Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying an automatic

Options
  • 04-11-2005 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

What should I look out for when buying an automatic? I know they are not very popular in Ireland. I have heard the bigger engines are better for automatic cars but I don't know if that is true.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

thejuggler wrote:
    What should I look out for when buying an automatic? I know they are not very popular in Ireland. I have heard the bigger engines are better for automatic cars but I don't know if that is true.

Well you lose alot of power in an automatic....this is true to all automatics....no matter how big an engine.....more power with a gear stick......

Friend bought an import one....Mirage.....98 one.....I hate it to be honest......when I first get in I keep going for clutch but soon got past that!! the major problem is when it changes gears you get a chucking motion as it jumps up into the next gear....I find it extremely slow as well.....but it only has a 1.3 engine in it.....but a 1.3 non-automatic is alot faster...have drove the Colt which was exact same, 99 one....was alot faster!!

Few years ago was in a brand new Primera automatic...not sure what engine was in it but a big enough one being the new type Primera.....cousin from US had it rented out.....was driving around in it for about a day(at that stage I had an older model Primera) and althou it was a little slower on the take off you didnt have the same chucking motion as it went up thru the gear box....GF also drove an automatic in NZ this year, was an Alemera or soemthing similiar to a primera....2ltr engine or so....she said there was no problem with the chucking

So in other words yeah the bigger the engine the better,.....myself I would never change to an automatic.....take the fun out of driving without changing gears:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

thejuggler wrote:

What car were you thinking of?
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Well you lose alot of power in an automatic....this is true to all automatics....no matter how big an engine

Not true. You don't lose any power. Traditionally automatics in general were a bit slower (mainly in acceleration, only slightly in top speed) because they were slightly heavier than the manual they were based on. Also the gear changing in the automatic was not optimal

This is more and more a thing of the past though. Take the BMW 530d for example. Both manual and automatic do 0-100km/h in 6.8 seconds...

unkel wrote:
    Not true. You don't lose any power. Traditionally automatics in general were a bit slower (mainly in acceleration, only slightly in top speed) because they were slightly heavier than the manual they were based on. Also the gear changing in the automatic was not optimal

This is more and more a thing of the past though. Take the BMW 530d for example. Both manual and automatic do 0-100km/h in 6.8 seconds...

Maybe in the big ass automatic but how many people can afford them??? as above I mentioned that a newer Primera didnt have the chuck motion but was slower off the line.....in most automatics that your normal joe soap will buy there will be abit of power loss and also slower on take off....from driving them I found this.....in both the Primera and the Mirage/Colt.....this is speaking from a personal point of view and I have also seen it reported on numerous occasions......

I know on the bigger cars this doesnt happen....avid watcher of TopGear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

i like manual cars and yes they do have entertainment factor
    However, in current traffic situation , automatic makes lots of sense.

you don't have to do motorists version of riverdance everytime you drive to work. clutch-brake accelerator clutch-brake, brake brake horn. clutch fingers accelerator

i had lots of manual cars but also
    1.5 mk 1 CRX auto
    and 1.5 CIVIC SLI auto

both of them were rockets and great for town. 1.3 automatic is waste of time, gearbox will be hunting for gears. they feel slower mainly because clutch slip and funny engine noise. on paper they just bit slower. Just because your engine revs higher doesn't meant that you are going faster. I could take anybody from traffic lights. You just boot the car and it does go instead of spinning wheels . Now you can get tiptronic gearboxes and the one where you can lock the gears. Also handy on motorway you just boot the car again and box drops gear lower instantly and revs got up like mad- instant pull,

another thing it doesn't roll on the hills and in multistorey carparks

if you are boyracer type then go for manual. saying that there is enough performance cars fitted with auto box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Big Nelly wrote:
    normal joe soap...
    Eh who now?...

