Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnotize

• 04-11-2005 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I read that thread below about system's upcoming album Hypnotize, and wasnt too happy about what some people were saying.

One or two people commented on the fact that they thought it was money hungry to release essentially a double disc album on 2 seperate dates.
    You say that like its some kinda flaw in the band and for some reason, whenever a band becomes 'all about the money', they start losing fans eg Metallica.
    But the fact of the matter is if you were in a top band, and you were offered a chance to make more money, you would, to a certain extent. Its as simple as that. Its human nature.
    But this argument is irrelevant anyway, because their motives mainly weren't money. Daaron practically wrote those 2 albums, and he felt that there was too much music between the 2 albums for anyone to appreciate at one time. Hence the 6 month gap between release dates.
    As a system fan, I salute that. Respect.

Also, what the hell is with people talking about some of the songs 'not being as heavy' as songs on previous albums?!
    It really gets my goat when people say this about a band!!
    So what if a song isn't heavy?! Why should it be? I really love music, mostly heavy rock etc, but not because its heavy and aggressive.
    Its because I reckon the music behind the heaviness is some of the best music around.
    So when system come out with a non-heavy song, I'd barely notice it. Its the musical genius and the lyrics that catch my attention!!
    Anyone that likes a band just because they're heavy...has the musical IQ of a dead cat.

ITs only €20 anyway!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

When's this album out, if it ain't already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

20 euros to most of their fans is a big deal because most of the fans a poor college students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

But this argument is irrelevant anyway, because their motives mainly weren't money. Daaron practically wrote those 2 albums, and he felt that there was too much music between the 2 albums for anyone to appreciate at one time. Hence the 6 month gap between release dates.

So why dont they sell them for a tenner each?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Maccattack wrote:
    So why dont they sell them for a tenner each?
    Its not up to the band on how much to sell them for, I hate when people tarnish the good name of a band just because HMV/Virgin etc charge extortionate prices for albums.
    The reason for the two albums was to get out of their current contract deal not to capitalise on money gains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Its the musical genius and the lyrics that catch my attention!!

hence why i wrote my rant about the album been muck, their 3previous albums exibited creativity, innovative , strange, different, all in abundance, hypnotise is so bland and poorly consructed,ie all the strong stuff at the start, i reeks of money grabbing. im still a fan but a very disappointed and increasingly skeptical one. they havnt quite pulled a metallica on it but im getting worried

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

It think the album is out on the 20th or 21st of this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Besides, for some of the albums I've bought, €20 is nothing compared to the years of enjoyment I've had/will have from them.
    I paid nearly €30 quid in HMV for a Glassjaw album several moths ago, an have never once looked back.
    Off-topic: What the **** did they do the HMV on Grafton street?! The metal section has disappeared!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I read that thread below about system's upcoming album Hypnotize, and wasnt too happy about what some people were saying.

One or two people commented on the fact that they thought it was money hungry to release essentially a double disc album on 2 seperate dates.
    You say that like its some kinda flaw in the band and for some reason, whenever a band becomes 'all about the money', they start losing fans eg Metallica.
    But the fact of the matter is if you were in a top band, and you were offered a chance to make more money, you would, to a certain extent. Its as simple as that. Its human nature.

Also, what the hell is with people talking about some of the songs 'not being as heavy' as songs on previous albums?!
    It really gets my goat when people say this about a band!!
    So what if a song isn't heavy?! Why should it be? I really love music, mostly heavy rock etc, but not because its heavy and aggressive.
    Its because I reckon the music behind the heaviness is some of the best music around.
    So when system come out with a non-heavy song, I'd barely notice it. Its the musical genius and the lyrics that catch my attention!!
    Anyone that likes a band just because they're heavy...has the musical IQ of a dead cat.

ITs only €20 anyway!!

Damn straight.The whole thing, damn straight. I think the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I've heard Hypnotize, Holy Mountain and Kill Rock N' Roll, and it's gonna be a great album from what I can tell. also, another reason why Hypnotize and Mesmerize are seperated into 2 albums is because SOAD wanted to get of their record deal faster. (don't quote me on that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Double disc album? I'm not saying that it should have been double discs, I'm saying both disc, including the terrible 'filler' songs, could have fit on one disc.
    That to me is pathetic.

