Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

omgosh quick i need a good excuse

• 04-11-2005 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

i need an excuse for why i missed a tutorial that i dont have to have any proof of?

i'm thinkin something like i visited my granmother in hospital. but i dont want to make it like that... :eek: :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Pulled over for speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭john^doyle

yeah but i said in the email that i missed all my lectures than day for "personal reasons" so i cant change that around...

... i dont feel good about telling a bare-faced lie for 2% of my final grade but... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

if you said personal reasons then leave it at that. If they ask for more info jsut say that you'd prefer not to say why. They can't force to reveal why if its personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Had to bring mothers sick dog to vets.
    Look sullen & like you could get upset very easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

In fairness no one will push you to be more specific if you say 'personal reasons'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

"I just found out I have fathered six children in Mongolia, woke up this moring with a whole tribe at the door in Coolock, donkeys n'all...."

On a serious note, what tutorial is this that actually wants an excuse? Most of the people in mine are only coming in for the first time today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Tutorials are quite strict now (for first years). With this new horizon thing they're not so much tutorials anymore as an official part of your examinations. Missing one is like not turning up for part of your exam now.

What i'd say to you is: don't come up with some B.S because it will be sensed a mile away.... Try honest+apologetic approach... if it turns out that they're the type that demand proof.... try begging a bit.

It's all down to luck tbh... i've seen some tutors who never give an inch where others give a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭john^doyle

she was really sweet about it - i feel so bad!!

i told her personal reasons and she said she wouldnt ask any more. she walked with me down towards the library and told me how i could get support and extended deadlines if the reason was serious.

*is a bad person*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You my friend are going to Hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lmao, evil :p

Imagine your tutor found this thread! :eek: "That f*cker had no personal issues!:mad: FAAAIIILLL!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

john^doyle wrote:
    she was really sweet about it - i feel so bad!!

i told her personal reasons and she said she wouldnt ask any more. she walked with me down towards the library and told me how i could get support and extended deadlines if the reason was serious.

*is a bad person*
    Well you're damned for eternity at this stage. Might as well milk it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

m1ke wrote:
    Tutorials are quite strict now (for first years). With this new horizon thing they're not so much tutorials anymore as an official part of your examinations. Missing one is like not turning up for part of your exam now.

Oops I didn't know that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

You'd be amazed which powers that be read these boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

lollers at this thread....ur goin straight to hell boyo!!
    I'll see ya down there... i had to go to hosp for a consultation and am usin it to get out of three days of not going in for classes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Strange, no one has told me how important tutorials are? I'm a first year and figured missing one or two was no big deal? So far I've only missed one, but was considering not going to one tomorrow. I take it I should then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

it depends a bit on the subject.
    Ie maths for me are important as each counts for 2%, however problem solving counts for nothing other than to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

vote4pedro wrote:
    Strange, no one has told me how important tutorials are? I'm a first year and figured missing one or two was no big deal? So far I've only missed one, but was considering not going to one tomorrow. I take it I should then?

Only one answer to that........ GO GO GO!!!

I learned more in 20 tutorials than 90 or so lectures last year. Attendance is taken, you get ''brownie points'' if you're marginal in passing at the end of the year by attending and they're far more enjoyable and stimulating than lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

Ive missed many a tutorial so far. :( i think ive missed 2-3 chemistry at least and i wasnt even registered properly for them(not my fault) for a lot of the year so far so i dont know how much it will affect me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I gave personal reasons as an excuse for being late for a tutorial and was asked to elaborate. I refused and she said "hope it was something substantial" or someother line.

Bitch

i've been late to a few and never had anything said to me other than a strange look :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

I'm a first year, I reckon I've missed only a couple of my history/classics tutorials, all bar one of my early christian Ireland ones and none of my Canadian studies ones. I wish I'd known they counted twoards our grade....:(

they don't all count towards your grade. It depends on the subject. Ask your lecturers or something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Yeah what B-K-Dzr said not all tutorials/small groups actually count for grades...Ask ur tutor though, some are like 2-3% and other modules have attendance as 15% of your end of semester grade! THen again others dont count at all but they can be useful!

Advertisement