Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband with No Contract

• 03-11-2005 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for a broadband package which doesn't have a minimum contract to be signed.

Is there a one? Does anybody know any?

Thanks in advance.

K.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

konline wrote:
    Hi, I am looking for a broadband package which doesn't have a minimum contract to be signed.

Is there a one? Does anybody know any?

Thanks in advance.

K.

6 months is probably as short as you will get anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Ripwave has a rolling monthly contract but it doesn't work so it's irrelevant...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭konline

Yeah, Ripwave is not available in my area (Harolds Cross)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

i think irish-wan have some coverage up there (Mount Argus (Sp?)).. try that route?

although-i can only find mention in old archives (But i saw it [briefly]) the other day over by The Cloisters..

If you want the short contract because you're thinking of moving soon, you may want to consider Clearwire. So long as you move within their coverage area, you can use the same modem.

Other than that, 6 months is about as good as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

If you want the short contract because you're thinking of moving soon, you may want to consider Clearwire. So long as you move within their coverage area, you can use the same modem.
    True enough, provided you can get coverage in your new area. If you can't, then you're screwed, as Clearwire tie you to a 24 month contract. This was initially a 12 month contract, but it now seems to be 24 months apparently. I signed up initially with them in their trial phase, and I'm on a 12 month contract (Am going to hold onto this in case they try to screw me over after the year), but apparently this has now gone to 24 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Clearwire is still offering a 12 month contract, however you pay an activation fee of €39 if you chooose that one instead of the 24 month option.

Also be sure to read the full T&C as they have some conditions when you have to cancel before the end of the contract as it otherwise renews itself.

Clearwire is still offering a 12 month contract, however you pay an activation fee of €39 if you chooose that one instead of the 24 month option.

Also be sure to read the full T&C as they have some conditions when you have to cancel before the end of the contract as it otherwise renews itself.

Just to expand on that - Clearwire in their T&C's on their website state that you must cancel at least 60 days in advance otherwise your contract is renewed for a further 12 months - afaik by far the worst notice and renewal period of any isp:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Before joining Clearwire they will give you notice in writing that the contract becomes rolling monthly after the initial year period has run out unless you cancel it by giving 60 days notice (before the initial year contract expires).

It is NOT yearly rolling despite what it says on their T+Cs page. This is being sorted out by their solicitors currently.

Yes, of course they should have sorted this out by now but it is not an issue really. These things happen in multinationals.

Ludo wrote:
    Before joining Clearwire they will give you notice in writing that the contract becomes rolling monthly after the initial year period has run out unless you cancel it by giving 60 days notice (before the initial year contract expires).

It is NOT yearly rolling despite what it says on their T+Cs page. This is being sorted out by their solicitors currently.

Yes, of course they should have sorted this out by now but it is not an issue really. These things happen in multinationals.

Happen to multinationals? on what basis do you say that? this is the sort of thing that multinationals with all their resources have no excuse for allowing to happen. And why does it take their solictiors to change the terms on website? And have they issued a letter to their existing customers changing the terms of the contract>

Sixty days notice is ludicrous.:eek: AFAIK no other company requires more than a month's notice.

The terms and conditions as quoted on the website and the delay in changing them would indicate to me that they want to make it as difficult as possible for customers to leave them so be careful! Not to mention that the default sign up on the web order form is two years instead of displaying both options at the same time.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Do you really need to keep harping on about this in every Clearwire related thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I wonder if there every will be any posting with "clearwire" somewhere in the text where DUB45 is not posting his "not a reputable company" or "worst I ever seen" in it.

I got my T&C when I signed up which are different from what is on their webpage (where it is taken unusualy long to update from the partly US version to the correct irish version that is send out with the contract). So my terms are different from that of the website!

I would post them but I frear DUB45 would need to ask his boss for some time off to go through them line by line to find something.

I really wonder if DUB45 is working for IBB?

I wonder if there every will be any posting with "clearwire" somewhere in the text where DUB45 is not posting his "not a reputable company" or "worst I ever seen" in it.

I got my T&C when I signed up which are different from what is on their webpage (where it is taken unusualy long to update from the partly US version to the correct irish version that is send out with the contract). So my terms are different from that of the website!

I would post them but I frear DUB45 would need to ask his boss for some time off to go through them line by line to find something.

I really wonder if DUB45 is working for IBB?

I have never used the words 'worst I have ever seen' I dont know anything about their product so I cannot comment on it. Nor have I used the phrase 'not a reputable company' If you wish to quote me please do so correctly. Why are you convinced I work for IBB? Do you have to work for a rival isp to point out when T&C's as published on web site are not customer friendly to say the least?

The terms and conditions that are posted on Clearwires site are lousy terms and condtions in relation to the notice required to terminate and the automatic renewal - they are the terms and conditions they are presenting to the public at large. People whould be aware of that when they consider signig up. I dont know why you consider it so objectionable to bring that to people's notice.

And they are still presenting a 24 month sign up as the default option. AFAIK no other isp has ever done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I can't comment about dub45's frequency of the post, but it is a very valid point. It certainly would turn me off.

Advertisement