Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cracked windscreen

Options
  • 03-11-2005 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

NCT Question. In the middle of my winscreen I have a 1cm crack wide and long. It doesnt impair view or anything like that. Its been there about 18 months and has grown by about 2mm at the very most.

Is this worthy of NCT failure? Or am i best of replacing it off the insurance to save time???

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The NCT guidelines state:-
    ZONE A - damage that can be contained within a 10mm diameter circle (maximum of 2 defects provided they are more than 100mm apart).
    ZONE B - damage that can be contained within a 20mm diameter circle or hairline cracks up to 30 mm long (maximum of 2 defects provided they are more than 100mm apart).
    ZONE C - damage that can be contained within a 40mm diameter circle (maximum of 2 defects provided they are more than 100mm apart).
    Note
    (1) The vehicle should be failed where damage is beyond the above limits.
    (2) Damage windscreens may be repaired provided the repairs meet the requirements of Codes of Practice BS AU242 and BS AU251.
    (3) Light scratching which does not obscure the driver’s view should be ignored.
    Judging from what yu are saying the crack is somewhere in zone B or C (A is directly in front of wheel). I'd possibly leave it.

Advertisement