Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-3 Reunion

Options
  • 04-11-2005 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I loved Elite on the BBC Micro (retro!) and Frontier on the Amiga, and this looks sweet. But now I'm hearing that it was a rushed release...there's already a patch on the site and another one planned. Better than no patch at all but it was obviously released with bugs. Been some nice reviews though. Anybody pick it up and see what it's like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

woah is this out already? gotta get my hands on that.
    i loved x2, but i played it most for the building and trading etc. the story was wayyyy too shallow.
    i heard the story in x3 revolves around the whole building-yourself-up-to-be-the-best-in-the-galaxy thing, so it should be a lot better.

i think it got rushed as while they were making it, they were also making an expansion for x2. but they scrapped it at the last minute and put all their work into x3.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Sounds rushed alright. After reading a bit more about it it's meant to be a little unstable, and even with a top end PC stutters and has poor framerate. Apparently this is gonna be cleared up with future patches, so I think I'll wait a while before picking this up. Looks great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the game is......... fantastic.

starforce being present aside.....

the game is gorgeous, a lot of the problems in x2 have been fixed, the mission scripts are fairly decent and the economy is ver yvery well done.

my only gripe is the system hog it is.

jaggeh what kind of system are you running it on? I've heard "game of the year" been throw about in just about every review I've read, not sure if my PC would be up to the task though.

amd 64bit 2800
    gf 6800
    1.5 gig ram

running on an lcd monitor atm 1280x1024. when i get home ill run it on my 22" CRT at 1600x1200. but the game is a beaut im enjoying it immensly.

my only other gripe with it was the cost, smyths didnt have it and didnt look like they were getting it so i had to pay 10 quid more to get it from gamestop :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Would like to try this at some stage.
    Played X2 a while back. Really liked it but never got past the inital first slog of factories. Plus I now have a 2 monitor set up which will be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

I'm having to keep away from GAME in case I buy it; I'd say I spent 40 or 50 hours on X2 and ony managed to buy one Corvette. If I buy this I will fail 2nd Year, without a shadow of a doubt.

I've actually never played any of the X games before, but from the looks of things it's as close to a modern day Elite as there's gonna be until Elite 4!

Hmm, I've got 128mb graphics, 3.6Ghz and 2048mb RAM, think I'll pick it up and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

The game looks absolutely gorgeous at the best graphical settings, but if you load up to run through a mission i would suggest dropping down to low quality, low resolution, with filtering and post-processor effects off as some parts can absolutely crawl. Even with those settings I barely had a high enough framerate to get the crosshair on targets fast enough to kill them. You'll see what I mean when you run through the second mission. For generally running around trading and small scale combat even a mid range PC should have no problem with maxed settings, though you may beed to stick to 1024x768.

From what I have seen, the economy is a huge improvement on X2. Although it does make profits a little more difficult to come across early on, there is great scope for filling gaps in the supply market once you get on your feet.

(Edit: Make sure to download and apply the latest (1.2 atm) patch before playing for the first time. Apparently it is buggy as hell out of the box)

Picked this up yesterday, couldn't stop playing it all of today, it's excellent. Took a bit of tweaking to get it to run smoothly, but plenty of advice on the official forum, runs grand for me now.

From what I've read on the forum there's a lot of plot bugs, and even a problem with corrupt saves which is a bit worrying after the amount of time I can see myself putting into this game! There's a 1.2.1 patch due soon which should clear up the plot bugs, and 1.3 is due later in the month which apparently should improve frame rates and performance, so can't wait for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

I have X2 and I quite like it, so my question is apart from the Graphics and story line (Which i hear is poor anyhow) Is it really worth me getting X3?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

If you don't want to upgrade for the graphics - then no its probably not worth upgrading from X2 to X3. Sure, the economy might actually work in this game now, but apart from the graphics, which are nice, the rest was a really lazy job. Everything is pretty much lifted from X2. For example, the text of the bulletin board news updates and missions are the same as in X2. Why would they DO that? How lazy can you get? It involves editing a text file for christs sake! Also, the game runs like sh1t on a lot of systems which really should be able to handle it. They've got some major work to do in future patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Found X2 kind of hard. I got to one mission where there was these mines and where i wanted to go these mins blocked me. Get close to them and you blow up. So just gave it up.

i remember that mission :P

you had to inspect a ruined jumpgate. you needed missiles to take out the mines, once that was done you could move in :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You mean people actually played the storyline? I just got enough money together to buy a fleet of haulers (boring as **** that was) till I then built up enough money to buy my first SPP which go plonked in Kingdoms end and from there the moolah rolled in. Then you start chaining factories and damn I loved X2 even with all the flaws.

Barely touched the storyline.

Might load up the game again and not play the sotryline and just go and do some damage.

jaggeh wrote:
    i remember that mission :P

you had to inspect a ruined jumpgate. you needed missiles to take out the mines, once that was done you could move in :v:

Yeah thats the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 l1nvx

Hey i just got this game and installed it and i want to not have to use the DVD/CDS and i tried to use a no-dvd/cd crack but they did not work... what do i do how do i get it to work without the cd??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If its got startforce as said above, you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

l1nvx wrote:
    Hey i just got this game and installed it and i want to not have to use the DVD/CDS and i tried to use a no-dvd/cd crack but they did not work... what do i do how do i get it to work without the cd??

Reading the Charter of this forum would be my first step if I were you. I'm not you and if I was I would be a little scared right now. Just a little.

P.s. I am writing this on a 32" TV in my front room. THE POWER!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 l1nvx

did i do something wrong sir?? i got thr game legal i just don't like using cd's becuase i scratch them and crap by accident.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

l1nvx wrote:
    did i do something wrong sir?? i got thr game legal i just don't like using cd's becuase i scratch them and crap by accident.
    You scratch your cd's and then crap yourself? Dude, see a doctor.

And eh, yea - although your intentions may be int he right place trying to get someone to tell you how to find a no-cd crack for a game wont go down too well. But I'm not a mod so you bull on if you like taking risks...

That's Starforce for ya, lotta people don't like it.

And you tried a crack that didn't work? I'd do a virus scan if I were you...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

l1nvx wrote:

Read the charter. Back on topic. Last warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Absolutely loved elite 2 on my old amige. lost months to it. Bought x2 when it came out on budget but never got into it properly cause i didnt have as much time to devote to it as it needed. Would love to get x3 but alas i doubt i will. shed a tear for me as you play :(

Scruff wrote:
    shed a tear for me as you play :(

the pirate in me says no (he also says YARRR)
    the gamer in me says i feel your pain

Advertisement