Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SpikeTV Game "Awards"

Options
  • 04-11-2005 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/9372B971-8A82-4C33-B7BD-46875BB98288.htm

Hahaha

They nominate the 50cent game for like umpteen-thousand awards, despite the fact it's not even out yet and will probably be a pile of cack (imho).

I had to laugh at this:

2003 SpikeTV game awards
    Best Game Based on a Movie
    Enter the Matrix (Atari) (!!!!!)

Best PC Game
    Halo: Combat Evolved (Microsoft)

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this thread, but the nominations and idea of these awards made me giggle.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love how games that aren't even released or have been out a week have been nominated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

some are decent and should be there and some are Rofltastic
    "Cyber Vixen of the year" - oh ffs.....
    that king kong game is barely out yet seems to be favoured for some reason
    haha, fifa aint there but pro-evo/winning eleven is :D
    "Best performance by a human" - ??? wtf?
    WAT THE HELL!!! "Best supporting male performance" - taking the p*ss

Natasha Bedingfield is up for an award for a computer game!!!??? this is making less sense the more i read....
    Best Original Song - Maybe We Crazy by 50 cent.... bet it is fantastic and way better then any music that has come out in any computer game in the past year, i mean the music in VJ2 is cack in comparison to the genius that is 50 cent........ Maybe We Crazy?? that makes no sense even in the title alone
    was that fantastic four game actually ne good btw?? seems to be up for plenty of awards.... oh wait, they dont seem to mean anything
    Best original Score - Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft Game Studios), is this even out yet??
    loltastic... MOST ADDICTIVE GAME FUELED BY MOUNTAIN DEW, it got sponsored.... ffs
    BEST FIRST PERSON ACTION - Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft Games Studio), again WTF? is it out?
    BEST RPG - X-Men Legends II: Rise of the Apocalypse (Activision, Inc.), emmmmm?

overall just seems like another reason for some nonce celebrities to glamourise themselves with awards and looking usefull. This annoys me when it comes to the things that celebs actually do (such as the MTV awards last nite)... the fact that they are doing it with games just annoys me more so....
    it also appears to be a platform just designed to hype upcoming games and consoles (Perfect Dark being the prime suspect)... but thats obvious

overall - Big stinking pile of you know what

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

koneko wrote:
    2003 SpikeTV game awards
    Best Game Based on a Movie
    Enter the Matrix (Atari) (!!!!!)
    You know, that probably was the best game based on a movie in 2003.

Depressing stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's actually path of neo. Which depressingly isn't even out yet.

What is even more depressing is the complete lack of Shadow of the Colossus in any of the lists. It is definitely one of the best 3 games out this year if not the whole year. And it's absence from the original soundtrack list is a crime. Anyone who has heard it will agree it is the best soundtrack in a game in a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

ObeyGiant wrote:
    You know, that probably was the best game based on a movie in 2003.

Depressing stuff.

I'm pretty sure there were more movies turned into games that year, Enter The Matrix cannot possibly be the best, it was a woeful woeful game, *anything* would beat it.

• Advertisement

From 2003:

Best Game Based on Movie

* Enter the Matrix (Atari)
    * The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (EA Games)
    * Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (LucasArts)

Now, I'm gonna go out on a bit of a limb here and say that, as bad as Enter the Matrix was.. Return of the King was maybe even worse. And I'm gonna go out on an even bigger limb and say that I really didn't like KOTOR - I have yet to enjoy any turn-based combat game that isn't on my GBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Woah woah woah.
    A) I don't see why KOTOR is on the list, it's not based on a movie. It's in the franchise, sure, but there's no KOTOR movie, and
    B) You didn't like it? :( What's not to like? :(
    I thought it was brilliant, but even for people that didn't like it, it surely could not be as bad as Enter The Matrix.

The ROTK game was pants, but it's no Enter The Matrix. I don't think words can express how much I hate Enter The Matrix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

what a steaming crock of ****e:p

i reckon it's about time for the boards.ie Game Awards 2005 to get under way...

koneko wrote:
    Woah woah woah.
    A) I don't see why KOTOR is on the list, it's not based on a movie. It's in the franchise, sure, but there's no KOTOR movie
    Well, putting my nit-picking hat on, Enter the Matrix was as much 'based' on the Matrix movies as KOTOR was 'based' on the Star Wars movies. I guess Spike TV guys are just working off a very liberal meaning of the word 'based' :)
    koneko wrote:
    B)You didn't like it? :( What's not to like? :(
    I thought it was brilliant, but even for people that didn't like it, it surely could not be as bad as Enter The Matrix.
    Easy: I didn't like the combat. Not one bit. I thought a balls-out actioner would have suited the silly story and absurd voice-acting a whole lot better than something that requires a whole load of thought and strategy. I thought the Jade Empire combat system was a lot better.

But that's just me - I'm not a fan of those types of games at all. And I think the reason it lost out to Enter the Matrix was because fifty people giving a game a 'ten' just can't compete with fifty thousand people giving a game a 'five'.

(unless, of course, the Spike TV judges used the much fairer method of 'averages' to calculate winners. But since they're demonstratably crackers, I think this is out of their reach).

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Well, putting my nit-picking hat on, Enter the Matrix was as much 'based' on the Matrix movies as KOTOR was 'based' on the Star Wars movies. I guess Spike TV guys are just working off a very liberal meaning of the word 'based' :)

emmm, i remember they released the game with the film and it was all a big tie in and that they were trying to tout the game as essential as the films for the story. they had the worst actress who ever lived and single handendly ruins everything she is ever in (Jada Pinkett Smith btw, i hate her more than most things really) and her husband william smith playing it and talking it up about how it goes with the film very well.
    In fact i dont think there is another game out there that has as much to do with a film as does enter the matrix. ya see the thing is... the films were pretty cack too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The awards are more like...

"The FPS with the Biggest Advertising Budget"
    "The PC Game wit the Biggest Advertising Budget"

etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

BEST GRAPHICS
    Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie (Ubisoft)
    Call of Duty 2 (Activision, Inc.)
    F.E.A.R. (Vivendi Universal Games)
    PGR 3 (Microsoft Game Studios)
    Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)

:eek: :eek:

Is PGR3 even a launch title for the 360?

I must repeat some fello boardsies opinions

Steaming crock of *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

"And award for publisher who paid us the most for adspace, uh, I mean delivered the best game of 2005 is.."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Jazzy wrote:
    haha, fifa aint there but pro-evo/winning eleven is :D

and your point being.........................

Big Ears wrote:
    and your point being.........................

that even these cruddy awards regonise pro evo as the better football game :)
    and im amazed aswell cos fifa is an E.A. game and i would have expected EA to pay a big amount of money to get it nominated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

The 360 for a technology award? One would think that the "BEST BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY" would at least have been released. One would think.

Not much of a breakthrough either. It's a faster xbox with less functionality than a chipped xbox. It will probably win due to the undeserved attention the awards are giving the xbox 360 which would be a shame when the PSP should really get it. And by undeserved I mean the games may deserve it but nobody can tell because they won't be out in time for the awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Jazzy wrote:
    that even these cruddy awards regonise pro evo as the better football game :)
    and im amazed aswell cos fifa is an E.A. game and i would have expected EA to pay a big amount of money to get it nominated

Ah I see , thanks for clearing that up .

Advertisement