Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - never far from view.

Options
  • 24-09-2001 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I know this may be a little off topic, but I am amazed at the number of sponsorship deals Eircom have going on at the moment, I can't imagine how they think they will ever fall from our minds!! . Am I right in thinking that they are sponsoring the following,

Eircom League of Ireland
    Irish Soccer Team
    Dublin Chamber of Commerce
    The weather on RTE news.

Can anyone think of more?

They are also spending gazillions on full page adds for share returns, and the i-stream products in the broadsheets almost daily. They have huge billboards for the "Use your mouse..." campaign, and to top it all they have taken banner adds all over the shop online!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

eircom.net are the "patron" of the irish internet association.

Whatever that means...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

--

This is just a small example - There's loads more... just do a search on "eircom sponsor" - it's amazing what you find on Google sometimes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Arent they nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I did the search Niall.
    It really astounded me. I mean you dont exactly have to venture too far to see their name eveywhere around the country anyway.

BTW,
    According to John Sloman's "Economics-3rd Edition", listed as one of the advantages of a monopoly.....

"REDUCED COSTS OF ADVERTISING" :confused:

Well €ircoN, You Could have fooled me;)
    But then again they dont do anything in the conventional way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

what are Eircom at?

they are spending all this cash pushing ADSL and they know they will be forced by the ODTR to drop their prices and so they will withdraw DSL.
    so they are spending money on advertising a system to consumers that they will never offer, that will go down well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

tsk tsk, and do we think they will get any better?

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

so they are spending money on advertising a system to consumers that they will never offer, that will go down well.

Just a thought, but do us poor fools who are still shareholders have the right to request from eircom any information that has not been made public to date before they take our shares off us ?

eg advertising spend in the year to sept 01

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by chernobyl
    what are Eircom at?

they are spending all this cash pushing ADSL and they know they will be forced by the ODTR to drop their prices and so they will withdraw DSL.

Sit back and think about what you're saying for a minute chernobyl. How much are they really spending on advertising i-Scream? I was going to say "on the grand scale", but even that would be an exaggeration. On the grand scale, they've spent nothing...

They did a "website" - They use a Content Management System, very little effort involved.

They did a few graphics and a bit of Flash - You can be sure they kept a few of the more clever people back from all those meeja companies they destroyed.

And that's it. Did they do any actual advertising for it? I haven't seen any, but I've been away. Even if they did though, I imagine it's a tiny portion of their annual marketing spend.

Nah, it's all fluff, it's all fake.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

all the website banners, the full pages in the times and those huge bill boards.
    id say they are throwing lots of "G" at i-$scream every day.

I've seen little or no "real world" advertising - i.e.: TV ads, etc. - although - to be perfectly honest - I DID see ONE newspaper advert today - a pathetically badly worded ad featuring their mutant mouse character.

Most of their ADSL promotion seems to have been through the net itself - which, I believe, is fair enough. Most of those for whom the letters "A"..."D"..."S"...and..."L"... (and in that sequence!) will make sense will already be net 'savvy' and already be using the Internet (and betting on/hoping for better speeds/service being forthcoming!).

The product is a step in the right direction.

The price is not.

If they've been watching this board, they'll know that we've been campaigning for the actual INTRODUCTION OF THE PRODUCT first, saying we'd worry about the price later. Little did we know what an exhorbitant price they'd demand...

Be assured, - as far as I'm concerned AT LEAST... the battle is FAR from over.

As for the topic - Eircom NEED this sponsorship - it keeps them properly in public view and it keeps their name on the tongues of enough people to keep them raking in an unwarranted amount of moolah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Bard

As for the topic - Eircom NEED this sponsorship - it keeps them properly in public view and it keeps their name on the tongues of enough people to keep them raking in an unwarranted amount of moolah.
    It also appeals to the parish pump politicians and helps prevent anti-monopoly legislation from being enacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by SkepticOne

It also appeals to the parish pump politicians and helps prevent anti-monopoly legislation from being enacted.

Ah, now there's the thing. You may be skeptical but you're not wrong.

is anyone else getting really sick of that friggin mouse all over the times, the register etc etc... ?

YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭smokin' an'chewin' man

Originally posted by 80project.com
    80p.
    "WAR is not a solution. Its just a macho head game where ppl get Killed."
    Say NO to USA Retaliatory Strikes.

I thought this sicko **** was going to be banned on this baord ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by chernobyl
    what are Eircom at?

Eircom are doing one of 3 things.

1) They're COMPLETELY stoned AND stupid to boot

or

2)They're hoping that they can get some poor hapless idiot to sign up before the ODTR pulls their "competitive" deal. But those signed up will be obligated by the 12 month contract.

or

3) They're hoping ordinary joe-bloggs will turn on the ODTR without asking why the service was withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by smokin' an'chewin' man

Naw, think you've got the wrong guy there. 80p is the guy who went on the Pat Kenny show when the Esat letter erupted. Never noticed anything untoward from him on the board

(personally I don't agree with potentially bombing innocents on either side either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I think you are taking this out of context "Smokin".
    Wots the problem ?
    Frankly this isn't the place to discuss (ie. Thread about €ircoN)
    so keep it OT, PM. or Mail me if you want to clarify yourself:)

Well you were wrong to think so.

There's nothing "sicko" about 80project's signature and I'm certainly not banning it from this board. What HAS been discouraged is the posting of off-topic remarks, mainly about the WTC tragedy. We had ONE thread about the tragedy on this board and it was ONLY for the purposes of conveying our condolences. 80project's sig' does not make a joke of the events in New York & Washington - rather, it expresses an opinion about potential armed conflict.

As 80p said, this isn't the place to discuss this. If you have a problem with his signature, send him or a relevant moderator or adminstrator a message about it. Personally, I don't see a major problem with it.

Now this is an interesting thread - let's keep it on-topic please.

--

Another thing that Eircom are doing to improve their image and increase their PR is re-selling Sky Digital.

Advertisement