but I was hoping we could sign a player on a permanent deal. Saying that though I expect us to sign him permanently if he does well and the team gets promoted. Miller starting games regularily seems to be doing him alot of good.

Was thinking from the start and mentioned on a few thread before this one when everyone was slating Miller that he could do a job for a mid table PL side. I still see this as the truth but he needs to get his confidence back and he seems to be doing that at Leeds which is great for them and great for him. If they get promoted I would say they will sign. If they don't I still think they will go for him but if a mid table PL team come in for him then he will prob go for them

On a side note you think fergie had a word with Miller? was only on a few weeks ago saying he wanted to go back and fight for his place at Utd with Keane gone now there was more chance of him getting his place. Then from nowhere he signs on for another 6 months. Think Fergie has told him he has no future at Utd?

Big Nelly wrote:
    On a side note you think fergie had a word with Miller? was only on a few weeks ago saying he wanted to go back and fight for his place at Utd with Keane gone now there was more chance of him getting his place. Then from nowhere he signs on for another 6 months. Think Fergie has told him he has no future at Utd?

Something must have happened anyway because Miller made it fairly clear that he was only using his time at Leeds to impress Fergie and get back into the Man U side. You would have thought that with Keane gone he would think that he had a better chance and would want to go back. Something must have been said by Fergie to Miller, although it could have been that he just wanted Miller to play more before coming back, but if you ask me I think his Man U career is over.

Advertisement