Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help needed - registering .ie domain name

Options
  • 24-09-2001 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Any advise anyone would have on this matter I would greatly appreciate.

I've never registered a .ie domain name before. I've modified lots of nameservers with .ie domain names before, and of course registered lots of .com's :)

I've sent in my registration request form via e-mail, asking to register my chosen domain, let's just call it somethingsomething.ie , jus in case anyone wants to screw me, not that you would ;)

So i get an e-mail back today
    Hi

Thanks for your email. However, all applicants need to show a
    legal claim to the proposed domain name. Please advise if the
    applicant has a Registered Business Name, trademark etc for
    Something Something. Otherwise, please can you confirm where the
    proposed domain name is derived from.

Thanks in advance.
    Pearl

It is a pharmacy that is registering this domain name. And they don't want to register the name of their company, as it is long and boring, but rather a healthy concept kinda name ;)

Could someone please tell me THE fastest way there is to get an irish domain registered. Like where is the fastest, cheapest place to take out a trademark, or to provide something that the Irish Domain Registry will accept?

Like would explaining the situation to them about being a pharmacy help?

btw I specifially said in the e-mail that it was not a trademark, but rather a "Discretionary Name", which is an option they have, and why the heck do you need a legal claim to a discretionary name? I dunno ...

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭acidweb

You could register a business name to stake your claim.

Go to: www.cro.ie and fill out a form. I think it cost's about £25 to register it. IEDR should accept this as proof to claim the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

thx acid !

I will do just that! I've checked out the web-site and downloaded the form I need. I'll also give the IEDR a ring tomorrow, maybe I can just keep on complaining until they give me the domain. Surely even one domain out of the 20,000 registered, was issued without having a full legal claim to it.

hehe ... lol I see your also using my StatCounter on your web-site. Cool! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭acidweb

Can't complain, always referr clients to you too. Keep up the amazing work!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

As a suggestion, you might get the pharmacy in question to set up this "discretionary name" as a legal trading name of their company.

That should be more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Of course tell them it's a pharmacy! You need a legitimate right to have the name, but it doesn't have to be a business name.

I've registered quite a few very generic .ie domains for various clients on the basis that their business is closely related to the name.

-Ross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

wasn't sure whether to resurrect this thread from the dead or not. Just wanted to thank you all for your help. We got the domain name registered today. We just faxed in a page on headed paper explaining our claim to the domain name and we got it no problem, no need for registering trade marks or anything.

thx again everyone.

oh btw it is herbalhealth.ie :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

herbalhealth.ie eh?

mmmmmmmmm

*Dav sparks up*

Advertisement