Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newb Question

• 04-11-2005 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

I am lvl 17 Mage on Nordrassil server. I have attained this level solely by Questing...no grinding. At this stage I find that there are no quests available that I can complete until I lvl up a lvl or 2. Next Quest in Westfall is Deadmines and in Redrudge is the Shadow Gnolls.

Now the question.......

Do you have to occassionaly grind levels by just killing to get the XP. Is this an accepted part of the game? or can you just quest your way all the way to lvl 60.

Tnx,

Inqui

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I found a mixture of both was best, personally. ie pick up all the quests in an area, including all the "kill x amount of x species" ones, that way you'll do a bit of grinding, but at the end you still get XP for handing in the quest. Move around to different areas aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

I got most of my xp by questing and instances, i did hardly any grinding on the way to level 60. I play horde though, so I have no real idea where you should go to pick up more quests. Once i hit level 15 or so, grouping became much more necessary, soloing quests got much harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Have fun trying to quest to 60. You can quest & grind a bit until you hit about 35 or 40. After that, quickest way to level is to grind. Either way, grinding is an essential part of leveling up quickly. It's dull, repetitive but a fundemental part of the game. If you are 17, quest around Westfall until you hit about 21 or so. You can either go to the wetlands til you hit about 25 and then head over to Duskwood where you can safely grind until about 28 or 29 or just head straight to duskwood. It's entirely up to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

There's no rush to get to 60 though, the levelling process was a lot of fun for me. Save the grinding until you hit 60 and need cash :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spritey

I'm level 17 myself, but playing Horde. Now the thing is with my character, a Tauren, I started off in an area called Mulgore, exhausted the quest options there and then moved into The Barrens which is also where the Orcs and Trolls end up. But once things started getting a bit high for me there, I moved onto a place called Silverpine Forest which is the second sort of area for the Undead. There I found quests that were for a bit below my level (so maybe I should've come here sooner), but I'm still able to get XP off them and level up. Then I'll decide which way to go from there :)

So basically what I'm saying is try and get to a place that is around that level for a different race. There's bound to be a way :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

spritey there should be loads a quests in barrens to keep u there till 25, Not to mention the question line for wc so you can get the wingblade/crescent staff etc, don't forget to start hitting the instances when your high enough level, 19 is fine for both deadmines and wc and it's also nice xp a run.

When you get 25 horde side, move down to thousand needles or stone talon choice is yours. Not to familiar with alli side though. When you hit 26-28 exhaust Razorfen kraul.

when you hit 30 head to stv plenty there till you hit 36-38 then do scarlet monastery till 40, might want to head tanaris after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spritey

Nope I know but I didn't want to miss out on other quest elsewhere - I'm sort of doubling up if I do the lower quests whilst I still can hence more experience :) Plus it's nice to see more of the world, and there's loads more herbs out in Durotar and Silverpine!

I've got a couple of buddies, we're going to go to Wailing Caverns and also Ragefire Chasm before too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I recomend questing in ashenvale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Inquitus wrote:
    I am lvl 17 Mage on Nordrassil server. I have attained this level solely by Questing...no grinding. At this stage I find that there are no quests available that I can complete until I lvl up a lvl or 2. Next Quest in Westfall is Deadmines and in Redrudge is the Shadow Gnolls.
    Go to Loch Modan or more awkwardly to Ashenvale. You should be able to quest yourself up to low end Redridge or Deadmines there.
    Now the question.......

Do you have to occassionaly grind levels by just killing to get the XP. Is this an accepted part of the game? or can you just quest your way all the way to lvl 60.
    I never grinded at all getting my shammy to 60 nor have I getting my wickle mage to 35, I think the game is designed so it isn't neccesary. I think someone grinding mobs efficiently will level a good bit faster than someone running around the place and grabbing quests and generally having fun, I dunno how it can be enjoyable though. I've grinded through mobs at 60 to get essences or whatever for nice gear or to make money to pay back loans - being 300g in the hole to get my epic wasn't fun. :) It's a pain in the hole though not something I'd care to repeat.

