Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating Area of a triangle with no angles

• 03-11-2005 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

How do i calculate the area of the triangle which has 3 sides naturally enough, measuring 4m, 1.5m and 3m in size.

Its a non right angle triangle so cant use 1/2base * perpendicular height.
    I also cant use the SINE rule to work out some angles as i`d need at least 1 angle to implement the SINE rule formula.

Am i missing something simple or obvious here?:confused:
    All help is appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Three sides are a, b and c, then

area = SQRT(s*(s-a)*(s-b)*(s-c))

where s = (a+b+c)/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,670 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

dudara wrote:
    Three sides are a, b and c, then

area = SQRT(s*(s-a)*(s-b)*(s-c))

where s = (a+b+c)/2

That's handy to know!

I did it the basic way, by splitting the triangle into two right-angled triangles which lets you calculate the height of the triangle and lengths of the two parts that now form the base. Result is same

I'm pretty sure that it's in the log tables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thanks for the solutions lads.
    I checked the log tables already, it only has the basic formula 1/2base *perpendicular height.
    It shows the Sine rule too, but doesnt mention that formula that you gave, Dudara.

I've an ancient copy of the log tables, that I've had since my Junior Cert and it was my uncle's prior to that. (My Gran never threw anything away!). It's on page 6 of mine for reference's sake, in the left hand column.

Might have been cut from newer editions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I've an ancient copy of the log tables, that I've had since my Junior Cert and it was my uncle's prior to that. (My Gran never threw anything away!). It's on page 6 of mine for reference's sake, in the left hand column.

Might have been cut from newer editions

:o Your dead right actually, dudara
    I missed that somehow.

Did ye actually calculate the area out, i get 1.91metres squared but that seems a bit small?

@unkel
    And having another look at it, i dont think you can split it down the middle to make 2 right angled triangles as the base is 4m, but the other 2 sides are at an angle and dont allow you to split it directly down the middle. If you do try split it, how do you know how long each bit of the baseline are, and how do you know the height of the perpendicular line.

No, 1.91 m^2 is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Shamooaaan mutha ****a - link
    Also am i missing something why not draw the thing and get the angles from that. Will do it CAD later for you if you wan?............hungry now:D

Nukem

Advertisement