Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game RIPOFF - call of duty 2 THEFT!!!

Options
  • 04-11-2005 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

I was just in Game blanchardstown and they have Call of Duty priced at 69.00euro for the standard package and 79.00euro for the Collectors edition!!

What utter theft!

Collectors edition DVD vailable at cdwow.ie for 40.99euro!

MY GOD - what a markup! I've been eager to get my mitts on this game, but I walked right out of the shop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Are you sure? Call of Duty 2 standard edition is £32 on Game's website (which is roughly 50 euros)

Games are generally cheaper in Smyths anyway, go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

You'd be a fool to pay that much for a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Game liffey valley its 55 didnt notice a collectors edition.

Its worth 30 maybe 35 at a push for MP.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I walked into Gamestop in Carlow last weekend to see Football Manager 2006 for the PC for €60.. for a PC game!!!!

All the high street retailers are rubbing their hands with glee now as the market leaders in Videogames (well consoles anwyay, the main market) Microsoft & Sony have said that game prices are on the rise, so that in effect is carte blanche for the retailers to practically make up any mark up profit they see fit.

Buy your games online like I do anyway, in some cases it works out at half the price, use Play.com/cdwow.com (better selection than cdwow.ie.. see for yourself!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The reason may be why Call of Duty 2 is 69.99 euros is because it is also an Xbox 360 release title, and as you know xbox 360 games are going to be 70 euro each so any xbox 360 game that will be on the PC ( Probably Elder Scrolls Oblivion :( ) will be priced the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Sure we all know GAME are a ripoff at this stage.
    €50 for used GC games (Metroid Prime2, 1080 Avalanche, Resi 4, Zelda Four Swords) when the brand new ones are retailing at €55 in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

:confused: I was in there this evening and it was €55 for the standard version and €60 for the collectors edition.

Anybody wanna give me a ranking outta 10? If its anything like the first i would imagine it'll be a hit, but i'd like to here some tried and tested opinions first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

delly wrote:
    :confused: I was in there this evening and it was €55 for the standard version and €60 for the collectors edition.

Anybody wanna give me a ranking outta 10? If its anything like the first i would imagine it'll be a hit, but i'd like to here some tried and tested opinions first.

I'm telling ya - Both editions were marked as 70euro & 80euro at 2o'clock friday - unless the entire wall was marked wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

it's priced "normally" in xtravision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

CivIV was €59.99 in Game on Friday, got it in Smyths for €35.99.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I guess the leson here is to shop around, point out high prices on threads like this.
    The only fool would be the one who buys a game for such a high price without checking out what other places are charging.
    Unfortunately most people who use boards are also savvy with internet shopping and already know where to get the best bargins in games, so one is really preaching to the converted.
    As for overpriced Nintendo games, I think their pricing structure is archaic at the best of times, not to mention the whole demand and supply thingy, hence high 2nd hand prices, although the hardware is as cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Its called capitalism. They'll charge what the market can support.
    Though somehow I doubt the market can support 70-80 Euro!
    I reckon its an experiment in pricing. Just make sure you kick the crap out of anyone you see trying to buy at that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I thought all these high prices were because of piracy , yet now we have better copyright protection than we ever had and the prices keep going up .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'd say that they may have changed it between the time i and you were there. Anyhow i got in in Smyths for €45 using the loyalty card. Got Civ IV in HMV for €35 and along with GTA for the PSP, i'm going to be very busy for the next few weeks :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Why would piracy directly cause the price to go up year on year?
    Its opportunism. The young male market in Ireland has money to spend. I bet it doesnt bloody cost 70-80 euro in Malaysia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jonski wrote:
    I thought all these high prices were because of piracy , yet now we have better copyright protection than we ever had and the prices keep going up .

There has always been piracy and the publishers are idiots to try and make us think that piracy is worse than it ever was. In fact developers and publishers could save themselves an awful amount of money if they didn't use any copyright protection from third parties. The fact of the matter is that a game will be cracked. It's just a case of the length of time it will take which is usually a matter of hours and at the most a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I dont think it was ever cos of piracy. Its the usual excuse to push up prices.

I already said i would refuse to pay 65+ for a game which basically means im steering clear of the xbox360 till they drop the price for games (or i become a millionaire).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Gameplay times are getting shorter and shorter while prices are getting higher and higher. Something has to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Markup on games will come down dont worry. Studies show game purchases are falling due to the increase in torrents. Basically you can download games for free of the internet, major downloads this month are star wars battlefront 2, quake4,fear and football manager. Prices wil lcome down.

But do yourself a favour and dont buy in irish shops because of irelands rip off prices, buy of play.com,cdwow or ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There was outroar when we say ps2 and xbox games for 59 and 60 euro. Now i mseeing FM06 for 70 euro, quake 4 80 euro, guys jsut dont pay it or your fools, people pay it, so they keep selling it. Unforutnatly im a hypocryt cause i recently got employed by game. But ill definatly drop them a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

There was outroar when we say ps2 and xbox games for 59 and 60 euro. Now i mseeing FM06 for 70 euro, quake 4 80 euro, guys jsut dont pay it or your fools, people pay it, so they keep selling it. Unforutnatly im a hypocryt cause i recently got employed by game. But ill definatly drop them a line.

Would Major retailers like Game, Symths etc be ENGLISH / FOREIGN companies?! The management of these companies are liable... I wouldn't send a message DON'T BUY in the highstreet... There's a games shop in Santry Omni that's usually 10 - 20 euro cheeper than Game.

As a nation we're getting ripped off on EVERY LEVEL compared to European counterparts - Just get in a taxi, go for a few pints, have a meal and catch a late movie - A bankrupting experience.

I'm still sticking to my guns with my origional post - Game WERE selling COD2 for 70 & 80 euro for both editions.

Whats the name of that Irish site that 'outs' ripp-off retailers / services?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

CivIV was €59.99 in Game on Friday, got it in Smyths for €35.99.

I saw that too, picked it up in HMV for €34.99, SO glad I called in there, cause I was going to spend the GAME price

GAME is a rip off though, and the prices of the used games is just a joke, like someone said €49 for something like Metroid Prime 2 with a new version of the game sitting beside it for €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just buy online instead of the High Street. I know not everyone has this option and hardware is a problem. I was in GAME the other day looking for a Nintendogs bundle and they were charging 10 euro more then everyone else for one reason. Sure their customer care on Henry st is joke.

Come back within a day with something faulty and they have a security guard telling you its not. WTF, how would he know, he couldn't turn the fookin thing on. I'll never shop in Henry st again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yeah **** Game, they now have what amounts to a total monopoly in the Irish market and are acting accordingly.

Those new prepaid credit cards that anyone can use are out, so I suggest people start using them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

OT: But anyone know the minimum specs for this game?

Advertisement