Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Confidental

• 03-11-2005 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know did RTÉ really need to get this show back on the air?

Returns tonight with Terry and Jerry eating some dinner.

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Terry who? the only famous Terry I can think of is Wogan.

Say it ain't so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

I think its time RTE stopped pandering to Gerry Ryan and told him no more television , he has been at it for so long now and can anybody ever remember him in a good television show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The only thing more nausiating than sounds coming out of Gerry Ryans mouth is food being shoveled into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

the only famous Terry I can think of is Wogan.

yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Can't believe it is back on. Was embarrassed by the last series - who came up with the concept of getting celebs drunk over dinner and then interviewing them. So unPC.

• Advertisement

So unPC.

That's like soooo 90s.

I don't think Jerry really cares about PC.

Drunk Celebs, its a tabloid paper come to life.

I thought he talked to much and wouldn't let Terry speak. If you are going to show clips then the show should run for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

meldrew wrote:
    I think its time RTE stopped pandering to Gerry Ryan and told him no more television , he has been at it for so long now and can anybody ever remember him in a good television show?

I agree he never had or will have tv appeal. His show with wogan was diappointing in that Ryan cannot interview, the intonation in his voice is so irritating,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

He incessantly interrupted Wogan - so irritating how he kept putting a stop to the flow of conversation.
    And to be blunt, God he looked awful - positively ugly in fact. Get all that muck out of his hair, style it properly, address his clothes etc - he looked like such a slimeball, especially compared with the suave Wogan.

The format can work well - the intercutting of VTs and voiceover is very effective I think, and it's very well scripted.
    It also depends to a degree on the guests - some of the editions can be awful, while for example the Mama Tina episode last year if anyone remembers it was one of the most poingant and moving pieces of television I've seen in years. And Gerry was superb.

It's hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian017

meldrew wrote:
    Secrets was kinda cool. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Brian017 wrote:
    Secrets was kinda cool. :p
    That was dire full of skangers from Clondalkin makin eejits out of themselves if that was possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian017

Oh good, I'm not the only one who can remember it.

Should I mention Ryan Town ?

Ok so he starts of with Terry Wogan. Top TV really weather we like it or not. You know successful etc.

And I know that his next guest got into the Top 10 Best Selling of the 21st Century, God does noone have any musical taste.

But we're already nearing the bottom of the barrel with Ronan Keating.

And even futher down that barrel is his 3rd guest, descibed by some as Barbie's Granny.

Twink. :(

Does he only interveiw Irish Guests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

meldrew wrote:
    Everytime I see Gerry Ryan on the telly, I become more and more convinced that he has pictures of pretty much ALL the Commissioning Editors, Producers and (while we're at it) the Authority of RTE in very compromising positions...

It sure as hell isn't raw talent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Oho - so RTÉ have gotton themselves into a virtual cauldron of hot water.
    Anyone who saw the programme last week will probably have seen the promo for 'next week's programme' (this week's), which featured Twink bitching about her husband's 'mistress'. The clip was of her saying something like 'I rang her up and called her a bitch, amongst other things'. 'Of course more fool me as she promptly contacted the Gardaí, and they landed on my doorstep with her charging me with harrassment'

- something along those lines, maybe a bit worse.

Before the ident was played this week, a continuity apology was made, with RTÉ sincerely apologising for the 'untrue accusations' and any hurt or distress caused.

What was funny though was that the ident then played and it's then said "in a change to our advertised schedule, Gerry Ryan this week meets Ronan Keating' :D

The Twink programme is either back in the edit suite, being given a few weeks breathing space, or is pulled in its entirety :)

Nothing short of astonishing the legals weren't adequately cleared before this was aired, especially with something so contentious. Incredible - one heck of a flaw in the system there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Pity would have loved to see Twink giving out, I 'd have felt sorry for her...... not, feckin' Barbies Granny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dilly1

Gerry's face takes up the whole screen, his head is too big and fat for TV.
    Apart from the fact that his face is so big you cant see who he is interviewing, his obnoxious voice just grates on me. I have a freind who works in RTE, she says that in the canteen he talks about himself in the third person, what a twat. My brother was shocked to watch TV and find that even after spending 13 years away from Ireland, they still have the same idiots presenting shows.

My brother was shocked to watch TV and find that even after spending 13 years away from Ireland, they still have the same idiots presenting shows.

It's not really that surprising. When he left Gay Byrne had presented the Late Late for nearly 30 years.

Also take a look at other chat show host in other countries.

The Late Show with Jay Leno (Previously with Johnny Carson)
    Conan O'Brien has been around for more then a Decade and will continue until 2009 at least.
    Parkinson
    Wogan
    etc etc.

Plenty of example from around the world, but because it Ireland its so Idiotic. :rolleyes:

But I have to agree with your bro. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Elmo wrote:
    I don't know did RTÉ really need to get this show back on the air?

Returns tonight with Terry and Jerry eating some dinner.

:rolleyes:
    Another attempt by the bejowelled one to 'crack' TV....oh gawd, life is not worth living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Tim Collins is tonight's guest. Could be interesting!

http://www.rte.ie/tv/ryanconfidential/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

doubledown wrote:
    Tim Collins is tonight's guest. Could be interesting!

http://www.rte.ie/tv/ryanconfidential/
    Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Tim Collins. Ex SAS guy. From Belfast originally. Check the links below. Not that many have heard of him but it should be a fascinating programme.

http://journal.dajobe.org/journal/2003/03/collins/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2932334.stm

Maybe he on a Top Secret Anglo-Irish Mission to rid the world of Jerry Ryan while eating and talking over a few Drinks.

Who will out talk?
    Who will out eat?
    Who will out drink?

It's Confidental, Ryan Confidental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

goodbadugly8zl.jpg

I wonder how much would it cost to replace Gerry Ryan with Jeri Ryan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Why is it that Gerry Ryan seems to look more like a gangster every week? Last night it looked as if he stuck his head in a chip pan full of oil and then tossed it in a bowl of dessicated coconut!! Yuck :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

What the hell happened to old Gerry. He used to be quite good looking. All I can say is that its a good job that RTE have widescreen.
    I can't stand him on the radio either, he comes across as a perv.

Advertisement