Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend and external cd-r for a laptop.

• 24-09-2001 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any experience with external cd-r for laptops. My bro has a Toshiba laptop and is looking for a cd-r to use with it.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Vex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

HP 9600 series usb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

My friend uses a Yamaha SCSI drive (from a PCMCIA SCSI card), and it is sooooo sweet, he runs a few HD's off it too.

The other option is firewire, which has most of the advantages of SCSI but also means you can connect up a Digital Video Camera to your lappie too. nice.

Personaly I wouldnt go near USB, anything more than a joystick, or a webcam is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

The freecom usb cdrw is a beauty. Its on sale here, and is easy to install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

Yeah..for External burners, wothout the expense of going with a SCSI card, USB *IS* the way to go. Mate of mine swears by his External Iomega ZipCD, little slow for me, but then again, I have an internal burner on my laptop anyway, so I don't really care!! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Cheers guys

I should have mentioned that he is running NT4 on the machine, so I think that puts usb out, so its either pcmcia or parallel (hows that spelt) or upgrade to win2k.

• Advertisement

well, parallel is probably the easiest to use then.
    usb will need an update to win2k, but could be worth it.
    firewire i sfastest, but like scsi need to spend out on a special pcmcia card.
    so id go for either parallel if you can get one or the usb.
    nt upgrades very easy from NT anyway, so there should be no real glich there.,

but you know this already :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Vexorg
    Cheers guys

I should have mentioned that he is running NT4 on the machine, so I think that puts usb out, so its either pcmcia or parallel (hows that spelt) or upgrade to win2k.

Question: what about external SCSI, he's prolly got a SCSI port on the back for a docking station... can those be used for other hardware?

What kind of prices are the aforementioned beasts?

Al.

Hiya Al

I'm not sure if the docking station port is scsi, its not like any scsi port I have seen, but I am open to correction. While most lap tops have a docking port, i have seen pcmcia to scsi adapters for most makes also. It would be very handy if it is a scsi port.

Anyone able to confirm or otherwise?

Vex

afaik most docking ports are not scsi, they just tend to be scsi type connectors for mouse/keyboard/monitor etc etc.
    some of the newer gateways had to ports for the docking station, and they all differ in size between laptops, let alone manufacturers.
    if you have the cash to spend choose scsi asit will give you the widest choice of peripherals to choose from, not only for cd-rw's but anything. which is nice. if you reall y need speed though go for firewire.
    personally id go for the usb as it means you can upgrade to win2k (always a plus) and usb is nice and easy and cheap.
    but you go and do your own thing. you always have. just like a free spirit gerry, noone can ever pin you down. not even the love of a good donkey.
    but i digress......

Hi wwwman,

Is you donkey scsi and if so does it like yogart?

Vex.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Vexorg
    Hi wwwman,

Is you donkey scsi and if so does it like yogart?

Vex.

dont be stupid you silly bearded D&D mage.
    of course it likes yoghurt.
    it is cultured.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

Can't believe your still using NT on a laptop, get out there and put Win2K on it, you wont believe the difference, and then you can go and get your USB CDRW an all!!! :-)

Advertisement