Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dedication, i hope rio and others hears this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

There is a Forest Supporter (Abbey) from Munich and still lives there, who hasn't missed a Forest home game since 1978.

Poor fellah:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Brock wrote:
    http://www.adnkronos.com/Speciali/P_Pm/En/tommasi.html

This is pure love and dedication to a club, hats off to him
    Top man! It's fantastic to read something like that! Thats "sporting" at its best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Brilliant brilliant brilliant story. Great post, cheers mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Excellent post! I had no idea about that.

What a story. It makes me so sick when I even see Ferdinand in a United jersey, reading that makes it even worse!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fair play to him, wouldn't expect players to ask for 1500 per month but as for getting 120k per week then that is another story.

Best of luck to him

• Advertisement

Just read it again and he is on the minimum wage. That is insane, a new hero of mine for sure!

Thats the minimum he's allowed to be on, given a choice he might have played for left. Thats a union minimum regulatory wage! Madness. The man is a god, and a shining light of what professional footballers should be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Brilliant. Someone with morals and pride in the shirt rather then Rio the greatest defender ever ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

What a legend. That really is an eye opener. Great to hear that there are still players out there who will play for the club primarily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TBH I think its a bit stupid (unless I'm missing somethign, I stopped reading befor ethe last paragraph). It's all well and good earning the same as a normal punter but its a totally different thing. We (the fans) have our professions for 40 odd years and are earning the whole time. Football is a short career at around 15 years so players have to earn what they can ,when they can. Just look at a lot of the past players from the era before massive wages. Some of them are selling their medals and memorobilia to get by. The clubs make massive money so it stands to reason that the people making them the money should get well compensated. Its all well and good having a romantic notion of football, but when you come down to it its a business ( for everyoen above the playing and coachign staff anyway)

I dont agree with the likes of Rio Ferdinand on £120,000 a week but a few grand a week is not too much for a player to ask.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    TBH I think its a bit stupid (unless I'm missing somethign, I stopped reading befor ethe last paragraph). It's all well and good earning the same as a normal punter but its a totally different thing. We (the fans) have our professions for 40 odd years and are earning the whole time. Football is a short career at around 15 years so players have to earn what they can ,when they can. Just look at a lot of the past players from the era before massive wages. Some of them are selling their medals and memorobilia to get by. The clubs make massive money so it stands to reason that the people making them the money should get well compensated. Its all well and good having a romantic notion of football, but when you come down to it its a business ( for everyoen above the playing and coachign staff anyway)

He'll probably get a coaching job there and a nice pension. Once he's happy with what he earns and what he's doing, thats all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Fair play to the guy I say. Really puts players like Rio in perspective.

I disagree though with the contention that a player should necessarily be set up for life after a 10-15 year career. It's not as if it's beyond them to find another job or another source of income elsewhere in the 30-50 years following retirement from professional football, though they do deserve to share in money generated by these massive companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fair play to the guy I say. Really puts players like Rio in perspective.

I disagree though with the contention that a player should necessarily be set up for life after a 10-15 year career. It's not as if it's beyond them to find another job or another source of income elsewhere in the 30-50 years following retirement from professional football, though they do deserve to share in money generated by these massive companies.

With the current level of celebrity afforded to footballers, they could hardly go get a job in dixons (or alot of other jobs), it just wouldnt work.

Take a book about someone else, change the name on the cover to yours, make millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Stekelly wrote:

I dont agree with the likes of Rio Ferdinand on £120,000 a week but a few grand a week is not too much for a player to ask.

Yeah, I agree with you. I don't think there's anything wrong with a player earning a lot of money. It only becomes an issue when the player is earning so much and doesn't give 100% that's when the player should be ashamed of himself.

While I think it is quite honourable of Tomassi to take such a low wage I hope he doesn't end up regretting his decision.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmcquaid

according to the article(at least what i think it says) is that its only this season that he has sighned this kind of deal so its fair to assume he was on big money before this although it is a breaith of fresh air to hear this kind of thing

cmcquaid wrote:
    according to the article(at least what i think it says) is that its only this season that he has sighned this kind of deal so its fair to assume he was on big money before this although it is a breaith of fresh air to hear this kind of thing

"...why he signed a one-year contract, the tenth consecutive one, again uniting him to the red and yellow team at the lowest minimum amount allowed by law."

I do think he was on far more before though, you are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

[cynical bastard] He was to be offered a pay as you play deal but asked for this instead, he didnt play last season and only once this season so technically hes up money. He wouldnt have gotten a long contract elsewhere so this was his best option[/cynical bastard]

yes im a cynical bastard :(

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So if your job turned around an offered you 60,00 a week to do the current job you were doing you would turn around and say "ah no its grand, sure i dont need that much money, you lads keep it".?

Its not plyers fault they get paid so much. Its simple supply and demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

In fairness, he already had 10 years or so of good money and he probraly can afford to do it now. STILL though not many players would do this at all. Fair play to him. Setting a good example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Thought i'd let you's know, this guy scored for Roma tonight. The celebration was great, because the whole team came over to congratulate him and seemed genuinely happy for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I saw a good chunk of that game. He played the full 90 minutes and was my man of the match. I'm a big fan of Tommasi and I was delighted for him today, as was the teaml. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Thought i'd let you's know, this guy scored for Roma tonight. The celebration was great, because the whole team came over to congratulate him and seemed genuinely happy for him!

Happy to hear this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tommasi is an absolute legend of a player, been singing his praises for years! and this just adds to it

what a man! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Excellent post, very enjoyable..cheers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

good post Brock.
    I'm glad i sponsored you for your one hit wonder posts. :)

Advertisement