Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

usb scanner hogging resources

• 11-01-2000 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

a friend of mine had this problem when he plugged a Mustec usb scanner into a p350.

the minute he plugged it in, windows slowed down to a crawl, the resource meter showed nearly 100% cpu usage. We attached the scanner to a p450 from a diff manufacturer, and the same thing happend. Its obviously particular to this scanner, but I'd just like to know whats going on, and has anybody encountered similar problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

try shutting down in task manager and leave just scanner, explorer and systray working and see what your systrces are like then

if you have a lot of apps they can also hog resources.
    anyway, usb should be banned for being crap and unreliable smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

but there was nothing else running, thats my point smile.gif, the cpu just went mental when the scanner was plugged in, no new apps launched.

disconnect the scanner
    reboot pc
    uninstall ALL scanner software
    reboot
    reinstall scanner software
    shut down
    plug in scanner
    rebbot
    see what happens then

also try turing off everything useless in msconfig except systray and explorer if they are tere
    anything else you need you can run manually
    empty startup menu just to be on safe side as well

see what the sys resources are like without the scanner plugged in
    plugg in he scanner and then see what the are like
    also do a scan disk and a defrag..sometimes helps

if all that fails, then i do seriously suggest getting a new scanner coz they are a pain in the bum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Welcome to M$ world of embrace and destroy.

USB on windows seriously sucks, and I have to say it's Windows fault. Basically M$ didn't want anything that could be used to switch OS so they made USB the most painful thing to use in windows.

I plug a USB device into a mac and it just works straight off.

I plug the same device into windows and it slows to a crawl then numerous windows come up "finding device", then it finally works.

Sorry I'm not being any help. Just wanted to share my pain. sunglasses.gif

lol

ffs simon, youre no help at all!

• Advertisement

So I can get a job in support so? smile.gif

no, but you can become a localisation 'expert' if you want smile.gif

International Software Developer thank you very much. tongue.gif

or I think "global product developer" or something like that is the latest in the naming craze.

Btw, Localisation is spelt with a Z (least that's what all Americans think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

dialogue with me so we can cross collatorize our resources with a few to fixing this fu(king scanner smile.gif

have you done what i suggested?
    if not then return the scanner and get a new one...try HP as they seem to be he most friendly and reliable.
    but try to get a parralel connection scanner instead of usb, coz they suck donkeys cox smile.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement