Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu Ireland

• 03-11-2005 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

We urgently need support from ALL Irish Ubuntu users to get a portal for our needs! I have already requested a mailing list, domain and web hosting support from the Ubuntu Project.

Register YOUR Support!

You can:
    Post here to show your support or email me Directly: DF@dueyfinster.com and join our IRC Channel #Ubuntu-ie on irc.freenode.net

A short summary of our intiatives and goals is available at:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam

Once again all support is appreiciated! Our main goal is the spread of opensource software, just like Ubuntu and the packages it provides to an Irish audience. We are also aimed at the end-user, hence Ubuntu as our distro of choice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Show of support!
    I'd be interested in helping edubuntu
    match up with the Irish educational system
    at all levels.

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Not to sure what I could offer at the moment - but as a happy Irish Ubuntu user, I'll register my interest in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'll offer my support if I can get my wireless mouse working in Ubuntu :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

I am sorry about your wireless mouse, check ubuntu forums? (www.ubuntuforums.org)

We will deal with technical issues once we get the site going!! Thanks for your support, all of it is greatly appreiciated!! I will keep you all up to date on the project.

Thanks,
    DueyFinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

I'd really like to find a way to get AirportExtreme working on my PowerBook G4 (I have Ubuntu running beside OS X), also I'd like to get the hardware acceleration for the Radeon running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh this sounds like a great idea.
    Maybe you should have the irc chan on Irc.Quakenet.Org ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Homun: Hardware accelleration for your radeon can be relatively easy. Search for "fglrx" under synaptic and install the stuff that hits. Then backup and edit your xorg.conf and change "ati" to "fglrx". Generally that's enough.

Khannie wrote:
    Homun: Hardware accelleration for your radeon can be relatively easy. Search for "fglrx" under synaptic and install the stuff that hits. Then backup and edit your xorg.conf and change "ati" to "fglrx". Generally that's enough.

It's not that easy on a PowerPC platform - have tried to find fglrx for PowerPC without success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

*hangs head*

Assumed you were running on x86 based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

MacOSX is fairly better than Ubuntu, only prob is it costs money, and PPC ubuntu isn't as developed as x86 ubuntu, i'd stick with OSX if i had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i'd be happy to help if i could ever get my damn wireless card to work. Wreck the head! Love ubuntu though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

*registers interest*

mp3guy wrote:
    MacOSX is fairly better than Ubuntu, only prob is it costs money, and PPC ubuntu isn't as developed as x86 ubuntu, i'd stick with OSX if i had it.

Yes, OS X is better, but I'd like to have dual boot on my PowerBook. So I have both. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cgaryrun

/me shows some support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Yeah I love Ubuntu, waiting for the CDs to come to move main machine on to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TimAy wrote:
    i'd be happy to help if i could ever get my damn wireless card to work. Wreck the head! Love ubuntu though.
    What card ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

Hello,

I wouldn't mind helping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

also interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Support from me too! Only new to Ubuntu myself but it seems like a good-un

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Also interested - Don't know what help I can be though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Like he said. *points up*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

I'm interested too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I'm also running Ubuntu on an Apple Laptop. Though I think Ubuntu is a better desktop than OSX. OSX has a retarted GUI at times, and it's not a full featured as Ubuntu.

I'm having 'fun' with hardware acceleration on my Radeon 9550 on my iBook. Apparently newer ati card like this *are* supported by the open source drivers but it's a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Interested

Running 6.10 final on my Vaio, 6.06 server on fw/gateway

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭derby7

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper (also have the option of booting into Kubuntu), both are interesting. I'm a little diff than most as i dont ave an internet connection, so i have to download the deb files or source files & install programs that way. I've got a TV card working & Mythtv going, believe it or not. I got TVTime and a few music programs working. All in all, a good experience..... :p

Advertisement