Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drive... stuff

• 24-09-2001 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭

ive got a hard drive here...

IBM model; DPTA-372050

two of the pins on from the IDE connector were broken (at the soldering point) of the PCB. not they were hand soldered back on. messy but looks okay. now in the process the C89 cap came off. so from now on im going to try this my self... any help would be nice.

is this a lost cause? i would like to keep it... 20G drive...

cheers

j

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Did you just get a soldering kit for your birthday or something?
    You seem to be mad into making 3-soclet IDE cables and modding the PCB of your hdds ;)

I was like that a few months ago. Trying to make a SCSI Zip Drive connect to a a 50-pin internal SCSI ISA card. This card i got for nothinbg and had no back plane (which makes it handy for sticking in the shared ISA-PCi slot)

i reckon you should try and salvage the drive, IBMs are nice and 20Gb is hdamn handy. Good luck on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

i didnt do the first soldering job but i intend on doing another one.

j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Two things,

1 Hard Drives do not like ESD, so earth yourself well before you go playing with it.

2. Hard Drives don't like heat, so keep contact between the board and iron to a minimum.

Caps don't just "fall off" very often, so one would have to ask the question of why you have to do this in the first place.

Advertisement