Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit dispute

Options
  • 03-11-2005 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

I have recently moved out of rented accommodation. The landlord has detailed the following deductions from the deposit.

Patio Door Key €150.00
    Front Door Keys €75.00
    Patio curtain €181.60
    Cleaning €100.00
    Chairs €60.00
    Cooker Switches €60.00
    Bulbs €10.00
    €636.60

Which means that out of a €950.00 deposit they're returning €313.40 :mad:

Patio Door Key: Wasn't there when we moved in - they're charging me for changing the locks
    Front Door Keys: Returned - they're charging me for changing the locks
    Patio curtain: They claim the curtain closing mechanism was broken and have to pay professionals to come and fix it. It worked fine when I moved out.
    Cleaning: The place was cleaned thoroughly before we left. They want me to pay for professional cleaners to come in.
    Chairs: One knob fell off the back when someone hung a coat on it - wear & tear
    Cooker Switches: Two of them fell off the first time the cooker was used - existing problem
    Bulbs: wear & tear - not all worked when moved in!

According to the PRTB site the deposit may be retained or deductions made where there are 1) rent arrears or 2) costs incurred to repair damage above normal wear and tear.

I believe this landlord is trying to rip me off. Deposit was paid up front and rent was paid on time by direct deposit. I think this landlord sees me as a soft touch! What options are available to me to recover my money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Yikes! That seems like a rip-off.
    Patio Door Key: Wasn't there when we moved in - they're charging me for changing the locks

What has the landlord said to this - he cant claim you didnt give back the keys if you clearly did or else he is just out and out lying about it. Ditto the patio door key - did you ever ask him for this or point out to him that it wasnt there (presumably you were unable to use the door during the time you were there)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

dannyd20 wrote:
    I have recently moved out of rented accommodation. The landlord has detailed the following deductions from the deposit.

Patio Door Key €150.00
    Front Door Keys €75.00
    Patio curtain €181.60
    Cleaning €100.00
    Chairs €60.00
    Cooker Switches €60.00
    Bulbs €10.00
    €636.60

Which means that out of a €950.00 deposit they're returning €313.40 :mad:

Patio curtain: They claim the curtain closing mechanism was broken and have to pay professionals to come and fix it. It worked fine when I moved out.
    Cleaning: The place was cleaned thoroughly before we left. They want me to pay for professional cleaners to come in.
    Chairs: One knob fell off the back when someone hung a coat on it - wear & tear
    Cooker Switches: Two of them fell off the first time the cooker was used - existing problem
    Bulbs: wear & tear - not all worked when moved in!
    QUOTE]

Patio Doors: Was this pointed out to landlord when you moved in? It should have been by someone. Otherwise offer to have it replaced yourself. you will find it is a lot cheaper.

Fromt Door: Though luck to him. I am a landlord of three houses. I cahnge all locks between tenants at my own cost. It is very easy (and cheap) to swap the central key lock of union/yale locks (e.g. about €10 + €2 per key) these can be rotated after a few years.

Patio Curtian: If you can show it works then this is fine. He cant fine you for this.

Cleaning: Unless previously agreed in a contract he cannot charge you as this is normal wear and tear unless you have destroyed the place.

Chairs: Offer to buy a new chair. it is only one so pay for one, in fairness you did break it so its only right you pay for it. Shouldnt be more than 30-50 euro.

Cooker Switches: Was this pointed out to landlord that they broke originally, if not thats your problem.

Bulbs: While it would be expected you habd back the property with bulbs working, i personally would turn a blind eye to this. Bulbs are around 50-80c in cash and carry.

Get in touch with www.threshold.ie as they will help you out. PRTB are useless (if they ever answer the phone) and the only thing they are there for is government reasons. I pay them each time but can never get through to talk to them on phone.

Take pictures of the house before you leave. And to others; take pictures when you arrive of anything broken or out of place, give the landlord a copy and then you have some proof. Ask for a reciept for pictures.
    Good luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

homeOwner wrote:
    Yikes! That seems like a rip-off.

Abso-fukin-lutely!

homeOwner wrote:
    What has the landlord said to this

He's actually a letting agent and his stock response is that he has to spend whatever it takes to get the property in the same condition as it was when we moved in.

We couldn't use the patio door while we were there as it was locked all the time but it wasn't a problem as we didn't need to. However charging me for changing the locks is crazy!

Any advice where to go/who to talk to to get my money back?

Small claims court??
    PRTB any good?

Thanks

gibo_ie wrote:
    Patio Doors: Was this pointed out to landlord when you moved in?

No - wasn't a problem for us, just assumed we weren't allowed to use the patio door.
    gibo_ie wrote:
    Take pictures of the house before you leave. And to others; take pictures when you arrive of anything broken or out of place, give the landlord a copy and then you have some proof. Ask for a reciept for pictures.
    Good luck,

I moved out at the end of september (yes - it's taken this long for him to even think about giving back some of the deposit!) so unfortunately the pictures thing isn't any good to me now.

I realise this means that I also can't prove whether anything was actually damaged or not

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think the next step is to go to the small claims court. But first of all inform the agent that you will be doing this as the threat can make them back off if they are chancing their arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Zena

I agree with iguana, he might back down when he finds out ye are serious about getting it back. Also inform Threshold of the situation, perhaps one of the representatives from there could give him a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Patio Door Key - Did you ask for a key before you changed the locks and did you check with the letting agent before changing the locks? If not then i'd say they are well within their rights. Same goes for front door.

The cleaning, bulbs, chairs and cooker are ridiculous. They can't take wear and tear items off you. Have a look at threshold.ie for more info!

BC wrote:
    Patio Door Key - Did you ask for a key before you changed the locks and did you check with the letting agent before changing the locks? If not then i'd say they are well within their rights. Same goes for front door.

huh? I didn't change the locks. The letting agent wants to change the locks and charge me for it.

I've contacted Threshold and PRTB. Threshold got back to me with the following
    PRTB wrote:
    The PRTB (see www.prtb.ie) have a dispute resolution service which you could access to dispute the deposit retention.
    You are correct in that damage above normal wear and tear is deductible from the deposit.

Alternatively we could write to the Landlord however we have no legal powers. (the prtb have legal power to determine the validity of deposit retentions).

I would need to discuss with you the issues of charging for locks as there may be an issue with a valid notice of termination.

I'm still waiting for PRTB to respond. No-one seems to answer the phone there!

Thanks for the help so far guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

dannyd20 wrote:

Patio Door Key €150.00
    Front Door Keys €75.00
    Patio curtain €181.60
    Cleaning €100.00
    Chairs €60.00
    Cooker Switches €60.00
    Bulbs €10.00
    €636.60

You can't be charged for noraml wear and tear. It is not normal for a landlord to supply bulbs as the go out though as it is seen a living cost normally. THe charge for the locks seem reasonable under the assumption they believe you had the keys. The chairs and cooker sound beyond normal wear a tear but I would question it. Patio rail damage is debatable too. The cleaning is not an expense you should pay. THe estate agents will charge for everything untill there is a complaint. Question it all and you will get some back.

Advertisement