The majority of cars sold on this planet are automatics and the technology used to design and build them has come a long way in the last twenty years. Irish attitudes to electric windows, airbags and 'anything else that can go wrong' has always meant slow takeup and a fear of the unknown. The 'chucking' described is known as flaring and it happens when the clutches and brake bands wear in high mileage cars - it does not affect all automatics. You don't need to buy a bigger engine, just a model with a good engine/transmission choice. I've driven several Jap import Micras with auto boxes and found them very pleasant. My wife has an automatic Espace and she didn't want it when I brought it home - (said it took the fun out of driving or some nonsense) but she insists that she will only ever drive autos from now on.

Most cars sold in Japan (and most of them have 'smaller' engines) and most cars sold in the US have autos and I take the point that they have bigger engines but average engine sizes are on the increase worldwide, we are just slower to accept it.

To the OP - give an idea of what you have in mind - I am a big fan of autos, I've owned several and driven lots and I have never been able to kill one. Merc and BM are working on seven speed boxes which will make progress very smooth indeed. Many people will tell you that Merc manual boxes are actually very poor and their autos are the best in the world. If you have a model in mind and are planning a test drive you should plan to drive it at least ten miles in a mix of conditions watching for juddering under braking, flaring on acceleration and that the car doesn't slip backward on an incline when in 'D'.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Only this day last week i changed my 99 1.8 toyota avensis automatic and it deffo was not down on power.
    It was every bit as powerful as a m8s 1.8 manual and a lot more powerful than standard 1.6.
    I cannot praise this car enough,infact if you want ill link you to who has it for sale now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

There's only one affordable automatic on the market that's worth anything and it's the PAG group's DSG gearbox.

I've driven it in a new Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi and I have to say it's the best auto I've ever driven. Changes are seamless and power delivery seems instant.

Forgot to make a relevant point in my above post. Again take the example of the BMW 530d where the acceleration figures are the same for manual and automatic

Anybody can achieve the 6.8 seconds in the auto, just put the foot down. Only a professional driver that knows the optimal shifting points will achieve it in the manual

So for non profesional drivers the automatic is faster than the manual

AlanD wrote:
    PAG group

Damn, Porsche are moving fast on this one. Last I heared they bought some shares, now they own the place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I'm openminded really but I'm looking for a smaller car for my wife who has a slight disability which means it would be easier for her to drive an automatic than a standard car.

So from what I've read nothing smaller than a 1.4 is a runner?

She doesn't need a car for the open road - its most city driving anyway - going to work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

unkel wrote:
    ....So for non profesional drivers the automatic is faster than the manual
    IMHO this is true. In my old auto PASSAT I used to leave all the other cars behind when pulling away from the traffic lights literally without even meaning to.

For driving in Dublin traffic the auto is yer only man

The only disadvantage of autos is a slightly worse petrol consumption.

It's amazing to me how many people have a bad opinion of autoboxes - seems to be some kind of macho thing - once people have tried one for a week or two (ie rental on holiday in the US) they usually come to their senses.

ALL of the above is purely my opinion, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

unkel wrote:
    Damn, Porsche are moving fast on this one. Last I heared they bought some shares, now they own the place ;)

yeah heard that too and now they've sold them again....

Obviously I mean VAG.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

thejuggler wrote:
    I'm openminded really but I'm looking for a smaller car for my wife who has a slight disability which means it would be easier for her to drive an automatic than a standard car.

She doesn't need a car for the open road - its most city driving anyway - going to work etc.
    The auto is way easier to drive in traffic. I'm not sure if the 1.4 is an absolute limit. Some smaller engined cars have CVT autos (a different type of automatic gearbox) which should not be clunky.Take any cars you are interested in for a test spin and if they have clunky, unpleasant gearchanges then forget them.
    FWIW My wife used to have a 1988 Civic 1.4 auto which was very smooth and great to drive(and is still going strong).

Are you buying new or second hand? What's your budget?
    thejuggler wrote:

For city driving any engine would do, even a Micra 1.0 liter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

I Have the tiptronic model gearbox and i must say that the car is very nippy and you dont notice anything when she is changing gears. Very Economical as well

unkel wrote:
    Are you buying new or second hand? What's your budget?

