Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6 problem

Options
  • 04-11-2005 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi all..

I have a 1987 Pug 205 GTI 1.6 but its developed a problem

It has abit of trouble starting but once it gets going it starts 'grunting' when ticking over and eventually it will cut out..

If its ticking over and I floor the throttle for a second the revs will come back down ( as expected ) but they'll go so low that it cuts out..

Anyone come accross this before ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Could be anything from faulty engine temp sensor to mass airflow sensor to blocked injectors to worn out spark plugs/HT leads and lots of other stuff. Does it happen at all engine temps or only when cold? Does it happen every time or only first thing in the morning? When was the car last serviced? It should be easy for a garage to find and fix though - might be as simple as tickover position adjuster loose (though not if the car is difficult to start). My money is on MAF sensor.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

it happens all the time..

i dunno when it was serviced last, its a rally car.. that garage cant source the problem either..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Could be fuel pump, plugs or running too rich or lean.

Could also need the timing reset.

Try ringing some of the rally outfitters for advice:

McBride Motorsport, Keady, Armagh - 048 37531328
    Montgomery Motorsport, Tyrone - 048 855 49851
    DMRR, Keady, Armagh - 048 37538633
    EARS, Cork - 022 42050

...to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Alternatively register on the following N.I. & Irish rallying forums & ask there. Some very knowledgeable rallying ppl.

http://www.worldrallying.info/forum/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Evo wrote:
    its a rally car...
    Is it still running with the injection system and has this been remapped? Is it possible the injector was junked in favour of carbs? What induction system has it got - standard filter or what and is this intact?

'c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Could be the spark plugs?

When you're driving, does the car sound really loud like a . Do you get a light on the dashboard when you startin to drive?

The catalytic converter could be another thing causin the problem. get it checked out.

Advertisement