Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart broadband

• 03-11-2005 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭

I'm moving apartment and unfortunately the new place won't have NTL broadband - which is annoying as it's a completely new development and they offer Digital there. I'm fairly sure I'll be able to get Smart Broadband in though.

What are the thoughts of people with Smart here? Are the DL speeds okay?Also, does anyone know what the wireless modem they can supply you with for €140 is like? I'd guess it'd be a better option buying one from Komplett or something, does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

SteM wrote:
    I'm moving apartment and unfortunately the new place won't have NTL broadband - which is annoying as it's a completely new development and they offer Digital there. I'm fairly sure I'll be able to get Smart Broadband in though.

What are the thoughts of people with Smart here? Are the DL speeds okay?Also, does anyone know what the wireless modem they can supply you with for €140 is like? I'd guess it'd be a better option buying one from Komplett or something, does anyone have any recommendations?

Smart is highly recommendable in my experience. I find the linksys wag54gs very good it has very good radio coverage and other people on here have tried the linksys wag354g and found it to be grand. Argos stock these at pretty good prices.

www.linksys.com/ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭SteM

Cheers Dub45. I've been using a linksys wrt54g router on NTL for the last few month and haven't and a minutes problem with it. Hopefully the wag54gs will be as good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

SteM wrote:
    Cheers Dub45. I've been using a linksys wrt54g router on NTL for the last few month and haven't and a minutes problem with it. Hopefully the wag54gs will be as good.

You could use your linksys wrt54g with the modem that Smart supply - full instructions on how to set the modem up for it have been posted here and I think on the broadband support forum on Smarts site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Very happy Smart customer here (I moved from IBB Ripwave recently!). Consistent 230 kb/s download speed. A joy.

No idea about the wireless router- I opted for the regular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Smart will finally be enabling my exchange (Whitehall) soon. I was thinking of going for Metro but it seems people are starting to have problems with speeds and I'm still suspicious of wireless - could Metro go the way of IBB if they get too many users? Also Metro's phone charges aren't exactly competitive - check out their off peak local rate, costs more than Eircom! I'm on Digiweb DSL at the moment and was wondering how easy/difficult the change over to Smart will be? Also what are the pings like? Anyone tried Blueface with it?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭SteM

dub45 wrote:
    You could use your linksys wrt54g with the modem that Smart supply - full instructions on how to set the modem up for it have been posted here and I think on the broadband support forum on Smarts site.

Ah cheers for that. Might save me €100 :)

Advertisement