Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband everywhere in dublin..

• 04-11-2005 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

... by the end of this year. Its almost done seemingly. Was speaking with one of the technicians on the road yesterday and informed me that no more areas are going live for Broadband until December when the whole of Dublin will be live!!! They were doing our appartment block yesterday....

... wothe waiting for?? dont know..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yeah got a letter in the door saying my esate would be upgraded by end of second week in december. must be feeling the squeese from all the new players. hope the improve their service offering. aint competition great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'm in D2 and talked to them last week. They said I wasn't upgraded and they had no idea if/when it would ever happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Oh thats great news Ive been waiting on these guys to come my way for ages now and my IBB contract is up in december good timing me thinks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ok if this is true then this can only be good news also for us outside of Dublin, if NTL really do manage to make every home in Dublin, Waterford and Galway NTL Broadband compatible then thats a massive slice of Eircom's market that NTL could have, surely this will properly scare Eircom and they will start offering us better packages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Odd

If the search facility was working you would find a thread saying almost the exact same thing from this time last year

Will believe it when I can actually use their service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I can only second that.

How many times have we heard NTL are finally going to do this? :rolleyes:

Lets hope its true but I seriously would not be making any long term decisions based on what they tell you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

gibo_ie wrote:
    ... by the end of this year. Its almost done seemingly. Was speaking with one of the technicians on the road yesterday and informed me that no more areas are going live for Broadband until December when the whole of Dublin will be live!!! They were doing our appartment block yesterday....

I wouldn't hold my breath, however it does sort of fit.

NTL and Chorus are expected to merge and rebrand as UPC around December. NTL are also supposed to launch a phone service over BB by the end of the year. When they rebrand as UPC I'm sure they will have a major national advertising campaign to promote the new brand. Being able to promote the triple play of BB and phone service to most UPC customers at the same time would be a great way to sell the new brand.

They could then promote the UPC brand as a triple play communications company rather then just a new name for a cable TV company. It makes a lot of sense.

If this fantasy of mine was to happen it would completely put the spooks on Eircom, UPC would pose the biggest and most resourceful threat they have ever faced, they would certainly be forced to increase speeds, drop prices and maybe even get into the IPTV business.

From reading on here, NTL have certainly been very busy over the last 12 months, upgrading a very large number of areas. I also hear Chorus is busy enabling their cable network for BB also, so there might be some truth to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I share the skepticism in earlier posts. It's almost exactly 6 years since my first phone call where I was promised broadband in "6 weeks". I've moved area a good few times in that timespan in each call I make every few months, it's always been the same "6 weeks" until the last 6 months or so, where they've just said that it was commercially sensitive info. The place I was in 6 years ago, stil can't get BB.

So, I'd love to see it, and it's entirely possible, but anything NTL Ireland tell me, I tend not to believe.

.cg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cgarvey wrote:
    I share the skepticism in earlier posts. It's almost exactly 6 years since my first phone call where I was promised broadband in "6 weeks". I've moved area a good few times in that timespan in each call I make every few months, it's always been the same "6 weeks" until the last 6 months or so, where they've just said that it was commercially sensitive info. The place I was in 6 years ago, stil can't get BB.

NTL CS staff have no idea what areas are being rolled out and have always been told to just say 6 weeks or 2 months. This is despite the fact that 6 years ago NTL stopped the rollout as they went bankrupt and only restarted the rollout 12 months ago.

In fairness it is supposed to be available in all of Galway and Waterford and many areas in Dublin (I've seen parts of D1, D6, D9, D12, D15, D16, D22, D24 all been mentioned here on boards). Having been told my a NTL person that my area wouldn't get BB for years, only three months after, I got 3Mb/s from NTL and I couldn't be happier now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭fightin snr

machalla wrote:

How many times have we heard NTL are finally going to do this? :rolleyes:
    guaranteed you never heard this from NTL directly........roll out of broadband to selected areas maybe.
    Unless you see either shiny new cabling put up accross your house, or a brand new fibre node appear overnight somewhere close to your property, I wouldn`t hold your breath.
    Some areas of Dublin are still in need of minor if not major overhauls of the network,those areas that could be switched on with minimal outlay have already been done.
    Providing the competition authority don`t throw a spanner in the works I`d wait untill the merger is finalised and proposals for next year are announced before getting excited..unless of course those shiny cables or big green boxes start to appear:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Pfff, I can't even get NTL digital ffs.

Brand new estate gone in across the road. No NTL cable laid. Most have SKY now from what I can see.

Don't get me wrong gibo, I'm sure the technician did tell you that, but "all" of Dublin I don't think so!

