Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Plasma- What DVD?

Options
  • 04-11-2005 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Right then.

So I've just brought my 42" Plasma (Yippee!) :D and after spending hours fixing into position, wiring up surround sound and moving all the furniture round.
    Tonight is movie night. Going to grab a couple of beers, snacks, and chill out with the wife and watch a film or 2.

Question is what film????:confused:

I want something that is going to show of the Plasma screen and throw sounds around the room thru the surround S . (prove to wife it as worth spending all the Euros)

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Oh Jesus this is a toughie!!

Really depends on your taste!

For showing off the picture:

Cartoons:
    Shrek 2
    Incredibles
    Finding Nemo

Films:
    House of Flying Daggers
    Starwars Episode 3
    Batman Begins

But for showing off both sound and vision and if the wife is up to it:
    Gladiator
    Lord of the Rings Two Towers and Return of the King
    Saving Private Ryan
    Master and Commander
    Heat
    Kill Bill Vol 1

........this is embarrassing, but one of the the best films I have seen on my plasma (just ordinary film mind you) was Intolerably Cruelty. A crap film and a really chic flick, but the picture was absolutely stunning to be honest.

Check here for some really good reviews of DVD's

http://www.avforums.com/dvd/

Turn off the lights, sit back and enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Thanks for the info. A few great choices there.

We have Gladiator at home. Its one of the only ones we own, as we tend to rent them. So we may sit and watch that, as its a great film. Apart from the ending- Americans!!!

House of the flying daggers. I saw that a while ago and it blew me away. That would look dam good.

Roll on 5:30

I'll keep the chick flick as ammunition for brownie points one night, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

2nd matrix film (can't remember what it was called) had lots of visual spleandour in it.

Enjoy the new goggle box. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I'd go with:

Titan AE (cartoon with some stuning SFX in it)
    Kill Bill Vol I & II I would say would look and sound great
    Amityville Horror (not a fav of everyone but I liked it, had my GF at the time scared senseless ;) )
    Oh and ofcourse Crouching tiger hidden dragon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Definitely Master and Commander for all round effects. Watched it again last night.

Saving Private Ryan is another excellent choice.

Best of lcuk with the TV.

• Advertisement

went with Gladiator in the end.

Happy days. The surround sound I've had for a few years, but with the Plasma s as well, it was amazing. Really, Really pleased with it.

Felt like being at the cinema. Just with out the rip off popcorn and drinks costs!!

Thanks for advise on films. Have a list to work thru now..

Pip

went with Gladiator in the end.

Happy days. The surround sound I've had for a few years, but with the Plasma s as well, it was amazing. Really, Really pleased with it.

Felt like being at the cinema. Just with out the rip off popcorn and drinks costs!!

Thanks for advise on films. Have a list to work thru now..

Pip

Advertisement