Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundry Extension: Different scenarios - Rename Limerick city to Clare City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ricey wrote:
    I say Clare can keep Clare Limerick dont want it...lol
    ya well dublin is going into wicklow,kildare and meath and people still are calling it dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭chubba1984

they should just make the shannon the border (as used to be the case) and let clare have the gaelic grounds and thomond park!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

You are sadly mistaken chubba, the Shannon was only used as boundary by the british since famine times, prior to that Limerick city's boundary was 5 times larger than it is today. It's origins probably goes back to the kingdom of Thomond. Historically lands on the far side of the Shannon were always Limerick's until the british changed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

Jeeze Louise....The Limerick City Boundary Extention is totally necessary development which will improve the lives of exeryone in the whole region ie having a proper city at thier disposal. There are some contensious issues (the inclusion of townlands like parteen into Limerick but altogether its proposal involves taking a measley 1,621 hectares from Clare. The subjected towland is as follows:
    'Limerick N. Rural ED Limerick S. Rural ED Ballycummin ED Ballyglass ED
    Clonmacken* Rathurd (Limerick S)* Ballykeefe* Garraun* (Ballyglass) Caherdavin* Rosbrien* Gouldavoher* QuinspoolSouth*Knock* BallysheedyEast* Dooradoyle* Parteen*
    Shanabooley* Rathbane South* Sluggary* St. Thomas' Island* Ballygrennan* RebogeMeadow* Ballycummin* Fairyhill*
    Cloncanane* Reboge* Bunlicky Kilquane*Clondrinagh Singland* Skehacreggaun Knockballynameath*
    Coonagh East Banemore Baunacloka Gortatogher* Coonagh West Bohereen Caheranardrish Ballykeelaun* (part)
    Crossagalla Castlemungret Athlunkard*Ballysimon ED Crabbes Land Conigar Shannakyle*
    Monaclinoe Dromdarrig Cloonoughter*Ballysimon* Inchmore Loughlanleagh QuinnspoolNorth
    Newtown* Loughmore Common Rosmadda East Kilbane* Ballyvarra ED Lurraga RosmaddaWest
    Newcastle* ClooncarhyCastletroy* Monteen Rathmale Cappavilla ED
    Dromroe* RiversSreelane* Gilloge
    Garryglass Roxborough ED GarraunKnockananty Srawickeen
    Ballysimon Staunton Ballysheedy West* Towlerton Routagh* Killeely ED
    Rathurd(Rox)Bohereen(Rox) Gortgarraun
    BallycannonEDKnockalisheen

from (http://www.limerickcity.ie/services/planning/pl_CityBoundaryExtension_2004-10-Proposal.html)

If something is not done limerick will no longer be a city because by european standards the population of Limerick is in fear of becoming too small to be a 'City' and will become a town, which is really bad news for the whole Shannon region, and Limericks neighbours ie Clare
    As for swopping Clare and Limerick? Huh??? I'd like to see how that would work

I could always help the dwindling population of Limerick fiasco by moving back there........... But my sanity is more important to me!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Trouble wrote:
    I could always help the dwindling population of Limerick fiasco by moving back there........... But my sanity is more important to me!!!!

we'll try, but i think we will manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Physically, it would seem like a good idea and economically for the city council.. a great idea. But.. for the county council.. it would mean a gigantic cut in financial gain. The rural economy of Co. Limerick cannot provide sufficient financial support, as their retail and office developments come no where near those they have at present. So what's the solution?! Expand the urban potential of the larger towns and settlements in Co. Limerick.. the likes of Newcastlewest, Kilmallock and say Rathkeale? Can you see that happening?

Yes but all those people living in County Council area's are of such a proximity to the city anyway. If the boundary was extended then the people effected would be under the City council. And the County Council would be left to deal with what they should be dealing with, the County. To be honest heavely populated areas like castletroy and raheen should not be under the County Counci for many reasons ie water supply, polution etc. The City council would be far better equiped to deal with these things if these areas were actually technically in the city.

But the City Council is offering to compensate the county council financially for any revenue lost as a result of the expansion.

I am of the opinion that Limerick city council and county council should be merged.

I am curious though how they are able to run Dublin city through three different county councils and they seem to be doing ok.

I see your points.. but..

