Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

downgrading from XP to W98 surface scan issue

• 04-11-2005 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Ok before I start Im downgrading to 98 as my old laptop will run much faster on 98 XP slows it right down (64mb of ram)

OK got so far with this downgrade but im having issues with the surface scan

"Some data is stored in a damaged area of drive C, and might already be lost, This problem is probably causing data errors. To see which files are effected by the damage, choose More Info."

Choose fix it to have scandisk move the affected data to an undamaged area of drive C. Scandisk will then mark the damaged area to prevent it from being used to store data in the future"

fair enough see surface scan 2.jpg

The issue is the scandisk is only fixing 1 cluster at a time so at this time im at 2526 clusters fixed (pressing the space bar this much is really fooking me off)

Is there a quicker / easier way to fix this problem.

Any help will be much appriciated

Cheers Declan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Try booting off the 98 CD and running scandisk with the /autofix switch (ie: scandisk /autofix at the command prompt while you're in the folder that contains the exe), shouldn't prompt you then. (or if that doesn't work, try running it with the /? switch, which should tell you what the option is to auto repair clusters)
    I can't remember if you can run scandisk manually off the CD, but check the win98 folder on the CD drive, and check the ramdrive (A:\ or B:\) the CD sets up, as it's probably on that.

Although the last time I used the 98CD for something like this, it was missing some essential tool I needed, something like attrib or sys... I couldn't believe it wasn't there :(

Did you reformat this drive before the '98 install btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

AFAIK the disk was reformated, I have tried running manually of the CD and it took me to this hellish place

The who in the what now?
    Did you boot to the command prompt with the CD?
    Like when you choose the 'Start with CD ROM support' option (ie. not 'setup')
    You should get to C:\> _ or similar.
    I'm not 100% clear on where you're at with this.

yes i booted from the command prompt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try booting off the 98 CD and running scandisk with the /autofix switch (ie: scandisk /autofix at the command prompt
    Boot up from the 98 CD and into a command pompt only

scandisk /all /surface /autofix

if the drive is making funny noises then not good

if you have already formatted then take a step backwards - use FDISK to delete all partitions on the disk and reboot and fdisk to make a partition and then fromat it and then install

• Advertisement

I have restarted the laptop now and it will only go to a cmd prompt
    i have tried to install 98 now from the cmd prompt but it wont change to the correct drive (d:) for the installation

Yeah you won't have CDROM support in DOS unless you load something like mscdex, I don't remeber which one the '98 cd uses, but if you're booting off the CD properly, then you should have the option to boot to a command prompt with CD support enabled... from there you should be able to access the D: drive, as well as the ramdrive (A: or B:) which has a lot of DOS utils on it.

Advertisement