Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i learn PHP4 or PHP5?

Options
  • 04-11-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm just getting into PHP and have a book that uses PHP5. Do you think i should stick with PHP5 as it is beginning to get support with hosting companies now? I dont want to be learning PHP4 just as it is being replaced but at the same time i am having some problems e.g. i use oscommerce alot which uses php4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Learn PHP4. A lot of hosters still haven't upgraded to PHP5 as it's not really all that proven (and a lot of stuff won't work with it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I don't know much about PHP5, but presumably 99% of what you learn with PHP4 will be applicable to PHP5. When PHP5 becomes the de facto standard, it'll probably take all of 30 minutes to learn the differences between them and learn new functions, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I have to say ... learn 4 .... and work up ...

5 is just extra features ... ... ok its a bit more than that but if you're new to the language ... just stick with 4 ... read some books about 5 .. and you'll know where you're going ..

unless of course you know you're never going to have to go backwards ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sico wrote:
    I don't know much about PHP5, but presumably 99% of what you learn with PHP4 will be applicable to PHP5. When PHP5 becomes the de facto standard, it'll probably take all of 30 minutes to learn the differences between them and learn new functions, etc.
    It's actually possible to code for PHP4 now and still have your code work when switched to PHP5. Little things like using $_SERVER instead of $HTTP_SERVER_VARS. My development environment is PHP5, but the servers are PHP4, so from time to time, these things pop up, and they're handy to know.

Advertisement