1. Financial compensation now means very little in 10 years time..
    2. Merging both city and county councils.. just don't think it's a good idea. As it is there is a lot of friction between the two .. not to mention anything else. A city needs an independent authority.. I suppose they provide competition for each other even..
    3. Yes I agree with the population density argument, it does seem appropriate that urbanised areas would be more suitably catered for by the city council.. but not always the case. How is the city dealing with other suburban areas in Limerick??? How successful are they?

• Advertisement

Yes that does make sense cork girl but the main problem is that Limerick does not have enough room to grow, mainly due to bad planning originally (what else is new!) the current boundaries were laid in 1950, and in the early 70's the 1st application was made to extend it. The population then was around 57,000. the population not too much higher than that now, so its clear to see that growth is something that the city needs,
    Regarding the council, Limerick City Council is going to compensate the County council.
    Due to the way that they operate now, the people of limerick city, who are not technically in the city have a lower quality of the efficency of services as the county council has to take the rural hinterland as a higher priority.
    If it does go ahead, it will give the county council the opportunity to deliver an efficent service to the rural hinterland and the City council to deliver to the people actually in the city.

It would be interesting to see what they have planned to do with the extra space .. in relation to the existing fabric of the area say around the Crescent.. would it mean the rezoning of areas to allow for higher densities, making a difference to existing residents who consider themselves in a suburban environment?

I don't think that the extension plans are for the purpose of re-zoning, there is tremendous growth in those areas as it is, and im sure that that would continue at an accetable level as it is at the moment, the crux of the problem is Limericks future development as a European City. This will be impossible without the extension as the population will never rise in line with the rest of Europe and Limerick would be just left behind.

fair enough.. though it is getting the new Coonagh Cross Retail development isn't it? sounds like it should be a pretty big boost to the city, and the new architecture faculty in UL.. Limerick isn't really falling behind either. That's something that Cork I'm sure would have liked to attract.. ;)

on the extension matter.. I'm still not completely sold.. definitely don't agree with the whole Clare city!! idea.. but also think that Limerick has the potential to market itself for what it is.. strategically its location is pretty good.. and if the new transport plans ever see the light of day it would be great for the city.

A lot of brownfield, derelict and underused premises should really be looked into too though in the city centre. The city has a lot of potential within the boundary as it is.. which is currently being neglected imo

Between 1951, approximately the date of the last boundary extension,
    and 1981 the population of Limerick City increased by 0.59 per cent
    per annum rising from 50,828 persons in 1951 to 60,736 persons in
    1981. Over the subsequent fifteen years to 1996 the population of the
    City declined by 1.02 per cent per annum falling from 60,736 persons
    in 1981 to 52,039 in 1996. The net effect of population growth and
    decline over the forty five years from 1951 to 1996 was an increase of
    1,211 persons, 2.38 per cent, in the population of Limerick City (see
    again Table 1). Between 1996 and 2002 the population of the City rose
    slightly to 54,058 persons ñ an increase of 3.8%. Overall in the 51 years
    since 1951 an increase of 6.3% was recorded in the City population.

C.2.2 In sharp contrast the populations of the State and the Mid-West Region
    increased by 32.3 and 21.4 per cent respectively over the same period.
    Similarly the populations in Counties Clare and Limerick increased by
    26.9 and 34.1 per cent respectively (see again Table 1).
    (source: http://www.limerickcity.ie/services/planning/pl_CityBoundaryExtension_2004-10-Proposal.html)

This is grossly uneven and the reason is that that the areas considered 'county' are actually really in the city, Unless everyone was to dig up thier houses and physically drop them into the current city boundary, the population counts will remain dramatically low and Limerick may as well fall off into the Shannon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Well it looks like the boundary issue is'nt going to be sorted anytime soon!!

What can we do in teh meantime to keep this city running despite the pressures??

Would higher densities be an option?
    making this city more attractive by having marina facilties etc?

this city has a lot of potential with the River shannon as an asset.
    Maybe a few more highrises on the Ennis Road site overlooking the river, just like the Riverpoint. I supppose the Riverpoint added a few hundred people into our boundary ,I dont see anything wrong with them going up there if there around 20 storeys, I'm not going to reaact to the caustic phoabia people that are against anything higher than 5 storeys ala lal la la .

this city needs growth, It can't sustain under the present population rates growing marginally. the city has very little land left to expand anyway/

The question about high rises though is, have we roads in the city limits wide enough to cater for the amount of traffic which would be generated from these high rises?