For city driving any engine would do, even a Micra 1.0 liter

auto micra would be more likely 1.3 belt driven CVT and they aren't solid boxes

anyway back to question, things to check for most of the boxes
    -service history is good as gearbox should be serviced regulary(gearbox oils has to be changed frequently)
    -If the fluid is discoloured (brown ) or smells of burning more likely transmission has been overheated. Replacement of the fluid is then necessary.
    -gear changing should be free from any heavy vibration and there shouldn't be any "jump in to gear" changes
    -auto box should not really hunt for gears so do try to take it for longer spin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

My 300zx twin turbo is an auto, and with a turbocharged car an auto never falls off boost, so it keeps propelling you to the horizon. And you get the magical kickdown, when you floor the throttle it drops 2 gears and is off like a rocket - no wheel spin, no nothing, just acceleration, and as an added bonus i dont get tired crawling down the m50 every day...:rolleyes: :D

Ratchet wrote:
    auto micra would be more likely 1.3 belt driven CVT

Previous model was 1.0 CVT, current model is 1.2 with conventional auto, which is a shame

unkel wrote:
    Previous model was 1.0 CVT, current model is 1.2 with conventional auto, which is a shame

most cars i seen ranging 93-03 were jap versions of european 1.3 LX/SLX NCVT

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

thejuggler wrote:

This may seem like a very strange car to suggest, but the Daihatsu Terrios is a 1.3 pretend SUV that comes in an automatic. I have driven one, and although it didn't set the road alight, it was a lively enough engine and more than capable for urban driving.

However, there are a good few negatives to this car, a few being that it is very narrow, only 2 seats in the back, boot storage is pretty poor, it looks just a teeny bit crap (but this is obviously very subjective).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Pistachio

If your wife is not looking for anything fancy, I drive a Hyundai Accent 1.3ltr auto which I bought new in 2000, I find it excellent, never had it to garage except for regular service, never let me down, great around town and on roundabouts. I would prefer something with more power for longer journeys but could honestly recommend the Hyundai otherwise. HTH.

Ratchet wrote:
    most cars i seen ranging 93-03 were jap versions of european 1.3 LX/SLX NCVT

Old model Micra imports from Japan were 1.0 too, check this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I'm not a great fan of automatics myself, however, it is strange that auto boxes in cars are so primitive in comparison to those found in agricultural tractors.

CVT boxes are common now in many tractors (replacing powershift i.e. clutchless change boxes at an alarming rate), and standard on larger models. The disadvantages (inevitable power loss) seem to be outweighed by the advantages (increased efficiency, less driver fatigue, etc). I know part of the reason is that the useful powerband in a tractor is less than 1000k rpm, but that doesnt explain totally the perseverence of the manual box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

I'm a big fan of automatics, although unlike most of my north american peers, I drive both manual and automatics well. I learned to drive in a car with a 3l engine, dual exhaust, turbo. I've driven all kinds of cars over the past 13 years. I commute 50 miles each way to and from work, and I'm on the road 3-3.5 hours a day. What car I'm driving makes a huge difference to my wallet, mood and general well-being.

My current car is a 1998 Nissan March -- automatic, 998cc engine. It's a bit annoying at 120 km/h, but other than that, it's a brilliant car. If I never had to go over 100kmh, it'd be the perfect car. It's comfortable, reasonably fuel efficient, the transmission is in great shape, and in most cases I beat almost every other car off the mark when the light turns green.

It has a button to switch off "Overdrive", so it forces the downshift when you really need that extra Oomph for overtaking.

It has aircon too, so I'm not all sweaty when I get home in the summer, which is pretty sweet. :-)

I picked mine up for under €5k, and it only had about 60000 kms on the clock.

Eh who now?...

The majority of cars sold on this planet are automatics and the technology used to design and build them has come a long way in the last twenty years. Irish attitudes to electric windows, airbags and 'anything else that can go wrong' has always meant slow takeup and a fear of the unknown. The 'chucking' described is known as flaring and it happens when the clutches and brake bands wear in high mileage cars - it does not affect all automatics. You don't need to buy a bigger engine, just a model with a good engine/transmission choice. I've driven several Jap import Micras with auto boxes and found them very pleasant. My wife has an automatic Espace and she didn't want it when I brought it home - (said it took the fun out of driving or some nonsense) but she insists that she will only ever drive autos from now on.