Why is it acceptable for them to release an album of tripe that is only thirty minutes long for twenty five euro?
    That's insulting to me...then to do it all again six months later and just expect fans to lap it up is just a slap in the face.

Then they have the cheek to moan about people downloading music.

P.S....will everybody stop rabbiting on about how they apparently did it to get off their record label because none of you can seem to post any proof and that stilldoesn't justify them screwing their fans like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

dimerocks wrote:
    20 euros to most of their fans is a big deal because most of the fans a poor college students.
    Exactly. Twenty euro is a fortune for me. I can only afford a CD once in a blue moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Really? Thats news to me. Remember, these are the guys who released a disc called "Steal This Album"

Can you prove that? I haven't seen them moan about downloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Tripe? Mezmorize is probably the only album i've bought this year where every single song on the album was nothing but 100% entertainment.
    Hypnotize will be just as good, and I'm counting the days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Black hole sun

Really? Thats news to me. Remember, these are the guys who released a disc called "Steal This Album"

Thats why its called "Steal This Album" because people downloaded most of the songs on it before it was released.

Yeah...which was released becasue everyone was downloading those unused songs

Ya know...to counter the fact that people were 'stealing' it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I found this on Blabbermouth.net

When they recorded Toxicity, they had about 30 or so songs done, and obviously only 14 made it on the album.

The rest of the songs had been circulating around the internet. Lots of people (including myself) already had them. At ozzfest '02, Darren said "Here's a song you guys all got off the internet!"

And what Darren has said in interviews, is that he doesn't care so much about people downloading them, but it's the fact that they're unmixed and really rought copies. So then they released the album with the songs mixed, some extra backup vocals, etc.

I'm amazed it only went platinum now based off the success they had at that point in time. I guess everyone did steel it ;-)

So apparently they were doing there fans a service. lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Mez rocked, especially Cigaro (had2be the bestest best)! I'll admit that I didn't like a few of the softer songs though, does anyone know what were looking foward 2 from Hypno?

chupacabra wrote:
    I found this on Blabbermouth.net

So apparently they were doing there fans a service. lol ;)

Doing us a service?....by releasing an album of songs that we already had or could have gotten for free?...(with some minor tweaks to them)

Songs that weren't good enough for Toxicity in the first place.

I'm not saying they're grubby or greedy or anything, I'm just saying they're losing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I paid nearly €30 quid in HMV for a Glassjaw album several moths ago, an have never once looked back.
    Off-topic: What the **** did they do the HMV on Grafton street?! The metal section has disappeared!
    first off you were ripped off. glassjaw albums are everywhere, normal prices!

and they put the metal section in the basement. i had to ask someone today :)

• Advertisement

then to do it all again six months later and just expect fans to lap it up is just a slap in the face.

I dont think the fans will mind. I dont, i mean if a band you like release an album your gonna want it and if you really like them you wont mind paying 25 euro for it.

they put the metal section in the basement. i had to ask someone today :)

Thanks for that, i was wondering aswell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah!!!!!
    Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Thanks for that I couldn't find it last time. And all this stuff about the songs on mezmerize not being heavy enough is bollox, who listens to music because it is "heavy" if you didn't like them just say it was crap, anyway most people like a bit of diversity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

ok they were just crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Oh right, cheers.

Well, at the time, this was the only place I could find that particular Glassjaw album. It was Worship & Tribute, and you actually don't see that in too many shops. Meh, it's great album, I'm not bothered. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Meh, it's great album, I'm not bothered. :v:
    true enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

All you people that didnt know where the metal section had gone,Why didnt you ask a member of staff?I was up there yesterday and was also confused but i asked on eof the staff members.

Dr.Poca wrote:
    I dont think the fans will mind. I dont, i mean if a band you like release an album your gonna want it and if you really like them you wont mind paying 25 euro for it.

I am/was a fan and it bothers me.

I don't mind waiting and paying for quality material.
    So long as it is quality.

• Advertisement

I just heard the album and IMO alot of it seems like filler tracks.Th only tracks that stood out from it for me were Hypnotize, Lonely Day and Soldier Side.

Advertisement