Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auctions

Options
  • 03-11-2005 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hey I'm interested in a car for learning purposes, something for under a grand with a years NCT or so. I was told an auction was my best bet. Anyone know the best place or have any other infomation? Oh, and if anyone knows a motor dealer who deals in car at this price range in the Dublin area, please post.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

An auction doesn't really sound like the right option as you are buying it untested.

First of all, post in the "wanted: motors" forum here on boards (under the "shop" heading). Checkout www.cbg.ie and www.carzone.ie in case there is something there. There will be loads and loads of car in this price range in Buy and Sell, but I would recommend bringing either a mechanic, or someone who know a good bit about cars to give it the once over.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Thae main auction in Ireland
    IS
    www.merlincarauctions.ie

Merlin have to auctions weekly one wed. and one sat.the auction on sat is your best bet as that is when what your after goes up for auction.At you price range you going to be biding against joe soap you will have no traders to worry about.

For your money you might get

http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=316394

http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=312772

If you have no mechanical knowledge dont go near the place you will but a lemon and have no comeback.

Also bring a 300€ bidding deposit

Good luck and happy hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

dodgy as <>?: , speaking from experiance, everything there has some story and is trashed/clocked

Try finance repo.Nothing wring with them, also what about dealers blowing contract hire stuff out.All those cars are sound.

Try finance repo.Nothing wring with them, also what about dealers blowing contract hire stuff out.All those cars are sound.
    alot of the contract stuff is clocked by individuals. actually sometimes they are clocked up believe it or not (for company car tax purposes) so u can get a bargain. But everything and i mean everything has a story and that auctioneer of theirs is allededly dodgy as £$%^, alot of alleged dubious goings on there, dont bid anymore than you are prepared, and stick to it firmly. i have a feeling there are a lot of alleged phantom bids there.

• Advertisement

Ive seen him take bids from the wall, but thats mostly when the public are bidding. Ive never seen him take false bids with a trader.They are worth too much to the company.

Ive seen him take bids from the wall,
    ive seen him allegedly take them from me (and i was the only one sitting at that corner including all the way back) and i wasnt even bidding:D
    when a nice car comes up at a bargain price, a punter can bid all he wants, he is allegedly very anxious to close the sale to a trader mate,and will ignore u. maybe thats why they moved from dublin to bandit land, co meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I'd say forget audtions, and just bide your time. Ther are plenty cheap cars out there if you can afford to wait.
    if you are in a hurry, then auctions present a reasonable alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

Thanks guys:):)

Advertisement