Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSP nightmare - any advice?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

In fairness to all; the contract is with the retailer, not Sony, so that's where the obligation is. It extends further than 7 days as previously posted; the Sale of Goods Act states ' a reasonable period of time', which in case law over white goods has come to be accepted as at least 3 months. However, the issue really seems to revolve around 'merchantable quality', and again as above the consumer may find that their idea of merchantable (ie how many dead pixels are acceptable) are different from the retailer. The retailer will base their decision (and it is their decision) usually on industry standards as advised by the manufacturer - it would be up to a court to decide whether or not those standards are 'reasonable', but certainly from Circuit Court up they're going to lean towards the industry standard.

At the end of the day I'm inclined to agree with some of what TheDoc says - be nice, you've far more chance of getting what you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

hi
    i purchased a psp (one of the last in the city it seems as well) from a large store in dublin city last weekend. when i got home i found that there were approx 20 small white dots across the display like stardust.

i went straight back with it and i was told by the shops manager that the problem is dead pixels and they dont offer refunds or exchanges - sony want to deal with all cases of dead pixels themselves.

they gave a number to ring - the psp uk careline number (dialling the irish careline just puts you through to the english one).
    i rang this careline and they told me that as im in ireland that cant arrange an exchange it has to be escalated to sony ireland.

no word from sony ireland so i logged another call with the uk psp hotline a few days ago. i was told the same. escalate to sony ireland etc.
    still no word.

basically i need to know has anybody had similar experiences with their psp and how do i proceed or how was it resolved
    thanks

Within 30 days of purchase you are entitled by law to a refund or replacement, do not leave the shop until you get one or the other it is law and that manager is passing the buck. Stand up and you will win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

smokingman wrote:
    Being a DS owner, I have to ask - "What's a dead pixel?"

:D

...and before you fanboys jump down my witty throat, I got a PSP but sold it after a few weeks, just ended up as a paperweight due to crap games or games I appreciate more on a big screen.

Unlit pixels on the screen.
    http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html
    I have both a DS and PSP as well and it's the DS that has the Dead Pixels. It doesn't bother me as there are only 2 on the bottom corner of the top screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I love the like great fight the power vibe going on here.

Most managers are required to know consumer laws for their jobs and hence why they are sent on trianing courses and tested to make sure they do. So a manager does know more bout the law then the average joe soap walking into the store =/

I was in HMV yesterday and witnessed two cusomters complaining to the manager......he told them that he teseted their machine and it ran fine, the dead pixel problem does not warrant a refund, if they wish to take further action they must ocntact sony ireland our hmv head office for complaints.

now that manager was very rash and rude and a fight erupted in the store, was funny but does show that managers can be cause of the problem too. But was funny to watch =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

woody wrote:
    Within 30 days of purchase you are entitled by law to a refund or replacement, do not leave the shop until you get one or the other it is law and that manager is passing the buck. Stand up and you will win

.. if it's faulty, or not of merchantable quality etc. I suspect the correct course would be leave and go to Small Claims.. being kicked out of a shop by a security guard for causing a ruckus seems an overly ignominious way of proving your point..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

with faulty hardware have done it themselves aka dropped it,mis treated,

Just to make it clear, I'm not suggesting that selling faulty goods part of the Sale of Goods Act applies when it's the consumers' fault.
    couldnt install properly or have run over there 7 day return.

"couldnt install properly" - depends who’s at fault. And the seven-day thing would not applied if it was a faulty at the time of the retailer handed it to the consumer, of if a ‘manufacturing fault’ appeared afterwards (ie dead pixels (NOTE…) past industry acceptable amounts)

You know 98% of PC games sold are perfect working order, just people cant grasp the whole concept that " its your pc is **** and it wont work on it" Installing problems for pc games are all the consumers fault period. And even at the checkout you are clearly asked have you looked at the specifications.

I'm in no way defending shops or anything, im not a spokesman for retailers. But I do get annoyed when i hear the rubbish posted here by total remos in my opinion about ways to swindle people. Like the guy on a thread above saying how he returned his psp tp tesco with a dead pixel problem, and stole the 1gb card out of it, so he now has two...... And then people congrautale him.....he stole, aganst the law, common scum and thief in my opnion, too poor to afford one?

Sick of the immature crap on this place =/ And big headed kids with smad egos thinking they know everything........clearly not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Homo... I'm going to get banned if I don't add content so I should point out that,

Your post is massively off topic and what should be under more question is what people define as merchantible quality. Many will argue that for watching films even 2 dead pixels drop it out of that line.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You know 98% of PC games sold are perfect working order, just people cant grasp the whole concept that " its your pc is **** and it wont work on it" Installing problems for pc games are all the consumers fault period. And even at the checkout you are clearly asked have you looked at the specifications.

I'm in no way defending shops or anything, im not a spokesman for retailers. But I do get annoyed when i hear the rubbish posted here by total remos in my opinion about ways to swindle people. Like the guy on a thread above saying how he returned his psp tp tesco with a dead pixel problem, and stole the 1gb card out of it, so he now has two...... And then people congrautale him.....he stole, aganst the law, common scum and thief in my opnion, too poor to afford one?

Sick of the immature crap on this place =/ And big headed kids with smad egos thinking they know everything........clearly not

I’m totally with you/retailers with stuff like that.

Cabelo wrote:
    Homo... I'm going to get banned if I don't add content so I should point out that

banned

• Advertisement

Yeah the topic kinda has drifted into a retailer rife =D But then it did spawn from someone asking could they get a refund on their psp, then someone saying basically to be a swine in the shop till they refund you =D

So I actually think we are on topic, and we should sticky this for future people wishing to reutrn faulty goods, since we just did discuss irelands consumers laws.

GJ guys =P

Advertisement