Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn windows.........

• 23-09-2001 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

I've stuck IE6(beta) on my computer and now it's causing a couple o' probs, but the main one is that I can't refresh the boards!!!! at all, even if I clear my temporary internet files, it just keeps showing me a page from like 3 days ago when I type in www.boards.ie/vbulletin/ It's barely different to IE5.5 so anyone who has encountered this might be able to help me?...... CHeers all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Upgrade to the final IE 6 release. I heard bad things about the beta and avoided it (and plus anything that is beta and is an "integrated" part of the OS is a no-no :) ).

Works perfectly for me, system boots around 3-4 seconds faster as well (Windows 98SE, I heard similar speed ups in Win2k). Also, rendering is meant to be faster, and you get to have uber-control over cookies, just like Konqueror in KDE.

It is definitely worth the upgrade, and the full installation for me anyway was only 20MB or so (and it even puts it all in a Windows Update Folder so you can keep the files if you want to install it some other time again).

I mean, people have a problem with FINAL releases of MS software being buggy, but christ, why go one up on everyone and use BETA MS software ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by R. Daneel Olivaw

I mean, people have a problem with FINAL releases of MS software being buggy, but christ, why go one up on everyone and use BETA MS software ;)

LOL, no, I don't know what it is. I got it free with PCPlus, and they said it was stable :( but there was the word 'beta' thrown in somewhere....

It is a lot better though, faster, and that cookie control is a godsend; the satisfaction you get from pressing the 'block cookie' button muhahahha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

im using 6.0.2495[the version with XP 2495] and it works great, looks very funky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Check under
    Tools->Internet Options.
    In the Temporary Internet Files frame select
    Settings.
    Under Check for Newer version of Stored Pages
    ensure that Automatically is selected.

Click ok.
    Then In the Temporary Internet Files frame select
    delete all off line content.

Shut down IE6 and reopen.

should work now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks amen, first person to actually give some advice, but that's what I was doing, but it just loads a brand new boards.ie page into my temp internet files and then uses that one all the time, same problem again. I could clear my tif folder every time I shutdown but that folder can be handy for finding sites I forgot to take the url down for or to speed up pages with loadsa jpgs that I always use(like boards.ie)

• Advertisement
Advertisement