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Don't get me wrong gibo, I'm sure the technician did tell you that, but "all" of Dublin I don't think so!

ambrose :cool:

I am definately sceptical but thought id see how many others were in the same frame of mind as me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I've just this minute had a call from NTL. Broadband is now available in my area. Lower Ballyfermot i.e. Dublin10/Dublin20 border.

I'm in contract with BT until the end of January but I'll be straight over to NTL then. Me happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Pity NTL force you to take their TV service along with broadband. There's no way I'd give up my SKY+ and I don't think NTL have anything similar in the pipeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I'm in an area of dublin mentioned in this thread as having broadband, but i can't get it. What do people mean when they say " x place will be upgraded"? Does this simply mean changing the wires outside the house? Because they did that already here like 2 years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if they've forgotten they've done that.

Did people notice them changing the wires then 2 weeks later they are offered broadband? Is that how it works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Odd

If the search facility was working you would find a thread saying almost the exact same thing from this time last year

Will believe it when I can actually use their service
    My sentiments exactly. I called them over 7 months ago when I moved into my new appartment on Haddington Road (D4 area) and was told the service would be available in my area in 2 months time. I then called them back 3 months later and was told the exact same thing. I just rang them again 2 weeks ago, and was told they had no plans to upgrade the D4 area in the near future, so in fairness, who do you believe?! I've since got a 2 Mbps line with Clearwire, and am getting an excellent service since. NTL, gimme a break. I have their box installed in my place for the tv only, and that doesn't work properly. Can get only 6 of the 12 advertised channels. Have called them multiple times, and each time was told they'd come out and upgrade the connection. This of course has never happened. If ever I came across a shower of absolute ****es, then NTL would have to be it!!
    As echoed above, upgrades, don't hold your breath!!

Brand new estate gone in across the road. No NTL cable laid. Most have SKY now from what I can see.

Obviously only cabled areas, BTW the developers of estates sometimes don't leave NTL lay cable into the new estate, not necessarily NTL's fault.

Did people notice them changing the wires then 2 weeks later they are offered broadband? Is that how it works?

Sometimes the wires need to be changed, sometimes they don't. Having your wires changed is a good thing for the future as it will be high quality coax probably rated for 850MHz. However it doesn't necessarily mean you can get BB yet, they also need to lay fibre to your local node if it doesn't already have it, they need to do some magic at your locl node and at the CMTS on the head end.

Also you can get BB without them making any changes to the cable in your area. That was the case in my area, they just upgraded the local node. The funny thing was that 6 months prior a NTL engineer told me that it would be years before my area got cable BB, well it works great now, so you never really know when it will be ready in your area, you'll only know when NTL contact you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you can get the NTL digital TV, does that mean you can get the broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Monty Cantsin

If you can get the NTL digital TV, does that mean you can get the broadband?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Had them out to service my digital (it's better but not 100%). I asked the guy about broadband & he said I was already set up for it but they weren't offerring it in my area yet (my dad (2 miles away) has it. We're both D13.

To give some of the CS staff and the actual folks who work on the BB a break in NTL I can only say that in the past my enquiries with them didn't result in any lies on their part. In most cases they straight out told me they don't know where is going live and I would know as soon as they would.

Also one of the NTL folks on boards here rather helpfully told me that if I was waiting on NTL BB I would be better off going with some other provider as my area was not likely to happen anytime soon.

Still lets hope we get some results on this. Although we may just be replacing one monopoly (Eircon) with another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Aye, a lot of people have said that the BB tech support are worlds apart from the general CS team.

To recall one, of many, stories: On one of my regular "is BB available in my area yet" calls that I now make for fun, I started the conversation "Hi, I have digital TV in XYZ and was wondering if I can get your BB yet?", to which the reply was "Count yourself f***ing lucky you can even get Digital" (direct quote). He knew not of my area/account number/caller ID. Yes that's unusual (in any call centre), but I find it's typical of the attitude in NTL CS (bad language aside).

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mjmorrisroe

No, didgital TV and BB completely different. As for NTL having Dublin live in Dec, I'll belive it when I see it... Called last week, not available in D7...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I'm in D8 here on the S.C.R and was told that they dont do my area. Funny thing was, the woman didn't even see. As soon as I finished saying S.C.R she told me its not avilable. ah well. Also just had to get rid of a 2 week old IBB conneciton due to it being pants...

Now who else can I get with out having to get a phone line installed!

Metro or clearwire? Both wireless. If they cover your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

gibo_ie wrote:
    no more areas are going live for Broadband until December when the whole of Dublin will be live!!!
    Rang them up today and they said *maybe* i'd have it in Jan/ Feb.

Did they specify which year? :D

Advertisement