Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking newbee

Options
  • 04-11-2005 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all, I know this question has been asked before but I'd just like to clear up a few things I'm not sure about before I purchase any devices.

I have 3 PC's with win xp pro (they all have Lan ports) in a small office, I'd like to network them to share broadband and two printers. One printer is usb and the orther has a parrell port.

Am I right in saying you connect all of the computers to a network switch and the broadband router?

Do I just get a printer server for each printer USB and Parrell and also connect them to the network switch?

Should it all work with out to much hassell or do I need a computer degree?

Thanks in advanced

Phil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Am I right in saying you connect all of the computers to a network switch and the broadband router?

Yes. The router may even have a few ethernet ports meaning you would not need to buy a switch.

Do I just get a printer server for each printer USB and Parrell and also connect them to the network switch?

You can leave them attched to the PC's and enable sharing on them so you can use any PC to print to any printer. saves a few bob this way. PC's with printer must be switched on of course.

Should it all work with out to much hassell or do I need a computer degree?

Quite straightforward as long as you do everything right. Do a google on home networks and you'll find plenty of guides. Any problems post them here and someone will help. Happy networking.:D

Advertisement