Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise ruining my sleep!!!

Options
  • 04-11-2005 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Ok people,

I'm looking for some advice before I contact my management company.

For some reason unknown to me, there is a screaming kid (every morning) in the apartment above us.

It wakes us without fail.

There floorboards also make an incredible amount of noise.

My question to you is, can i actually complain about this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭pdunno

Wouldn't think so - landlord can hardly be held responsible for a kid screaming in another apartment. As for the floorboards, not too much you can do about that either.

Get some earplugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I had the same problem with screaming brats. I did complain, but the managment agent is a bit of a wet rag when it comes to sorting out problems. Anyway, the brat's grown up since and just makes noise all day, instead of just early in the morning.

Oh, and I'm a big fam of quality earplugs (the 'EAR' branded ones, to be precise).

As an afterthough... if the building is leasehold, there might be a clause in it about adequate floor covering (i.e. carpeting, sound deadening). If there is, the mgt agent might do something about the bad floors. On the otherhand, if it's an old building, then too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

paperclip wrote:

What do you suggest they do to the child to keep it quiet during these times give it sleeping Pills, euthanasia perhaps. Your suggestion is ........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

The only advise has to be move if you can. If you own get the place sound proofed. You can't kill the child and nobody would call it noise pollution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

What do you suggest they do to the child to keep it quiet during these times give it sleeping Pills, euthanasia perhaps. Your suggestion is ........

Carpet will dampen the sound, while wood flooring will only increase the flow of sound through the floors.
    Most apt complexes now have a no wooden floor clause.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I can't recommend the use of white noise enough. I had a lot of problems sleeping in an apartment because of neighbour noise. A crying baby above us, followed by the sounds of teletubbies or whatever to quite it. Warring knacker neighbours on the ground floor. The sound of doors slamming anytime anyone in the building left a room as every single door is on a spring.

Then the heat became unbearable at night and we got an aircooler. The hum of that blocked out every other sound. Obviously you still have to hear the cooler but as that is a constant sound you get used to it straight away and then you don't get interupted by sudden noises.

I am such a light sleeper but now my problems are solved. Now that I don't need the cooler I use a wave sound cd on a loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

You can't kill the child

Course you can, just fire a few rifle shots at your ceiling in the general direction that the whinging is coming from...... or you could go for plan B and move.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

iguana wrote:

I am such a light sleeper but now my problems are solved. Now that I don't need the cooler I use a wave sound cd on a loop.

As in sea waves or as in sound waves..ie ones to cancel out noise?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ok people,

I'm looking for some advice before I contact my management company.

For some reason unknown to me, there is a screaming kid (every morning) in the apartment above us.

It wakes us without fail.

There floorboards also make an incredible amount of noise.

My question to you is, can i actually complain about this.

Dude i have been thru something similar. Ur management company must regulate this neighbour. Ur entitled to complain direct to Mgmt comp without engaging ur neighbour. Document everything with the mgmt co. and where possible send ur complaints in writing. make times/dates/durations of the noise.

Its possible ur neighbour has wooden floors which are not permissable in most appartment complexs. Also raise this with the mgmt co. If u have no joy, refuse to pay ur management fee and get on to a good solicitor.

The downside tho is that u are expected to put up with a certain amount of noise being an appartment owner unofficially.

Short term, invest in ear plugs or as someone already suggested relaxation cds. Ur now tuned into the noise so ur mind is amplifying it.

Oh yeah u have another option, u can get some companies to soundproof ur walls. Its expensive but its amazing. A friend of mine got it done to her bedroom.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Keep the child awake half the night (try sounds at about 10,000 - 20,000 Hz, adults can't hear them but children can) and they won't wake until mid morning. :D

Honestly, invest in some €1 earplugs and have a chat with either the neighbour or the management.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How evil of you Victor. Its called 'White Noise Torture' I believe.

I believe that teenagers can hear sounds in the range around 15000-16000Hz but not babies...if thats any help . Babies top out at c. 12000Hz and their sensitivity improves until their mid teens after which it declines.

By 60 you will be deaf and you will hear nothing :D

Sponge Bob wrote:
    ...By 60 you will be deaf and you will hear nothing :D

Hah? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What?

Advertisement