Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XFX 6600GT crash

Options
  • 04-11-2005 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was playing FEAR the last day when suddenly the screen went black, but the computer was still running in the background. I switched off the power and then back on. The power came on but the computer refused to boot. The monitor would not turn on either, i.e. the power light would not go from orange to green. I know that the computer was not booting up because the motherboard has an error code LED which was stuck on 25, of course this error code is undiffined in the motherboard manual.

I then placed an older Graphics card in the computer and this one will allow the computer to boot. The screen also turns on at boot up, however just before the main Windows screen appears the screen turns off and will not turn back on. From what i remember the screen normally turns off for a split second before the main windows screen comes on though i could be wrong.
    The computer and screen work fine in safe mode, as this power flicker of the monitor does not seem to occur.

I have given up hope that the Graphics Card (XFX 6600 GT) is salvagable and have contacted XFX with my problem, but i was wondering if i can do anything just to get the computer working. Is there any tool that can check if the AGP slot was dammaged during the initial crash. I can ts into the computer from my laptop so i will be able to install any config tools if there is any out there.

My computer specs are:
    Intel 3.2ghz p4 prescot, Epox 4pca3+, 2*512 ddr 400 patriot ram, XFX 6600 GT( card that crashed ), Gainward 5600( card that is half working ), WD 37.5 GB Raptor harddrive.

I know its a long shot to fix this and i will probably have to by a new mobo, but any help\advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

Im having a problem with my 6600GT, though its the Aopen model. My computer freezes when running intensive 3d applications and becomes completely unresponsive. It boots fine after a restart though. I have isolated the problem to overheating so check whether this is the case with your card. You can do this by right clicking your desktop-> properties->settings->advanced->geforce 6600gt and from the menu that pops out click temperature settings. If the temperature is over 70 degrees it is more than likely to be the problem. Note-> you must check this while the card is under a heavy workload so try running a graphics-heavy app in a window while keeping the thermometer utility open beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

That might have been the problem, i have got the blue screen of death the odd time when i was playing games. I can't check it know though, cause the comp wont boot with the XFX card installed. If i have fried the the XFX card would it cause damage to the AGP slot. As of now I still have the same problem of the screen turning off just before the windows main screen displays when using the older card. I have flashed the bios with the latest version, but it didn't help.

If it is a case the card died because of overheating i hope XFX\Komplett don't throw it back in my face saying it was my fault.

Advertisement