Anyway avoid grinding at all if you can you'll have to do enough of it when you get to 60. Take your time reaching the level cap, in a lot of ways the leveling up part of the game is a good bit more fun than endgame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

spritey wrote:
    Plus it's nice to see more of the world, and there's loads more herbs out in Durotar and Silverpine!
    Hoard all you're swifthistle and AH it for silly money if you're on a high pop high level server. I made a little mage alt with alchemy and I am selling 5 swifthistle for 2g 50 on the AH to crazy rich level 60 Rogues. It's the greatest imbalance between the level of the item and the amount it'll sell for I've ever seen. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

sold 34 swiftthistle today on hauarush for 11g.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

im a lvl 50 rogue. its quite easy for me to level.

what i find is that quests generally get you started with a level, meaning the initial 15-20k can be quest xp but after that i generally grind until i have 10-20% of the level left then i grind mobs to level and make money to pay for new skills or gear. at level 17 you should have skiploads of quests to level you so dont worry about grinding. though maybe you could do the deadmines 3 or 4 times witha lvl 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

total noob here...
    what does grinding do..and what is grinding mobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Grinding is basically staying in the same general area killing mobs over and over to get xp and/or loot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

ah ok cool thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

At no time in wow are you forced to grind for xp. Its entirely possible and feasable to quest to lvl 60. Because grinding with a druid and a priest is not fun, i found it was far quicker to quest rather than grind to 60 with these 2 characters. When i rolled a mage i found grinding a bit easier with the addition of aoe and better burst dps, but i still think the xp boost from questing and the fact that quests are more interesting than purely grinding makes that route better.

Ignore the poster who says its not possible to get to 60 by questing. Ive done it twice and while it wasnt as quick as pure grind, it certainly wasnt as boring either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's highly possible to quest to 60, but very slow. Get an XP meter and compare questing to grinding after about 35. You'll see for yourself :)

But as Dustaz said - Grinding is not ideal for every class. I'm a rogue and superbly equipped for grinding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

dlofnep wrote:
    I'm a rogue and superbly equipped for grinding.

yarr rogues 4tw

:v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I have a 60 Hunter, 60 Warrior, 58 Paladin, 52 Priest. I've never grinded with any of them as they've leveled up - it's easy to quest to 60 and it's getting easier all the time as Blizzard introduce new quests. You can get to 60 in this way in 12-13 days /played and it's fun. :)

To the OP: at 17 you can complete all of the Loch Modan quests, that will get you up to level 20 at least then you can do Deadmines and Redridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

lvl 21 now.

Managed to get Van Cleef in DM with a good 18+ Grp, and 1 24 Tank.

Currently in Loch Modan killing Ogres.

Have a shed load of quests including 4 instances - Gnomerangen, Stockade and others. Waiting to lvl up to 23+ to take them on. Still have 2/5 DM Quests to complete so will prob head back to Westfall soon.

Inqui

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

dlofnep wrote:
    It's highly possible to quest to 60, but very slow. Get an XP meter and compare questing to grinding after about 35. You'll see for yourself :).

Id disagree with that. My /played to 60 doesnt vary wildly with everyone else in my guild and its lower than a good few of them. The REALLY low 60 /played times come from mages who were able to aoe grind in mara and DM before they were fixed. Not doing anything with professions also cuts down a LOT of time as well. might be a good idea to post /played times to see what the actual difference is, id be interested:) (ill post when i get home)

Mine's 26 days 13 hours on my 60 priest...

afaik it was 20days to 60. Fkn priests :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

14days to 60 before they introduced the 5 instances per hour limit

cheating bast

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i was 13 days to lvl52, but then i had to stop :(

GAH!!!! i wanna play again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

15 days to 52 for a Warlock.
    Practically all through questing, with the occasional hour spent grinding.

Advertisement