Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Speed Internet

Options
  • 03-11-2005 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any high speed internet providers? I can't get broadband. Satelite costs about 1k to install with Digiweb. It sucks. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Time to clarify? Broadband is High Speed internet (not technical description).

I assume you mean you can't get ADSL (Eircon etc.). Where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you can't get DSL, you're probably out of luck; unless you move to Northern Ireland, where they have 100% broadband coverage. Probably not a realistic option.

Actually, have you checked if there might be a wireless provider/GBS scheme covering your area?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

where in Kerry

give these guys a ring they might know stuff http://www.vbnets.com/

they haven't put all the info back on the www.irishwan.org site yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Micky Finn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I wouldn't feel secure ordering from crosscountrybroadband, their site is amateur (for an isp), that and the fact it operates through existing satellite dishes which means it is one way - as in you'll have use your phoneline to upload. To the OP, I'm in the same situation as you, no chance of DSL, so what I did was give up, it's NEVER going to be 100% available in Ireland due to the fact of who it's left in the hands of (a private company). Just put up with 56k like me I'm afraid..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Micky Finn, are you on commission? I thought I'd play on the safe side and edit your post in case you were pimping (given that I can't search easily). Then I thought, hell no .. if you are pimping the site you're a bigger eejit! So, are you involved with them, in any way?

Beware of buying resold satellite from a company just formed, and little-known, is my advice.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Are only hope is Wimax and a lot of praying. I can't wait until the day I can give eircon the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I am in a similar position to you as I am living about 3 miles from my local exchange which has just been DSL enabled.

I understand that Eircon are currently running trials on rate adaptive or longer distance DSL and my only hope at the moment is that they roll it out to all their exchanges at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Hi Orlie,

I'm in Kerry aswell and have had similar problems .... i use 1-way satellite broadband via my sky dish .... You still need your dial-up but depending on your useage, you could get one of the deals from your isp 25 hours off-peak use for 15Eur or so ...

Then if you have a satellite dish pointed towards Astra..then you will need a satellite card for your PC (Skystar) and a Quad LNB (so that you run one cable to your PC and one to the Sky box), and some coax cable

You could probably pick up the lot for about 120Eur .... Speed is ok...not good for gaming, but for downloading and general browsing its been ok

Orlie wrote:
    Does anyone know of any high speed internet providers? I can't get broadband. Satelite costs about 1k to install with Digiweb. It sucks. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dolanp

Guys,

try www.kerrybroadband.com. They have a service depending on what part of kerry you are in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Paul, given that you have helped by supplying the URL, I'll leave it there. However, you are asked to disclose your interests (read our forum charter) for future posts about your company. Welcome to the forum!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Orlie wrote:

Their plan is to roll out enough wireless to cover everyone with Wireless or aDSL and ditch the satellites.

Advertisement