Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hmmm focus or golf

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

GTI..........!!!!!!

That's what i'd choose!!!! Ford focuses aint worth it when you up against the good awl turbo golf!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

How about a Type R accord, thinking of getting one of these myself in the not to distant future.

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=348412&ID=584641&NumPics=3&Make=Honda&Model=Accord%20Type%20R&frmFilter=

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Then you need a diesel Octavia. With nice seat covers and the radio tuned permanently to Lyric....

'c

or a mondeo...
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=311308

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Along the same lines as the (non-turbo) Fiat Coupe - slightly lower Insurance group, so might be easier to insure:
    2000 Alfa GTV

317517_20051105091141_1.jpg
    317517_20051105091143_2.jpg

Current 2.0 GTV is 46K new so 11K is surely good value.
    No room for clients in the back though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17492118&page=1&pp=30
    :) getting your jollies with another woman (forum?)

/wee sobs.

focus ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

weemcd wrote:
    getting your jollies with another woman (forum?)

LOL, looks like Cyrus is getting a car vastly superior to the Focus and Golf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jesus that gtv is blimmin fabulous, might have a look :)

@ unkel, if the right one comes up id def be interested, the one i posted on ocuk was perfect except for tan leather in a silver car? some people:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cyrus wrote:
    perfect except for tan leather in a silver car? some people:rolleyes:

If you're not buying new, you're gonna have to make some concessions ;)

Signs on that car are good though. Just over 6 years old, one owner (must be private). Was probably taken car of. Low mileage. Good price. It will not suffer from the "Nikasil issue". Double vanos, so very healthy torque at low revs for a N/A engine. You don't know it yet, but you'll like the steptronic too :)

Drawbacks: it is solid and a good bit heavier than your (light) Alfa. Overtaking and mid-acceleration will be much better, but the standard 0-100km/h figure is only slightly better

Take it for a spin at least...
    honestjohn wrote:
    Fairly close to perfection

The GTV is lovely imho. Have it very well checked out though! And I doubt somewhat that the insurance quote will be any better than the FIAT coupe (well the N/A one anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Agreed - not a big Alfa fan for the most part but lovely car.

My last bite at this cherry:

Seat Cupra...possibly

I don't think there was a 2.0L model of the Leon, so probably a typo.
    If you look closely it has the twin-pipe cupra exhaust, the cupra alloys, plus it's stated to be the 20VT model.
    Worth checking out anyway.

CB390530a.jpg
    CB390530.jpg
    CB390530b.jpg

I had a test drive in a Cupra a couple of years ago. Cracking car.
    (Surely this would be as expensive to insure as the Fiat Coupe though?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That looks like a 1.8 20v or 1.8T 20v Sport model.

I don't think it is a Cupra though as it doesn't have the Cupra body kit or Cupra seats. I think also the Cupra has a different steering wheel but I could be wrong.

...1.8T 20v Sport model.
    Is there a difference between this and the Cupra? I'm pretty sure the 20v sport has 180bhp anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't think there is a 2.0l version either, I didn't think they were the cupra alloys and as mentioned it doesn't have the body kit. Also, that looks like the bog standard dash, I'm pretty sure the cupras have a different one with a screen in the centre console, climate control and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

bmoferrall wrote:
    CB390530a.jpg

That Leon is the 1.8 Cupra T model (180BHP). There is no 2ltr Leon. You guys may be thinking of the 1.8 Cupra R (225BHP)

BTW, that is a good price for that milage and car. It can be remapped easily to over 200BHP. Wolf in sheeps cloathing :D

ando wrote:
    BTW, that is a good price for that milage and car. It can be remapped easily to over 200BHP. Wolf in sheeps cloathing :D
    Cyrus better get his skates on before Ando nabs this one!! :v:

bmoferrall wrote:
    Cyrus better get his skates on before Ando nabs this one!! :v:

heh, I was thinking about it over dinner! Their very rare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

ando wrote:
    heh, I was thinking about it over dinner! Their very rare

Yours looks much nicer IMO ando, the black and the kit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its a cupra allright ive spotted it a few weeks back :) i havent gone to see anything yet as im waiting to actually close the sale of my own car (we have agreed to leave it til this weekend or next as it suits both parties)

id def like a leon (btw the cupras didnt get the cupra kit til 03 i think but that is a 180bhp leon cupra with the older style rims) but thats basically the only one in the country and no leather recaros etc, its hardly that much a better drive than the golf?

thanks Squirrel ;)
    Cyrus wrote:
    id def like a leon (btw the cupras didnt get the cupra kit til 03 i think but that is a 180bhp leon cupra with the older style rims) but thats basically the only one in the country and no leather recaros etc, its hardly that much a better drive than the golf?

Its has the same engine as the GTI (red I) Golf. I dunno which would handle better, I'd say very similar as their basically the same car, different body shell. I've never driven a Golf so I dunno tbh but I'd say the Leon is cheaper...?

a bit OT but:

Cupra T before 2003 (Same as silver one above):
    Standard.jpg

Cupra T from 2003 onwards:
    CupraT.jpg

Cupra R:
    CupraR.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Cyrus wrote:
    its hardly that much a better drive than the golf?
    In general Seat seem to tweak the suspension for more aggressive handling, VWs tend to be tweaked softer for a smoother ride, I've no idea if that applies to GTi/Cupras.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:
    ...its hardly that much a better drive than the golf?

Personally, I'd take the Cupra over the GTI any day of the week. Mk III/IV GTIs leave me cold (as ownership propositions).

I've never driven a GTI so I can't comment on the relative merits of the two.
    I was very impressed with the Cupra though. Turbo lag seemed to be non-existent.
    More than enough power for most situations and, as Ando said, there's plenty of scope for upgrading the power, if desired.
    I drove the Cupra on some fairly rough roads and it seemed to glide over bumps and hollows, while still feeling very sharp and tight in bends.
    Seat seem to have got the balance between comfort and handling spot on.

Looks count a lot for me and, IMO, the Seat is far more appealing to the eye, particularly with the Cupra kit.
    Late-generation GTIs are pretty common these days. They're probably overrated by the general public (excl. Mk V); personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with that association.
    Purchasing the Cupra would possibly show a more independant mind at work.

Mo cupla phingin n'anyway

Advertisement