Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike maintenance service

Options
  • 04-11-2005 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I've got a trek 7200 and would like to know where's good to get it tightened up in Dublin. What do they do/how much?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Cycleways on Parnell St. have a notice in their workshop detailing the cost of various things from repairing a puncture to a full service. Don't recall the actual prices though. You could do a lot of this work yourself if you had the time/inclination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Thanks for the reply Morgan.

I've little experience with bike maintenance except fixing punctures and brakes. I'd be afraid I'd over tighten something. So I like the idea of a professional doing a good job on it. Any others subjections other then cycleways?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

A place in rathmines sell treks also.

They display there prices in the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

If you bought your bike recently,you should get your first service free of charge in the shop where you bought it.The reason being the brake and gear cables streach after about a month and require readjusting after a months use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Cheers for that wideangle, got it tuned after a month, but need to do so again. If I was to take care of it myself I'd be most intimidated going near the suspension forks, been told you really have to know what ur doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Unless there is something wrong with your forks I'd just leave them alone. A general bike service will not usually include fork servicing anyway, as far as I know. You're right that you need to know what you're doing with forks. But that applies to the shops too... there are many many shops I wouldn't trust with my forks.

Everything else on a bike is pretty easy to adjust and service. Mostly its just re-tuning gears and brakes. Just jump in and give it a go yourself first. It doesn't take much in the way of tools. There are plenty of websites which give maintanance tips (such as www.bikemagic.com, sheldon brown, parktools etc). Sure even if you make a mess of it you can always leave it into a bikeshop anyway, and you'll be no worse off!

Oh, and by the way, its pretty much the same for every bike. The fact that yours is a Trek makes little or no difference. The components you (or the shop) would be adjusting are extremely unlikely to be Trek branded anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

UCD Bike shop all the way. The guy in there is sound and its cheap too....€15 for a full service. He is open till 5 I think on weekdays and open 10-2 on a saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

halfords coolock
    e25.99 for a years free labour on all bikes it also includes a 25point safty chek all you pay is for the parts if needed. example a buckled wheel wil be fixed free if you have the plan. fantastic if bike is used daily

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What part of Dublin are you in? Stick local to your home or work if at all possible, or local to your transit hub. Joe Daly's in Dundrum suits me as I can hop on the Luas afterwards. Think Bike in Rathmines are good too, and have longer opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

halfords coolock
    e25.99 for a years free labour on all bikes it also includes a 25point safty chek all you pay is for the parts if needed. example a buckled wheel wil be fixed free if you have the plan. fantastic if bike is used daily

I get an even better deal! Labour is free, I just pay for parts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What part of Dublin are you in? Stick local to your home or work if at all possible, or local to your transit hub. Joe Daly's in Dundrum suits me as I can hop on the Luas afterwards. Think Bike in Rathmines are good too, and have longer opening hours.
    this is the zombiest thread resurrection i think i've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I would say the OP got the bike serviced multiple times in the past 11 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

this is the zombiest thread resurrection i think i've seen.
    Apologies - somehow I managed to end up looking at the oldest posts in the forum instead of the latest ones.

Advertisement