Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biker knocked over - Terenure Road East

Options
  • 03-11-2005 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭

Just came home and passed by a poor biker flat out on the road at the junction between Terenure Road East and Brighton Road.

Having just bought a car after being a biker for many a year without ever being in a crash its left me a little shook up. I remember leaving work this afternoon and thinking that conditions are really bad for bikers this evening - wet roads, drizze, probably fogged up visor and windy..a total recipie for an accidant.

There was a Garda redirecting traffice while someone (a doctor? , no ambulance in sight) was leaning over him. He was flat out on the wet road.

I really really hope he comes out of this with little more than a few bumps and bruises.

Be safe out there guys we are entering the worst time of year to be on two wheels.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aye. Wet roads, wet leaves, it's a nightmare. And drivers seem to be more aggressive than ever. I'm giving myself an extra 10 minutes each morning :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I feel sorry for anyone in an accident like that - but in response to Seamus who says that Drivers are getting more aggressive, not all are. But also some bikers still zip past you well in excess of speed limit and constantly weave in and out. Now that's dangerous!

S

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep forgot about the leaves..totally aggree..wet leaves are just as bad as ice or snow.

This driver pays extra special attention to bikers at least!

But yep I really wonder if most car drivers appreciate just how vunerable bikers are in conditions like these. From inside a nice air conditioned car with the radio playing its very easy to to feel removed from the envionmental conditions on the other side of the window.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Best wishes to the biker down, I hope he gets sorted out.

Wet Leaves. Wet Bikes. Wet Brakes. Wet tires. Wet Manhole covers. Water filled pot holes. Large puddles. Wet over banding. Diesel pools bigger because they're diluted. Random slippery crap. Wet white lines. Wet raised white lines. Depressed car drivers after horrible wet days in work, stuck in their cars in heavy traffic missing their kids/TV/cats. Sun in your eyes in the morning. Dark, rain, full beams and brake lights on your way home.

Changing lanes (aka weaving in and out) isn't that dangerous. I don't do it with the flair and natural skill of some of the other people on bikes and at lot of time the time I have lot of time so bother really.

On the M50 or dual carriageways for example you get lots of cars driving at 100kmh average staggered in both lanes leaving loads of room for overtaking and illegal but safe undertakes. A fluid set of over and under takes is "weaving" but each is really its own separately planned and executed manoeuvre.

It’s a dangerous time of year. We always seem to get a greater number of “high powered motorcycles ploughing into other vehicles” (read: motorcycles getting bumped) at this time of year. Dunno about single vehicle accidents with all of the warriors parked up for the winter, they probably stay the same as the restrained and sensible types have stupid accidents due to poor roads. (And then there’s me, winter warrior, who has never ridden in the summer.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

slumped wrote:
    I feel sorry for anyone in an accident like that - but in response to Seamus who says that Drivers are getting more aggressive, not all are. But also some bikers still zip past you well in excess of speed limit and constantly weave in and out. Now that's dangerous!

S
    ugh, go away trolly, for one thing he said that car drivers seem more aggressive, not are, for the other, well there were two mammoth threads on car drivers versus bikers on this board (well, before the split) before, so lets not get that one rolling again shall we

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Happened to see the aftermath of an accident this morning on the Nangor rd., a van was doing a U-turn halfway down a road. Bike was travelling on the outside.By the time I'd arrived he'd been taken away.

Advertisement