Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it about Metal?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

FFS = For ****'s Sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

ahhh, thank ya....how about AFAIK?

Edit: Wait! Don't tell me! 'And For All I Know', right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Close, as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

FNAR :v:

Cool. Well, I think that WIKI article straightened us all out pretty well, don't you? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

I love Manowar but I can't imagine a time when people took their lyrics seriously. Perhaps they've always been considered toungue in cheek? For one thing the band themselves seem to take themselves perfectly seriously, fur underpants and all!

Then again I also love and take seriously Within Temptation and all their songs are about ice queens and earth mothers and the Goddess and all that, which is just as silly as dragons and demons in some people's view I'm sure. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Will_illfate

Why all the skulls, demons etc? because it's fun. Nothing more, nothing less. In the same way as Tim Burton likes to use Gothic Images in his films, Quentin Tarrantino puts over the top violence in his....

It's not right or wholesome (or serious) but it puts a smile on your face. Rammstein are one of my favourite bands at the minute not because they're songs are affecting or I identify with them but just because they're so hugely entertaining. Music's class too....

If something looks completely ridiculous ya can safely bet it's not being taken seriously by the fans, band or any one involved but is just there to add to the fun.

That's why I like KISS in their makeup period...they were like the first walking anime....years before Power Rangers! :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Steoob wrote:

i would call the first group goths and the second... well i cant think of a name..
    This is the best explanation i've heard so far. I would be in the second group, the big problem is most people think that if you like metal you have to wear black and go around shouting at your mam. When most people find out i like metal they are shocked because there is a picture that most people think "metallers" look like, .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

mc nuggets wrote:
    This is the best explanation i've heard so far. I would be in the second group, the big problem is most people think that if you like metal you have to wear black and go around shouting at your mam. When most people find out i like metal they are shocked because there is a picture that most people think "metallers" look like, .

You sound like you think people shouldnt be surprised when they find out you're a metaller, but your argument also implies you think everyone who wears black goes around shouting at their mam . . .

Peope are shocked because they think the way you do, they just dont listen to metal.

Anyway the skulls thing, when metal started out they were used, maybe because those bands were obsessed with skulls, maybe because their lyrics invoked skull like imagery, maybe to give a dark image, maybe because they were taking the piss. Anyhow because people who nowadays start metal bands are all metal fans they associate skulls and the like with one of the best things in their lives(favorite type of music) - so they're boud to use them for their own image.

• Advertisement
Advertisement