Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W2K cannot detect my Modem

• 24-09-2001 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

I upgraded my machine over the weekend somewhat (new HD and went from 98 to w2k).

Unfortunately, my modem appears to have dissapeared as a result and w2k can't seem to detect it.

I've tried to pull it out, reboot & pop it back in and reboot and see if that will get it back onto the radar, to no avail.

Another curious thing is that I now appear to have COM 1 + 3 (rather than COM 1 + 2). I have another app working off COM 1, but even when I free up that port and try to install the modem onto it, nothing happends. Ultimately I think this is immaterial as w2k cannot seem to be able to detect it in the first place.

Any suggestions (I can't use my flatmate's PC as a dial-up proxy forever :rolleyes: )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Have u tried the manufacturers site? They may have win2k drivers available.
    If not try using a generic driver for your chipset, eg Lucent, Rockwell/Connexant etc.
    The chip set details should eb available from manufacturer. (or a good benchmaking program can usually identify.)

Have you tryed the modem in another slot, just in case.

Finally i would try it in your mates machine to ensure the modem has not gone belly up.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Xterminator
    Have u tried the manufacturers site? They may have win2k drivers available.
    If not try using a generic driver for your chipset, eg Lucent, Rockwell/Connexant etc.

I don't think that's the issue as my PC won't detect it in the first place.

Have you tryed the modem in another slot, just in case.

Yup. No joy.

Finally i would try it in your mates machine to ensure the modem has not gone belly up.

Hmmm... Hope he's not logged no at the moment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

internal modem's usually use com3 or com4 as their port as such, it could be something as simple as an IRQ setting that makes some of the devices conflict.

Try disabling the serial ports in the bios, and see whether the modem has any jumper settings on it to change the IRQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

are you sure you have completely uninstalled the modem?
    the only reason win2k wont find a new device is if it alreaddy there (may be down as other device?) or if its a brick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

have u considered that maybe Win2K doesn't support the modem's drivers!

• Advertisement

have you considered reading other peoples posts before replying with stupid statements?
    he said 'it does not get detected'.
    this has nothing to do with drivers.

have you considered going on a hardware course, or maybe a 'lets think things through first' course?

i would still say it sounds like your modem is either kaput big time, or its already installed as another device.
    try manually installing it yet?
    interesting to see if it you can still install it regardless of pnp

screw u hippy! :p

but anyway back to what i was geting at... i was seting up an isdn card on a comp using Win2K n it didn't pick it up till i installed the software!

Or another time it didn't pick up a network card, i went into add new hardware, did a search but it still didn't pick it up! so i told it it was lookin for a nic n installed the software...

Originally posted by azezil
    screw u hippy! :p

but anyway back to what i was geting at... i was seting up an isdn card on a comp using Win2K n it didn't pick it up till i installed the software!

yes, im sure you would like to screw me, however, i am not that way inclined.
    thanks for the invitation though.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

thanks for the invitation though.

anytime ;)

Advertisement