The question about high rises though is, have we roads in the city limits wide enough to cater for the amount of traffic which would be generated from these high rises?

Well the Ennis road area could do with a few more distrubuter roads and I heard recently the new shannon tunnell will halve the traffic curently passing the bridges, and a revamp of the public transport , this will cost money of course maybe, even a metro:D

Cork_girl wrote:
    Physically, it would seem like a good idea and economically for the city council.. a great idea. But.. for the county council.. it would mean a gigantic cut in financial gain. The rural economy of Co. Limerick cannot provide sufficient financial support, as their retail and office developments come no where near those they have at present. So what's the solution?! Expand the urban potential of the larger towns and settlements in Co. Limerick.. the likes of Newcastlewest, Kilmallock and say Rathkeale? Can you see that happening?
    and hospital :D we are one of the biggest towns in limerick county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

so whats the latest news on the boundary proposal
    wasnt a new proposal sent up to dublin or something?
    when should we hear new news on that??
    this is so essential, the city itself needs it if it wants to grow further and keep up with cities like galway.

• Advertisement

Last I heard from last week in the Leader it said that the proposal had been sent to the Department of the Environment.

Maybe Willie O dea could shine on this one:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

yeah i doubt it unfortunately! this is willie o dea were talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

In relation to the council thing, it turns out whats your face thinks that the councils should now merge! He also says that the city council cant run the city effectivly at all, espically since they now have to pay out 80% of next years income o pay Uniform Construction for a job they never did!!!!

In relation to the council thing, it turns out whats your face thinks that the councils should now merge! He also says that the city council cant run the city effectivly at all, espically since they now have to pay out 80% of next years income o pay Uniform Construction for a job they never did!!!!

well Limerick City council is going to go under because of the Uniform debacle. A commissioner could be appointed in March, and the council could be disolved.

Personally I wouldnt have a problem with Liemrick Co Council taking over the City. as long as they extended that boundry.

do you people really think the government dosnt know what the population of limerick is, it wont make a difference if you get the extension or not, big companies know all about the cities before the go there and ida ireland shows the cities real population, i see no point in the city getting the extension it wont change anything, so what you will be called the 3rd city big deal.The county is a much bigger place that is much more spread out with a bigger population so if you guys take dooradoyle etc you can have rathkeale aswell :D
    come on people if you were in the county you would be agreeing with me and i would probably be agreeing with you if i was in the city but you guys already have way better services than us and if you get the extension we will get even worse and you will get better can you honestly say thats fair, I think not

From my perception I see Limerick is been treated like the fourth city of Ireland. I don't know if other see it like that

I have scrolled internet pages and have seen Galway been stated as the third city on numerous sites and been Galway stated more populous than Limerick!

Why are the Radiotherpy and medical stuff going to Galway rather than Limerick?

Why does limerick not have Mark & spensers yet.
    Most

the Census state Galway as the 3rd official city of Ireland:rolleyes:

most of us know the true figures but don't admit that Limerick is way bigger.

has anyone else got backup on this?

That because for years the County council never drew attention towards the County , in fact I personally think places like Rathkeale was neglected,

Why do you think all these sprawl is happining in place like hospital and Castletroy?

Why can't Limerick County focus on Newcastlewest as there county council headquaters, its already boomoing because of its proximty of Limerick city anyway.

the fact is Limerick has no room to expand and has the smallest boundary of all the cities in ireland, this can't stay like this and that is that:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

1huge1 wrote:
    come on people if you were in the county you would be agreeing
    Well I'm in the county! And I want a boundary extension... I am very proud of Limerick city, and i feel excluded because really i dont live in Limerick city!

• Advertisement

Well I'm in the county! And I want a boundary extension... I am very proud of Limerick city, and i feel excluded because really i dont live in Limerick city!
    Can you give me a good reason that limerick should get a extension?and saying that its stopping big companies coming to limerick isnt true the do all checks on these before moving here
    sure thats what ida is here for and the show the true population of limerick city
    its wont benefit the city but it will make things worse for the people in the county who already are at a big disadvantage when it comes to services

Advertisement