Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to college?

Options
  • 03-11-2005 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people are going straight into college after the LC?

i was going to do a design course in WIT but the thought of 4 more years of study is not something i want. I know college is completely different to school its just I feel i'm not ready to go into doing a course that i im not sure i want to do and most likely end up dropping out of. i cant be bothered turning up to school half the time and when im there i dont want to do anything. Work is no bother because i know the more im there the more money i get!

i think i would be better off getting a trade for a couple of years (painting) and then maybe going to college as a mature student - keep my options open.

Anyone else feel pressure that they have to decide on a career now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I'm not sure about college either, well I think I would like to go but it is a lot of money, I don't really have much savings and I'm not sure about my fathers attitude to further education. I think if I do well in the leaving cert I might try to go to college but if not I can get a job and see how things work out.

There is a lot of pressure, my careers teacher has most of my school firghtened about the future, it seems awfully early to try and decide for you life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i'm going straight into college because i know exactly what i want to do and also i can't wait! it's college like...new place, new people! more freedom! i can't wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Blink 182 - Going away to College

I was listening to that just as I saw the title!

Anyway......yeh I'm pretty sure I want to go to college straight away. I've flirted with the idea of taking a few years out to study, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

My advise would be to get a trade as a Electrian or Plumber. The money is **** in the first year but after the second year you will be earning good money and prob get a mixer or 2. I went to college for IT and im sorry i never did, im prob to old. But once you have done your 4 years the your qulaified and you can get a job anywere and even travel the world.

The way i would look at is to study in college for 4 years and get a part-time job and scrap past or get a trade and make some money.

I know a few people who are earning €700 a week and more between work and mixers

Best of Luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I'm going straight into college though I'm still not sure what I want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

I'm going straight to college. I know if I take a year out it'll be hard to come back and I know what I want to do so it seems like the best option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I hope to go straight to college too. Just gotta get this portfolio done!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Gaz25 wrote:
    I know a few people who are earning €700 a week and more between work and mixers
    How long is the working year if you're an electician or plumber? What does €700 a week turn out to be in terms of salary, roughly? I'm just curious because I want to know how it compares to typical jobs that people get when they're straight out of college

Advertisement