Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

watching tv progs on MP3 player

Options
  • 04-11-2005 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

3 weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about MP3 players, but read many posts here and got myself an early XMAS present by getting a iAudio X5.

So far so good (it does what it says on the tin). One thing that really interested me was someone saying that they would watch tv sitcoms while on the DART or whatever. How does someone actually go about doing that, is it available on the bet, or do you need to record from tv and encode for MP3 player.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

o you need to record from tv and encode for MP3 player.

I'd imagine so. You'll need to use a conversion program to watch videos on the X5 anyway so I can't imagine any way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

conorb56 wrote:
    3 weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about MP3 players, but read many posts here and got myself an early XMAS present by getting a iAudio X5.

So far so good (it does what it says on the tin). One thing that really interested me was someone saying that they would watch tv sitcoms while on the DART or whatever. How does someone actually go about doing that, is it available on the bet, or do you need to record from tv and encode for MP3 player.

Which one did you get???

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conorb56

Cowon iAudio X5L to be precise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

conorb56 wrote:
    How does someone actually go about doing that, is it available on the [n]et, or do you need to record from tv and encode for MP3 player.
    It says here that the player does 15fps video playback, which isn't going to be the best quality to be honest (television is generally 24fps iirc).

Aside from that it says that you can convert your video files into the necessary format (mp4) using 'JetAudio'.. which I assume is some software you got with the player (?).

Probably more hassle than it's worth to get shows from your TV to your computer, then converted and put on your player.. by the time all thats done you could have watched them all five times already.

Might be handy for small clips and the like you get off the 'net though.

Pretty sexy looking player all the same - and 35hour batter life!... I am quite jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I know with the iRiver H3XX series, there is software out there that will actually rip a whole DVD to the correct format to play on the H3XX. I'm sure there is similar software for the X5, if you want to look at your TV shows after you buy them on DVD this way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 conorb56

Since I have had more time to play with it, I can say that yes you can convert from digital video to the required format (eg camcorders). It's actually a pretty straight forward procedure.

Only thing is though is getting the source in a digital format.

Would be great to have a few episodes form the simpsons or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Have a look HERE

Has lots of good advice on converting video for X5

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

cormie wrote:
    I know with the iRiver H3XX series, there is software out there that will actually rip a whole DVD to the correct format to play on the H3XX. I'm sure there is similar software for the X5, if you want to look at your TV shows after you buy them on DVD this way?
    It's called iRiverter. I've been using it for months and it's really handy. I just downloaded the latest version and it has support for iAudio X5. (look at picture)

http://www.misticriver.net/ is very good for iRiver news and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Anything to liven up the trip into work, eh :D

Advertisement