Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web radio

Options
  • 24-09-2001 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

what is involved in broadcasting via the web?

just the technical side of things... no leegul

j

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

You would need to be paying for good hosting that will let you run a daemon for this, or own your own server.

I'll stick to a unix-based solution, since that's all I have experience with. You'd use something like IceCast (www.icecast.org), that's the streaming-audio server, that listens on port 8000 usually, and is what talks to all the listeners. Then, to provide the audio stream to icecast, you need another app that either takes input from a mic/etc, encodes on the fly and sends to the icecast server, or one that just grabs mp3s and sends them to the icecast server. "shout" does the latter, and the icecast site will list other apps for dj-ing.

For windows, I think the basics are the same, but there's an app called ShoutCast that does what IceCast does, but I doubt it's free. Open-source rules. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

[edit]Damn. nevermind me... *grumble*[/edit]

Advertisement