Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Segmentation fault

Options
  • 04-11-2005 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hey everyone,
    I was trying to run a php script on my website to create a picture gallery but it doesn't seem to want to work.

When running it from the browser all I get is a download prompt, letting me download the script i want to run.

When attempting to run it from the shell I get this error:

"Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

Has anyone seen this kind of error before? I dont think that its the script because I get the error no matter what I do, even when I run PHP from the shell without any parameters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Cheers,
    esmurph
    the core dump and the script can be found here and here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Has PHP been working OK so far? Do other scripts give the download prompt?

Sounds like your PHP installation is b0rked - either through corruption, or incorrectly compiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 eoinmurphy

Thats the thing.... I dont know if its been working OK so far because I've only started using netsoc as a host. I've emailed them twice but am still waiting to hear back.

I suppose I'll just wait and see what they say.
    Cheers,
    eSmurph

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Try running a script thats just
    <?php 
    phpinfo(); ?>

If that doesn't work, then it's your PHP install.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Yeah, netsoc lists are down right now. Apparently, the list server is a little bit fried right now. As a result, any emails for help are falling on a deaf server. I'll poke responsible bits and see what the story is.

But looking at the fact that it's just displaying the text, I'd imagine that you haven't got php activated. Right now, it's something that members have to explicitly request.

Like I said, those responsible will be poked and problems will be taken care of.

Oh extra thing. Trying to run php scripts from the command line would core because accounts are systraced, and last I heard they hadn't done anything with the cli php command. So it would core because, well, it can't do anything. All system calls from it would be trapped as there'd be no policy to allow them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 eoinmurphy

poking would be greatly appreciated

yeah that test script gave the same result: a download prompt und segmentation fault.
    I'll suppose i'll just wait for the poker to finish the poking.

cheers,
    eSmurph

Like I said, you're always going to get a segfault running php on the command line, because they're running systrace.

Systrace is like zonealarm and the likes on windows... it acts as a monitor over what programs can or can't do. If it wants to access the filesystem, it goes through systrace, if it wants to access a port, it has to to go through systrace. If it wants to BREATHE it needs to go through systrace. And systrace doesn't allow something unless it's specifically told to allow things in a policy. And the policy for php isn't written yet because it's a damned difficult one to write - just like there aren't any for scripting languages like perl or python yet.

So there's no point in trying to run that right now. To be honest it shouldn't have been in your path.

Anyway, you're going to get a response from one of the ops by way of the rest.

Advertisement