Yeah the majority of cars sold on planet!! thats because the US cant drive anything but an auto!! cant drive most of them to be honest!! that is no reason!! US is the biggest market in world so if they sell auto then of course it is going to be the biggest seller in world!!!

In regards to the "flaring" as you call it....good engine/transmission????? the car I am talking about only had 20K on the clock and was in perfect condition!!! as mentioned by a few people on here this happens to all small engine autos.....I guess micra's with a smaller engine would have exactly the same problem!!!

also making a point about a woman driving an auto?? not much of an arguement to be honest!! :D

Tell the truth....auto's are for people that cant drive and shouldnt be allowed on the road in the first place!!:D

Oh cute. You really think women are bad drivers. How lovely.

Tell me, how much was YOUR insurance this year?

Oh cute. You really think women are bad drivers. How lovely.

Tell me, how much was YOUR insurance this year?

Thanks I am cute!!! beautiful to be honest!! Brad Pitt isnt a patch on moi!!!

very cheap!!! I have managed to not hit a car in over 11 years driving!! how much was yours?? and more to the point how long driving and how many marks has your car??? its so hard to park at the shopping centre...bang.......:D

Please note people I am taking the pi*s now

I haven't ever caused an accident. I've been driving 12 years and have always driven a lot including in ridiculous weather -- blizzards, tropical storms, etc.

I'd love to see the Irish driving population see a real snow storm. ROTFL

My car has almost no marks, and those that are there (I've counted 5) were there when I purchased the vehicle. Many dealers have commented that it's a very "clean Micra".

The fact that you honestly believe an entire nation of 296 million people "can't drive", and that half the population of the world are bad drivers (despite all evidence to the contrary!) pretty much paints your picture quite clearly though .

Awfully cocky for someone from a nation of unlicenced drivers.

I haven't ever caused an accident. I've been driving 12 years and have always driven a lot including in ridiculous weather -- blizzards, tropical storms, etc.

God your great arnt you? Give yourself a slap on the back......believe me nobody else will....of course you would say it was ridiculous weather....was prob a drizzle and you where doing 5 mph down the road with full headlights on and the fog lights on(want me to explain how to turn these on and off???)
    I'd love to see the Irish driving population see a real snow storm. ROTFL

Sorry but why you laughing? always sad to see a person laugh at there own jokes when they are crap
    My car has almost no marks, and those that are there (I've counted 5) were there when I purchased the vehicle. Many dealers have commented that it's a very "clean Micra".

First off....lol at saying that dealers say you have a clean car!! sure they will tell you anything to make out they are giving you at great deal...and of course you never made those marks....sure you never seen the car you hit so it couldnt have been you
    The fact that you honestly believe an entire nation of 296 million people "can't drive", and that half the population of the world are bad drivers (despite all evidence to the contrary!) pretty much paints your picture quite clearly though .

Awfully cocky for someone from a nation of unlicenced drivers.

First of all wtf are you talking about? you American? because this sounds like the sort of sh*t they come out wit? but then ur driving a Micra and I know that a Micra isnt sold in America so please explain!!! if you see my above comments I was taking the piss! but then again you are a woman so you cant see what is straight in front of you!!

Also again wtf about the unlicenced drivers??? ok there is alot of learner drivers on the road but everyone I know has full license so how are we a nation of unlicenced drivers????? if you are American which is sounds like do you have a full Irish license???

Again people please note the satire.....sorry but lost on this person

• Advertisement

No, I'm not American. Neither am I Irish. I have a full international licence. I am still waiting for a test in Ireland (great system guys!).

Interesting how you call being an ignorant pig, "satire". Is that the Irish meaning of the word?

I guess you'll tell me how I bought my car from "many dealers" too. Perhaps this is another Irish facility I am unaware of.

And why do you hate women so much? Did your mammy treat you bad?

Advertisement